SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Happy that you feel better about the "long, drawn out process". 

I don't feel happy about the long, drawn out process. I don't think it's going to be a long, drawn out process. But I will happily admit that I am a half glass full kind of person so tend to look on the positive rather than the negative until I have overwhelming evidence that it's not going to be that way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hello all, 

I have been exploring the various continents of SL for almost 11 years and confidently know my way around the SL grid/map.

I was pleased to learn the recent news of the new two region wide inter-continental sea channel which was placed into the grid recently, which would allow direct sea travel between Sansara and Jeogoet continents for the first time without the need of teleporting.

But suddenly late last week, a new continent appeared at the channel's top, which now seems to have blocked off hopes of a wide navigable north-south sea route for large vessels between the Sansara and Jeogoet continents, and that has saddened me.

It worries and disappoints me that the new continent's coastline now only seems suitable for small sail and motor boats.  I would have loved the ability to sail from Jeogoet to Sansara in a larger sea vessel, while avoiding the narrow and crowded confines of harbours, marinas, narrow channels and coastlines of the new continent.

I have noticed from the earlier SSP continent design (to the far north of Corsica/Gaeta 1) that it measures 16 x 24 regions in size, a total of 384.

Instead, could an additional "outer rim" of border/edge sea regions be placed around the completed new continent, (making it 18x26, a total 468 regions) so that sea travellers who wish to bypass the new continent may do so, without disturbing the new continent's residents, their property and also avoiding the new continents shorter coastlines and marina areas?

Could @Patch Linden share any views or news on this please?

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Hello all, (especially to the Lindens and Moles :)  ) this is my first post.

I am both curious and excited with what looks like finally having the ability to travel between the Sansara and Jeogoet continents without teleporting.

I have been exploring the various continents of SL for almost 11 years and confidently know my way around the SL grid quite well, their points of interest and history.

However, it is sailing that interests me most about this new additional continent.  It worries and disappoints me that this new continent's coastline seems only built for small sail and motor boats.  I would love the ability to sail from Jeogoet to Sansara in a larger sea vessel, and avoid the narrow confines of the harbour/marina channels and coastlines of the new continent.

I have noticed from the early SSP region design (to the far north of Corsica/Gaeta 1) that the continent measures 16 x 24 regions in size, a total of 384.

Instead, could an additional outer rim of border regions be placed around the new continent, (making it 17x25, a total 425 regions) so that sea travellers who wish to bypass the new continent to reach other areas, may do so without disturbing the residents and physical limitations of the new continents structure?

Patch Linden (the mad genius behind the whole LL landscaping thing nowadays, and more) has reportedly said that there will be a total of 4,000 regions added. Do note that this is currently anecdotal because he reportedly had only said this in-world, and until we have official confirmation, we need to be careful not to take this as a solid promise.

Now, I am not sure if these 4,000 new regions include the <400 regions on the new Belliseria continent or not, but I would suggest being patient and see where they will plop down those 4,000 regions.

It is my personal guess that some of the new regions will be used to finish incomplete continents, like Gaeta for example, this will take less than 1000 regions, perhaps even less than 500, and the rest will be used to "pad" the currently less accessible coastlines, like around Sansara where the coastline suddenly stops at several places.

Additionally, it HAS BEEN confirmed though that the plan is to connect ALL continents, so that we can sail/fly/walk from continent to content without having to resort to teleporting.
This probably means that a bunch of private regions will need to be moved and that the continents will be moved closer together. But we will just have to wait and see.

EDIT: If you pad Belliseria with an extra openspace region on all sides, it would become  18x26, wouldn't that be more awesome? I do think there will be even more padding on all sides though. Let's wait and see 🙂

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

It worries and disappoints me that the new continent's coastline seems only built for small sail and motor boats.  I would love the ability to sail from Jeogoet to Sansara in a larger sea vessel, and avoid the narrow confines of the harbour/marina channels and coastlines of the new continent.

It's a little hard to tell from a map, but I think you may be underestimating the size of the navigable sea lane outside those marina areas.  Just judging from the size of the houseboats we have already seen, the map view looks like there's plenty of room for anything short of an aircraft carrier to sail past.  At any rate, we'll know fairly soon so it's not quite time to be alarmed yet.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Additionally, it HAS BEEN confirmed though that the plan is to connect ALL continents, so that we can sail/fly/walk from continent to content without having to resort to teleporting.

Where was this confirmed? If it's true, then it would be wonderful. The ability to sail/fly/walk/drive from continent to continent would add hugely to the appeal of mainland and seems like a major boon to quite a few groups, including sailing clubs, gtfo, and probably others. Not to mention a boon to aircraft and boat manufacturers since their products would become an even better way to explore the virtual world.

But, of course, there is a big caveat. Sailing/flying/walking/driving are hard enough with the reality of sim crossings. Throw in the added constantly getting automated ejection threats from people's security orbs and the occasional random ejection from a ban line or zero warning security orb, and it can quickly become an exercise in futility. So I think this issue *needs* to be addressed to realize the benefits of linking the continents. Just imagine exploring from continent and continent and repeatedly getting sent back home like some kind of video game. It's an old issue. But this new reconfiguration provides both an opportunity and a need to address it so that people can make use of what LL is providing. 

Can @Patch Linden share any news on this? 

• Like 2

I can confirm 4k regions were mentioned at the demo sim for the new Linden homes.  I have an in world notecard with the local pertinent chat and even asked him (Patch Linden) if LL planned a campaign to bring in new members to help fill the new housing areas.  I cannot confirmed all continents being joined but if that's the case, that would be astounding.

Edited by Sandy Schnook
clarity

As a vehicle builder/scripter and also being a part of the gulf community I certainly am ecstatic about these possibilities. I miss traveling around exploring the grid and finding new and interesting things. Though yes the ban lines and security orbs are now at oppressive levels, even on parcels that I suspect are not even really in use anymore. Still I think I can speak for those of us in our little asylum of the gulf when I say we are looking forward to this happening.

• Like 2

RE: Narrow channels on the new premium continent.

If you look at the Gazaway region on the western coast as an example, it's quite easy to work out how wide the channel is. The western edge must be 0 on the X axis, so if you click on the map where the edge of the beach is, you'll see the co-ordinates of the beacon change to x=19. 

So, that means the channel is 19 metres wide. Ok so its not a 100% scientific measurement, but i am sure it's close enough for us to assume that most boats will pass through just fine :)

Doing the same for the West End region in the far north-east, the channel does shrink down to about 15 metres, but I'd say that's still ok

Maybe the 2 lane highway was removed to reuse those regions to run around the edge of Jeogeot and connect up the Tulagi WWII area as requested in this thread? The new continent is 19 region tall, and that was how many regions were needed to go around the coast of Jeogeot.

By the colouring of the thin channel at Gazaway and Queen Mary it's going to be shallow water as well as narrow.

Edited by Shudo
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

But, of course, there is a big caveat. Sailing/flying/walking/driving are hard enough with the reality of sim crossings. Throw in the added constantly getting automated ejection threats from people's security orbs and the occasional random ejection from a ban line or zero warning security orb, and it can quickly become an exercise in futility. So I think this issue *needs* to be addressed to realize the benefits of linking the continents. Just imagine exploring from continent and continent and repeatedly getting sent back home like some kind of video game. It's an old issue. But this new reconfiguration provides both an opportunity and a need to address it so that people can make use of what LL is providing.

Orbs are only used on private land, stick to the public access routes and you'll have no trouble at all.

• Like 1

Hello again, I've edited a current map, to include the fully completed SSP continent - with an idea proposal:

1576440089_NewContinentIdea2.2.thumb.PNG.d3a786601492d41b988acdd491ff38ae.PNG

The green area is the full extent of the completed SSP new continent, which measures 16 x 24 regions.

The light blue area is the new two region wide north-south sea channel from Jeogoet, whose top eight regions are already placed inside the new continent's completed footprint.

The dark blue area is my proposal for an 18 x 26 outer perimeter of protected deep water sea channels for large sea vessels that fully surrounds the completed new continent. This perimeter could form a central hub for further new sea channels to other nearby regions and distant continents in the future.

Five pre-existing protected sims (Grand Banks, Lobster Pot, Marianas Trench, Magellan Deep, Albatross Sholls - coloured grey ) could form part of the northern coastal edge of the perimeter regions.

What do you think?

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 5

So during my regular morning snoop of SSP .. I discovered this newly added region .....

hartnell.thumb.png.9422ebd2be67c06fba55be022dce2a8b.png

Being the nosy person I am I immediately searched for that region on the moved .. now SSPE regions .. and this is what I found

boatlaunch.png.86e35432c8bf8be9750591f61da0d4c0.png

I pretty sure that little bump out area wasn't there a few days ago but I can't verify it ... does anyone remember that area? 

boatlaunch2.png.2352a0e9d92819559e46bf4e5721042f.png

I wonder if LL is going to add any infrastructure to the new continent.

At the moment I have  a Linden Home at a region of the  Meadowbrook Type. Houses are crowded in a way they would never be in RL, only a very few pathways next to the sea but even those are ugly. Though I see many dots on the map I never see any avatars. Obviously everyone hast turned Avtars on his parcel to invisible - like I did - to get some privacy. In a normal RL community you also cannot see your neighbours IN their houses, but there are streets and parks and you meet them at the supermarket or at a restaurant or bar. Something like that totally lacks in the present Linden- Home regions (or didn't I find it?).

The new homes at the exibition at least had gardens and streets. Will there be any places were Avatars can meet in a natural way aswell? Will there be benches and plants and a natural landscape? This for example is allready the most "beautyful" scenery in all my region I could find! And I am lucky! I live in a reason that is next to water.

Meadowbrook01.jpg

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I wonder if LL is going to add any infrastructure to the new continent.

At the moment I have  a Linden Home at a region of the  Meadowbrook Type. Houses are crowded in a way they would never be in RL, only a very few pathways next to the sea but even those are ugly. Though I see many dots on the map I never see any avatars. Obviously everyone hast turned Avtars on his parcel to invisible - like I did - to get some privacy. In a normal RL Community you also cannot see your neighbours IN their houses but there are streets an parks and you meet them at the supermarket or at a restaurant or bar. Something like that totally lacks in the prersent Linden- Home regions (or didn't I find it?).

The new homes at the exibition at least had gardens and streets.

Will there be any places were Avatars can meet in a natural way aswell? Will there be benches and Plants and a natural landscvape?

Meadowbrook01.jpg

You can see evidence of this in the preview area already

sign.thumb.jpg.96fdde661456ff97bccce1f768181988.jpg

There's a lovely little dock as you near the houseboats 

dock.thumb.jpg.f442ac12c329306285501ed2af7e2b97.jpg

and at the end of the street in the traditional house area there's a very nice park area with a table.

park.thumb.jpg.248d89741e7111de4cc8f40e45033c92.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Will there be benches and plants and a natural landscape?

The demo home areas have places for meetings and you can see lots of places on the SSP map that "look" like they are community areas. 

image.thumb.png.5074ef9e738f62160c1ea12e60d3e86e.png

Well of COURSE Blush beat me LOL.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I don't feel happy about the long, drawn out process. I don't think it's going to be a long, drawn out process. But I will happily admit that I am a half glass full kind of person so tend to look on the positive rather than the negative until I have overwhelming evidence that it's not going to be that way.

The glass is refillable!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

In a normal RL Community you also cannot see your neighbours IN their houses

Most of the suburban communities that have been built in my metro area in the last couple of decades have the house close enough that without proper window coverings, you actually can see IN your neighbor's house.  The joke is that you can hand you neighbor a burger from the grill without ever leaving your deck - and the decks are not large.

Even in my much older housing community, which has tons more yard space than other communities (you could truly drop a house between mine and the house behind me), I can still easily see into some of my backyard neighbor's windows.  I think it is mostly a combination of the screening material and where the sun is at the moment, but I can still see them while they watch their TV or eat at their dining table.  Most of us keep our shades fully closed in our bedrooms when we are in them, day or night.

I agree though that the common areas and all of the trees and shrubs will help with the sense of community while still giving a feeling of privacy.  Given that it is SL and anyone can cam anywhere, I'll still have the parcel set so that avatars are not visible outside it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
24 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

In a normal RL Community you also cannot see your neighbours IN their houses

Most of the suburban communities that have been built in my metro area in the last couple of decades have the house close enough that without proper window coverings, you actually can see IN your neighbor's house.  The joke is that you can hand you neighbor a burger from the grill without ever leaving your deck - and the decks are not large.

F46CEFAB-95F1-453A-B736-42AA2BB93DE2.jpeg

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I pretty sure that little bump out area wasn't there a few days ago but I can't verify it ... does anyone remember that area? 

boatlaunch2.png.2352a0e9d92819559e46bf4e5721042f.png

It actually was there on the map which I posted last Tuesday.

Zoomed in on Hartnell on that same map. The structure in question can be clearly seen. Just not as clearly as on your screenshot.
image.png.ec6f94fbb4e245dcbcd9da59d990034b.png

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took another look on the map at the homes parked at SSP84. They seem to be less than 1/4 of the floor area of a typical Linden Home. Maybe they are an option under consideration for the residents who want a 512 m2 parcel or less. Makes me wonder if there will be a new basic level of Premium that's cheaper than the current single level, which will come with less tier, fewer groups, lower stipend. 🤔

Edited by Lukas Thetan
typo

19 minutes ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I took another look on the map at the homes parked at SSP84. They seem to be less than 1/4 of the floor area of a typical Linden Home. Maybe they are an option under consideration for the residents who want a 512 m2 parcel or less. Makes me wonder if there will be a new basic level of Premium that's cheaper than the current single level, which will come with less tier, fewer groups, lower stipend. 🤔

Most of us interpreted the buildings at SSP84 as "trailers" and they do seem to be about the same size as the smaller bungalows at the Preview.  

I can only reference something that Ebbe said long ago at a Town Hall meeting  being that some folks would like larger house and some would likely want smaller. That doesn't mean that the LOTS or land impact will be less than a 1024.   He also said something around that time (again a long time ago if my memory is fairly clear) that I interpreted as introducing HIGHER Premium levels with more perks but not lower.  Since we haven't heard anything about the different Premium Tier levels in a long while, that might not be on the roadmap any longer. Who knows. 

They certainly COULD make a "premium lite" level  but I am not seeing much of an advantage for them -- unless perhaps the "lite" premium didn't get a stipend (that would likely help the bottom line :D). 

Perhaps someone has some newer info that I missed along the way and can add it in here.  

However, those trailers haven't been moved over OR the sim renamed so there is no reason to believe they will be before the unveiling.   I had hoped :D.   As you say, they "could" be a sort of refuge camp for the 512 folks but it sounds like it will be quite awhile before the first Linden Homes disappear into the ether. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Most of us interpreted the buildings at SSP84 as "trailers" and they do seem to be about the same size as the smaller bungalows at the Preview.  

Could be about anything, who knows? Maybe it is an obstaclecourse for the long promised ponies (No, Ebbe, we have not forgotten about those)...

Edited by Fionalein