Which Do You Prefer COPY or TRANSFER?

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Regarding non full perm items, which do you prefer...COPY or TRANSFER?

1)  Furnishings. 

COPY or TRANSFER?  

With copy you can copy as many chairs as you want for example.  But, with transfer, you could have your own little yard sale when you want to re-decorate or sell your items.

2)  Clothing.

COPY or TRANSFER?

With copy, you can make little outfits with the outfit feature.  With transfer, you can have a yard sale when you are tired of your old clothes.

So which do you prefer?  

Edited by FairreLilette

The argument Phil makes is the same music companies made about making copies of your cd's oh no if you want to listen to your music in the car you either need to take the disc in or buy another copy. Everyone agreed this was crap and ignored them. A lot of governments then stepped in and passed laws to say copying your cd's for personal use is just fine including the uk government. Furniture and goods in sl are closer to CD's in nature than they are rl furniture

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It was strongly implied by your entire argument.

You are totally mistaken.

This is the (disparaging) comment we are talking about -"It's greed to want to minimise your expenditure, but it's not greed to want to maximise your income. Now I get it."

This is what I said when someone suggested it was greed on my part:-

"It might have been be greed on my part. It probably was."

Notice how I did not say that it's not greed to want to maximise your income.

The only thing you are right about in that comment is that I said that the main reason why people want to copy furniture is greed. Someone wrote that he wants to only buy one but put it in 4 houses. Landlords want to only buy one (or pay for 3) and put it in dozens of homes. Neither wants to pay for what they use. That's what I mean. But that's only half of the original statement. You were wrong about the other half, so were wrong that "It was strongly implied by [my] entire argument".

Edited by Phil Deakins

12 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

The argument Phil makes is the same music companies made about making copies of your cd's oh no if you want to listen to your music in the car you either need to take the disc in or buy another copy. Everyone agreed this was crap and ignored them. A lot of governments then stepped in and passed laws to say copying your cd's for personal use is just fine including the uk government. Furniture and goods in sl are closer to CD's in nature than they are rl furniture

Irrelevant. I can't fathom why you are so keen on arguing about it. I sold how I sold, and I sold extremely successfully. I don't sell now, so why are you so keen on arguing the toss about it? Is it because you really hate it when someone has a different point of view?

Edited by Phil Deakins

I didn't specifically call landlords greedy. Definitely not. This is the post where I brought greed into the discussion. You may have meant it because I included landlords.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm going to step on a lot of toes now :)

Imo, the main reason why people want copyable furntiture is greed. Examples: They want to place a copy in several rooms, or in more than one building, or they want to rez a copy or two for friends if they like it, or they rent homes out and they want to put one or more in each home, but they don't want to pay for them.

There are other minor reason, but that, imo, is the most common reason for wanting copyable furniture.

I definitely haven't edited out anything that's remotely similar to specifically calling landlords greedy. Heck, I was one myself in earlier times - quite small with only 60+ homes rented out - and I used either copyable furniture or self-made furniture.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I didn't specifically call landlord greedy. Definitely not. This is the post where I brought greed into the discussion. You may have meant it because I included landlords.

I definitely haven't edited out anything that's remotely similar to specifically calling landlords greedy. Heck, I was one myself in earlier times - quite small with only 60+ homes rented out -, and I used either copyable furniture or self-made furniture.

So..nobody’s greedy?

Correct. There is no right and wrong in this. Everyone sells according to how the prefer to sell, and everyone is right for him/herself. I haven't argued that no-copy is right. I've only saud that that's how I used to sell, and I explained why. That's all.

Of course, if a seller only sells no-copy, and s/he doesn't sell much, then it's the wrong choice for him/her. By the same token, if a seller only sells no-copy and s/he sells loads of it, then it's the right choice for him/her. Each buyer makes his/her own choices of what right and wrong from him/herself.

So to repeat it is, there is no overall right or wrong in this. There are only individual choices.

18 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's my opinion that the main reason why people don't want to buy no-copy furniture is greed. You know that's what I said, and you're just being argumentative for no good reason.

It never crossed my mind that I might be greedy, wanting to rez two copies of a sofa so friends could meet for a chat. :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Do you consider that people who see no-copy furniture might think the creator is being greedy?

It never crossed my mind before this discussion. My whole selling experience has been wwith customers who simply bought what they wanted, and some who wanted no-copy. Most of the latter bought in quantity discounts, and some skipped it. What they thought never occured to me, but it wouldn't have made any difference because I did extremely well.

11 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It never crossed my mind that I might be greedy, wanting to rez two copies of a sofa so friends could meet for a chat. :(

It's just somebody's opinion. Don't take it to heart. Each of us is what know ourselves to be, and other people's opinions are irrelevant if they differ with ours.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Good grief! Mine, of course. I thought you could read ;)

For instance, I know that I am not argumentative, but others think tha.... wait. Cancel that. It doesn't work.

For instance, I know darned well that I am very good looking in spite of wha....hmm...that doesn't work either.

For instance, I know that you are a really nice pers.... erm... that's ridiculous.

Oh, forget it!

Edited by Phil Deakins

21 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

More detailed. Imo, those who think I want n sofas for n rooms/houses, but I only want to buy one and keep the rest of my money that the other n sofas would cost, are greedy.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Definitely Copy and Copy.

For rezzable stuff (Furniture, vehicles, etc) there is just way too much chance some SL glitch will lose your stuff (or break it) - even if that chance is 0.001:100 it's still too much of a chance for me (I've been burned in losing no-copy stuff in the past.)

As for clothes: absofarkinglutely copy. Sure, you could *try* to resell used mesh clothing except for this one problem: Smart shoppers will never, ever buy mesh anything that is worn without a demo first. That or sell it for less than 25L then if it were an 1800L Fat-Pack.

I never buy anything that is no copy if I can avoid it. Though I did buy a Gacha Tuk-Tuk HUD (a three-wheeled vehicle) - where the HUD that I purchased is no-copy, but it rezzes the vehicle, which is copy. Odd that one, I say. Definitely the rare exception to my normal policy. :)

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

More detailed. Imo, those who think I want n sofas for n rooms/houses, but I only want to buy one and keep the rest of my money that the other n sofas would cost, are greedy.

But making one sofa and reselling it isn't?

In the real world,you would have to make each sofa you sold, each time for each of their rooms and each of their houses..

Greedy isn't wanting to save money..Greedy is a desire for wealth and power..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks this has turned into maybe the silliest "Argue With Phil" thread ever?

He made furniture and sold it cheap but no-copy. He had no intention (in my opinion) of being lauded as the brains behind a wonderful new business model. I don't think he was trying to make a statement nor start a trend. It was just his way of running his business (which seems to have worked pretty well for him). He's been saying for years that he no longer actively runs his store (although I believe he once mentioned that it still produces some income). The issue, in his case, is entirely moot.

I personally vastly prefer copiable furniture because I quite often wind up liking something even better after having it, and want to put one in a different room, or make a matched set (I've never had more than one house at a time). I do own some no-copy furniture, though: a pair of chairs, both of which I had to buy separately. They were exactly what I had in mind when I shopped for them so to me it was (and still is two houses later) worth it. I just have to be very, very careful to put them in a 'recollectable' spot in my inventory when I pick 'em up.

Getting back to greedy old Phil ;-), this really has been a silly argument. He had a business method. Customers who didn't like the method were perfectly capable of doing what unhappy customers tend to do: vote with their feet, as the expression goes. There's nothing at all here to argue about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But making one sofa and reselling it isn't?

It depends how you define 'greedy'. Nevertheless, I already said that me wanting to make money by selling stuff was probably greedy.

In the real world,you would have to make each sofa you sold, each time for each of their rooms and each of their houses..

Yes you would, but I don't see what point you are making. In both worlds, furniture sellers sell furniture for profit, and they generally try to make as much profit as they can.

Greedy isn't wanting to save money. Greedy is a desire for w`ealth and power..

No it's not, and nobody said it was. We all want to save money. Greedy is wanting more for your money than you are offered. It's also taking most of the cakes when others are wanting some too ;) It's not just a desire for wealth and power.

Edited by Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.