Which Do You Prefer COPY or TRANSFER?

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Regarding non full perm items, which do you prefer...COPY or TRANSFER?

1)  Furnishings. 

COPY or TRANSFER?  

With copy you can copy as many chairs as you want for example.  But, with transfer, you could have your own little yard sale when you want to re-decorate or sell your items.

2)  Clothing.

COPY or TRANSFER?

With copy, you can make little outfits with the outfit feature.  With transfer, you can have a yard sale when you are tired of your old clothes.

So which do you prefer?  

Edited by FairreLilette

34 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I didn't suggest that that's not the case. I gave my point of view. I included that attitudes might have changed over the years. But I'd still never sell copyable furniture.

As I said, if you sell something that people want, and it's no copy, most people will probably suspend their no-copy attitude and buy it.

Until someone with the equivalent skill set makes essentially the same thing in copyable form, which will probably take a matter of weeks.

• Like 3

Copy/mod for the furniture and other big things, like houses. 100% if it's something "usable", i.e. furniture with lots of poses, like beds/sofas/chairs. I like to mess with my items, mod them and add/remove things too. I usually add or remove some poses, change the order of menus to my liking and remove useless (for me) stuff from furniture, like those xcite/sensations/aeros/etc scripts. I wouldn't risk with 2k L$ no-copy bed trying to do this, since sometimes things break and I have to start over with clean copy. So no-copy on those = no buy for me.

Clothing - usually copy/mod too. Although if I really like the item and see I will use it as is, I'm fine with some gacha here and there, even though I never bothered to re-sell a single gacha myself.

Only exceptions for no-copy items I often make are small decor items, I have quite a few and some are very unique and lovely. Would love to have some of them in copy perms, but not too sad about that, more reasons to look for more things like that.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

1)  Furnishings. 

COPY or TRANSFER?  

Copy, I'm very unlikely to actually try and sell my furniture I would rather be able to copy it and know I can put it in multiple houses.

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

2)  Clothing.

COPY or TRANSFER?

Copy+Mod always. Sure I won't modify most items (other than re positioning them) but I want to have the ability to modify them and keep a backup so copy is required.

Merchants/creators can, of course, sell whatever perms they wish, but I can assure you there is a MASSIVE market/desire if you'd prefer, for copyable furniture and household/decor/landscape goods out there-and that this has existed since at least 2008. I won't claim to know what other individuals' situations or experiences were, but I can speak as a consumer and merchant, and someone that frequently talked to others in both camps too(especially back then, was still gettin' my feets wet as a creator, still am, probably). Copy items have been a big hit for over a decade now, and for good reason. In fact, that's a huge part of why some merchants charge what they do for their work, because they know people will be willing to pay more for not only quality, but also quantity(ie, copy). This is doubly so for those with rental businesses, or businesses that sell furnished homes(even skyboxes).

If someone can make as many copies of your product as they wish, you're still receiving advertising on top of initial purchase price, which will serve you well if you have great products or mad skills. Hell some of the furniture I own I only own(ok maybe not only, but initial reason..) because I rented somewhere, or visited somewhere that had that creator's wares and I really liked it. I'm willing to drop a pretty penny when necessary, if/when I have it, for both quality and quantity...though I'm rarely ever willing to drop a pretty penny for only one or the other (yeah I'm weird, we know ? ). I know I'm not alone when I say that much of my inspiration for various purchases over the years comes from having seen whatever the item was, being used/on display in some fashion before having ever stepped foot in a merchant/creator's store(or mp, as it were).  So those copyable things aren't just one time purchases that you're getting, you're also getting advertising for as long as the item is rezzed/used/worn/whatever. I call that a good deal, on both ends. Customer gets what he/she wants, creator gets paid, customer benefits by using the product, creator continues to benefit as long as the product is being used/viewed by others..not too shabby of a deal ;) 

• Like 4

i must say i prefer thins to be BOTH Copy and mod 
this way when you buy some thing you own it as it should be when you buy any digital content 
 and mod it such as the way in second life where you can add your personal touch on it and use it in anyway you see fit now that you own it 
transfer should be optional based on the type of the product and content  that way creators can control the spread and recycling of their content 
i would highly support that , as a user and a creator my self
that way as it is already communities could form around some aspects and products the way way it did in the age of active RP around SL 
the users of SL today are turning in to a huge pack of blind consumers and not adding any flare to the world , with the competitive market of many many virtual spaces other then SL this is alllllmost Essential to SL's survival as it slowly updates to catch up with the current technology 

22 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

? I know I'm not alone when I say that much of my inspiration for various purchases over the years comes from having seen whatever the item was, being used/on display in some fashion before having ever stepped foot in a merchant/creator's store(or mp, as it were).

You are for sure not alone. I would guess that probably 85% of my furniture/decor purchases originated from that very situation.  When I am out and about, if I see something I like....I get the info and set out to buy it for myself. This, of course has not done my wallet any favors, but it is what it is :P

I have another important reason for wanting copy/mod items.  I often like to use furniture/decor items in my displays at events.  At the bigger events that I have been in, like The Skin Fair and The Vintage Fair...there are rules that all creators must abide by.  One of them is that NO scripts are allowed in our displays, except for the vendor scripts. That rule is very strict, and they will not OK your display until it meets all the requirements.  During the Vintage Fair, I realized that a chair I wanted to use, was actually no mod.  I did contact the creator, and she was very kind and sent me a set w/out the scripts....but it was too late for me to use them in the event.  The bummer here is 2 fold; I of course had to find a replacement, which while not hard...I was pressed for time. Secondly, the designer missed out on having her item on display....which was really very lovely piece.  Live and learn :)

Edited by Tarani Tempest
fixing boo boos
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I have lost to many no copy items, so  I very rarely will buy something no  copy anymore

SL is not perfect and yes the Rez system of said no copy items makes it risky , buy some thing no copy that is expensive and crash  while rezzing it , watch the sim restart  get kocked and lose where you rezzed it ETC etc etc and lose it maybe forever , it sucks and should not be a thing 

COPY + MOD

I'm less likely to buy stuff that's NO MOD, because I like to remove the scripts from a COPY of the item I purchased, after I have set it to my preferences using a HUD, if it has one. If it's NO MOD, at least have a feature in the HUD or object that allows the scripts to be removed.

Less scripts = a better SL.

If it's NO COPY, I'm also less likely to buy it. I've had nothing but trouble losing NO COPY items. Especially vehicles crossing sims. Also, I consider it bad practice to sell decorative items as NO COPY, forcing the customer to buy the same item multiple times, if they want to, say, decorate a garden with plants and trees. In my opinion, it's a very nasty way to squeeze every last L$ buck out of a customer that way.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

SL is not perfect and yes the Rez system of said no copy items makes it risky , buy some thing no copy that is expensive and crash  while rezzing it , watch the sim restart  get kocked and lose where you rezzed it ETC etc etc and lose it maybe forever , it sucks and should not be a thing 

I lost a prim possible piano when it was on a friend's land who unexpectedly returned all my stuff. I threw a fit and he bought me a new one, but he bought the PG version instead of the adult version I had originally.

• Like 1

Phil Deakins the thing when you make any digital content you dont 
- pay for shipping 

- pay for raw martial 

- pay for hardware and etc
and you can sell it an INFINITE number of it there for you should not charge people for it unfairly by making EVERY copy of the content separate ....there are legal and ethical reasons behind it , if you cant comprehend them then MAYBE you should look in to them before you go on creating and selling anything 
people will buy ANYTHING but by doing so you are enforcing a very f**ked up practice one that hurt us all consumers and creators alike especily in such an age of specialization in every detail ,Imagine   that 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

I'm going to step on a lot of toes now :)

Imo, the main reason why people want copyable furntiture is greed. Examples: They want to place a copy in several rooms, or in more than one building, or they want to rez a copy or two for friends if they like it, or they rent homes out and they want to put one or more in each home, but they don't want to pay for them.

There are other minor reason, but that, imo, is the most common reason for wanting copyable furniture.

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

Imo, the main reason why people want copyable furntiture is greed. Examples: They want to place a copy in several rooms, or in more than one building, or they want to rez a copy or two for friends if they like it, or they rent homes out and they want to put one or more in each home, but they don't want to pay for them.

There are other minor reason, but that, imo, is the most common reason for wanting copyable furniture.

Think what you like, most peoples reasons however are the crappy sl rez issue. You make what you like just dont expect most of us to want what you make

• Like 2

A more relevant question would be: what will make you richer, selling items COPY or TRANS? You can ask people about their preferences on a forum, but that won't get you any closer to the truth. Only hard sales stats will. Provide an item as COPY and the same one as TRANS, at the same price. Then just sit and wait and find out.

˙ʇsǝɥɔᴉɹ ǝɥʇ noʎ ǝʞɐɯ llᴉʍ 'SN∀ɹ┴ ǝuo puɐ ⅄ԀOƆ ǝuo 'suoᴉsɹǝʌ ɥʇoq ƃuᴉllǝs :ɹǝʍus∀

4 minutes ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

Phil Deakins the thing when you make any digital content you dont 
- pay for shipping 

- pay for raw martial 

- pay for hardware and etc
and you can sell it an INFINITE number of it there for you should not charge people for it unfairly by making EVERY copy of the content separate ....there are legal and ethical reasons behind it , if you cant comprehend them then MAYBE you should look in to them before you go on creating and selling anything 
people will buy ANYTHING but by doing so you are enforcing a very f**ked up practice 

You are mistaken. Getting to the end first, I have never enforced any practices at all. Sellers have always sold copy and no-copy furniture. It's only in recent years that buyers seemed to have shifted towards copy only.

Now getting to the main part of your post. There are no legal or ethical reasons behind selling copy or no-copy furniture. To suggest that there are is just pure imagination. It like you are saying that it is illegal and unethical to sell no-copy furniture, and, frankly, that is ludicrous that I'm not even going to bother explaining it.

Incidentally, you are correct that the seller doesn't pay for shipping, raw materials or hardward. What s/he does pay for is a lot of land, and takes money. So that argument was a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

How is that not greed on your part as well?  You want others to buy your items, then not be able to to do what they want with them w/out paying more of a price. 

The best thing going on here is that no one has to even deal with that nonsense.  There are fantastic designers, selling everything imaginable ...that are in fact COPY/MOD. We buy it up...we display it ... we spread it around for all to see.  Those are the designers getting all the love, and for good reason. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Think what you like, most peoples reasons however are the crappy sl rez issue. You make what you like just dont expect most of us to want what you make

I did say that there are other reasons, but, imo, greed is the main one.

I don't expect most of you to buy anything from me. I don't sell anything :D

Edited by Phil Deakins

4 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

A more relevant question would be: what will make you richer, selling items COPY or TRANS? You can ask people about their preferences on a forum, but that won't get you any closer to the truth. Only hard sales stats will. Provide an item as COPY and the same one as TRANS, at the same price. Then just sit and wait and find out.

I don't know if that was addressed to me or not, but it sounds like it might have been. If it was, I already stated what I earned from no-copy furniture, and making it copyable wouldn't have earned any more - probably less..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tarani Tempest said:

How is that not greed on your part as well?  You want others to buy your items, then not be able to to do what they want with them w/out paying more of a price.

It might have been be greed on my part. It probably was. But it wasn't at other people's expense, whereas, if you'd bought a sofa from me and rezzed it twice because you needed two, it would have been at my expense, because you would have bought two it it had been no copy. More importantly, it would have meant that landlords would have rezzed many dozens each, and only paid for one. They'd have been right to that if I'd sold copyable furniture, and I really want them to do that. It worked brilliantly for me :)

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I don't know if that was addressed to me or not, but it sounds like it might have been

Why do you think it sounded it was (specifically) addressed to you? It was addressed to all the people in this thread. But, okay. You are special. As of now, it is a little bit more addressed to you.

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

making it copyable wouldn't have earned any more - probably less

Or probably more. Only some decent marketing research will tell. Maybe the permission settings of furniture sold by the biggest brands in SL would be a good indication.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.