SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

What are those????

@Chic Aeon Are these what you were seeing before?

As someone who grew up in a trailer park, I would say they are trailers. LOL.

Weren't there when I looked last night.   You are a good sleuth.

No, what I saw before looked like houses with GREEN roofs and red fireplaces. 

EDIT:  Looks like lots of others figured that out too.  Happy to see some diversity and maybe those little houses with red brick chimneys will surface again.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, Abnor Mole said:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (4008 MHz)
Memory: 32731 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2

Window size: 5754x1048
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 512m
Bandwidth: 2400kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: 6 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB

The above  video card alone  is 500 bucks,  the majority of residents aren't that posh. A total system for us at that  price is more likely, and it works in not bogged areas. But designing for the future on a system that maybe 1% of us have or will have......   added-  erm    think trailer park

Edited by Cam Mode

22 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

The above  video card alone  is 500 bucks,  the majority of residents aren't that posh. A total system for us at that  price is more likely, and it works in not bogged areas. But designing for the future on a system that maybe 1% of us have or will have......   added-  erm    think trailer park

That is way heftier than my system also and I "work here" LOL.   That being said, there IS THAT FUTURE THING. The original Linden Homes are coming up on a decade now. So hopefully in a few years folks will catch up with their systems.

SL has ALWAYS needed game quality computers -- even 13 years ago when my close RL friends joined. All of  them (already in the web business so not puny computers) had to upgrade their video cards in order to do anything realistically well.  This need for speed thing is not new news. 

Also note that the SSP sims appear to run better so far as FPS than the Expo sims.  Scroll back if you missed all that. So hopefully they will work pretty well for folks when they are moved over. Fingers crossed.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

4 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

The above  video card alone  is 500 bucks,  the majority of residents aren't that posh...........

500 fun buck to spend on a GPU? I WISH !

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

SL has ALWAYS needed game quality computers ....

Catznip has a large number of users from South America, Eastern Europe as well as everyone who just can't upgrade. 

Integrated Intel is a very common GPU. 1366x768 screen resolutions. Frame rates that barely manage to stay in double digits, and an expectation that we will, no matter what LL or other residents add to SL, continue to keep SL running for them.

One user crashes 20+ times a day. Every day .. because her only access is some kind of electronic potato.

SL is important enough to these users that running it terribly on the only hardware they have is better than not at all.

I'm not saying efforts shouldn't be made to make SL look as awesome as modern technology will permit, but just remember that whatever is added has to scale across an extremely broad range of hardware, with most if it being 'sub par'.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

500 fun buck to spend on a GPU? I WISH !

Catznip has a large number of users from South America, Eastern Europe as well as everyone who just can't upgrade. 

Integrated Intel is a very common GPU. 1366x768 screen resolutions. Frame rates that barely manage to stay in double digits, and an expectation that we will, no matter what LL or other residents add to SL, continue to keep SL running for them.

One user crashes 20+ times a day. Every day .. because her only access is some kind of electronic potato.

SL is important enough to these users that running it terribly on the only hardware they have is better than not at all.

I'm not saying efforts shouldn't be made to make SL look as awesome as modern technology will permit, but just remember that whatever is added has to scale across an extremely broad range of hardware, with most if it being 'sub par'.

Agreed. Didn't mean to sound like I didn't. I send folks with not so hefty computers to the 1.23 viewers (I think Catznip is one of those but I haven't used it).  My point was that there has always been an issue and that it isn't new. 

IMO The Lab could have made rules LONG AGO that could have kept things both pretty and running well. The overabundance of heavy mesh (increasing as far as I can see and not getting better at all) has made it very difficult for middle and low end computers -- even on the lowest settings.  Once more I will reference Cloud Party which is the only platform that I have been on that did HAVE and ENFORCE rules on uploads and usage.  And you could run Cloud Party in a browser and it looked pretty good.   

Here is a page (NOTE THIS IS 2013) that explains the High and Regular (I forgot what SD mean) version for clothing. There were also rules on how many triangles per area (about a quad sim if I remember correctly) and it wasn't much. But you COULD do a lot if you paid attention. 

https://chicatcloudparty.blogspot.com/p/sd-hd.html

And here is what I looked like two  months after my arrival (AGAIN IT IS 2013) and not long before it was purchased and abandoned by Yahoo. Everything there except the jeans and belt I made -- even the pose. Simply because I had too LOL.  My favorite platform --  ever. 

2013 and it ran in Chrome

chic2months2.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I send folks with not so hefty computers to the 1.23 viewers

All viewers are based code from LL and are at worse a little under a year behind LL latest. Firestorm & Catznip are typically right up to date .. 1.23 style viewers are just the old skin ported over the top of LL's default viewer.

All TPV viewers have broadly the same feature set.

(shameless plug) Caztnip is based on LL's current UI with a boat load of refinements and additions, it's own chat interface and all the auto sorting inventory voodoo anyone who shops could ever want  ... it's also the viewer that develops RLVa .. and ships with it turned off.

24 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

All viewers are based code from LL and are at worse a little under a year behind LL latest. Firestorm & Catznip are typically right up to date .. 1.23 style viewers are just the old skin ported over the top of LL's default viewer.

All TPV viewers have broadly the same feature set.

(shameless plug) Caztnip is based on LL's current UI with a boat load of refinements and additions, it's own chat interface and all the auto sorting inventory voodoo anyone who shops could ever want  ... it's also the viewer that develops RLVa .. and ships with it turned off.

I do understand that  -----

But from the folks that I have heard from (and I used a couple in the past) the 1.23 style viewers --- I used Singularity mostly -- are much easier on the system. And the folks that were having issues and tried one of them (again usually Singularity or Cool Viewer so I cannot even pass along info on yours :D) found that they could do much more with those third party viewers than the Linden Viewer -- or of course Firestorm with all its bells and whistles many which I use daily.  

Not saying anything at all BAD about your viewer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Note that there are 35 "trailers".   So likely these are 512 homes which would work well for someone that also wanted a piece of land on the mainland.  Perhaps that is part of the plan!

I'm not sure abut that. There is plenty of room for 35 1024 m2 parcels in a sim and they're spaced far enough apart there's enough space for each trailer to have its own 1024.

Edited by ChinRey

So many of you have scrutinized each and every detail of this new continent, wondered what it is, what it's for and so forth, but either I have missed the discussion, or you all have missed this island in SSP92.
Would this be just a decorative island, or will it serve a particular purpose, either permanent or temporary?
There are a few other islands, but this one caught my eye because it looks more out of place than any of the other islands.

image.png.16d4b7dbb509ce31d7ac048a54cfbbe5.png

BTW, it kinda looks like a turtle on its back to me.

image.png.bf2b5b96d1c2993dec88ca12f733e9d5.png 

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
19 hours ago, JuliaBlanc said:

With the sims wrapping along the mainland I feel it'd cause issues for aircraft though. Unless someone buys out land and puts a great fat airport at the mouth of the current connection, it'd be much better to have a line of sims going straight down into subak so the larger aircraft don't have to deal with the problems that come with flying over homes and can cut straight down into Jadu and deeper into the gulf instead.

And even if someone does put an airport at the current mouth to the seabridge it wouldn't be very connected to the rest of the mainland what with the lack of roads. And it isn't as if it'd really deter anyone who wants to cause trouble, they just rez in their trouble-train in some port at the mouth of the seabridge rather than in the gulf itself and sail/fly out from there.

I just think it'd be much more convenient for both sailors and pilots if we had a line going straight down into Subak instead.

I politely disagree.  I do not think giving everyone an "easy button" to set your cruise control and point your vessel of choice in a direction to not navigate your way around is best... and because you used way to many "s-words" in your post.   😉

There will be plenty of navigable space in the REGIONS that will wrap around and follow the contour of the continent on it's way south, at least a region wide in most places of protected land that will never be owned by anyone but Linden.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

We have those in the UK too, however they are not allowed to be occupied all year round, so as such tend to be holiday homes.

We have the same laws in Germany so out of experience: Are you island folks British enough to actually abide by that rule?

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not sure abut that. There is plenty of room for 35 1024 m2 parcels in a sim and they're spaced far enough apart there's enough space for each trailer to have its own 1024.

True but I was referring to the density of the trailers compared to the that of the houses. Count the houses per sim and you will see what I mean :D.  There is a LOT of "buffer" between parcels on the SSP sims. This was discussed in length some pages back. 

Of COURSE we won't know for awhile but  it seems like a viable plan since we already know from comments on this thread that some of the current 512 folks don't WANT to use up their tier on bigger parcels. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

You know I'm wondering. They seem to be in the foothills leading up to the mountains. I'm wondering if they might not be little mountain cabins.

Could be but I am still betting on mobile homes.

I can pick out four different layouts and the jogs could easily be "tip outs" and entry way steps.  The colors look more like a Flamingo Trailer Park than cozy mountain cabins LOL.   

But we will see when we see. I spotted some new I think walkways going in (far from the new long and skinny squares) so maybe more things to gaze at from afar soon :D.    Keep sleuthing.

EDIT:  If these were CABINS they wouldn't have bright colored roofs most likely :D.  Trailers typically had all the same color around (sometimes two toned and sometimes with stripes) I am thinking of retro trailers though. These days we have those cute "tiny homes" on wheels (much classier).    

image.png.989a1ca1077b96925ea77d2cacd2b3a2.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1