Why crowded venues suck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

Yes, white sections are visible, the grey/darker areas are the alpha'd sections.

Thank you :)

My opinion; what a silly and uptight manager! The area is mostly masked, so that shows care was taken. The picture of the dress looks so very stylish, and their complaint including a statement that the dress was ok suggests they are considering the clothing after clothes snap into place, not commenting on the view everyone has before this happens. The manager needs to stop upskirting, nice people don't do that.

I normally do my events with a rez area external to the main party, this allows the clothing to appear by the time the person walks into view (doesn't work with friend TPs, but it does fix most people) Maybe this club should do the same.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I normally do my events with a rez area external to the main party, this allows the clothing to appear by the time the person walks into view (doesn't work with friend TPs, but it does fix most people) Maybe this club should do the same.

I like that idea of a rez area external.  Because I see myself 'all there' when I TP someplace, I always wonder how long it takes others to be able to see me fully rezzed. I always hope that the time it takes for the scene to rez for me is a long enough time to wait. 

Just now, moirakathleen said:

I like that idea of a rez area external.  Because I see myself 'all there' when I TP someplace, I always wonder how long it takes others to be able to see me fully rezzed. I always hope that the time it takes for the scene to rez for me is a long enough time to wait. 

I find most of the time it takes a lot longer for you to rez all the other people already there then for them to rez you and maybe a partner. Not perfect, but it does help maintain the illusion a little better :D

• Like 1

So the manager was complaining that they and others who cam up peoples' skirts without consent might see something they shouldn't..

Perhaps the owner of the venue should be more concerned about privacy violations if they want to maintain their 'classy' reputation.

• Like 4

I've been there, in a similar dress, got the same POLITE request. I alpha'd out the crotch entirely, problem solved. Anytime I've worn similar things since and gone there, I've made certain to alpha out the crotch entirely. I see no point not to, to be honest. Doing so fixes even slow to rez issues.

I'm assuming you did have panties on by your comments and they were just slow to rez for someone. But a total alpha'd crotch would solve the problem entirely..just something to consider, in case you run into it anywhere else.

You may think it's "unwise" for people to say "their land, their dress code rules", but, it's the truth, even when we don't like it. I don't go a lot of places that have certain dress codes, either because I don't want to comply, or I can't. It's no skin off my nose. That place in particular is VERY well known for their absolute strict dress code. I can assure you, they IM anyone and everyone that might even remotely violate, or come close to violating that dress code-even if the person in question isn't actually and it's just slow to rez. At least, anytime staff is on hand (they aren't always).  Sometimes they aren't all that polite about it, but most of the time, it's actually a prescripted response off a NC that they simply add your name/info/issue to, lol. Kinda like the vast majority of CR/CS responses these days lol.

• Like 1

Maybe she owned the same dress and got a bit salty that you had it too. O.o

Since I want to be PG here, I'd be nice and tell this manager.

cynthia-bailey-deal-with-it.gif

Although I'd prefer to say something far more sinister. :D

Edited by Chase01
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

The truth in this however, is a bot can download the appearance data and check for the appropriate layers in the appearance XML. (Because I know  someone will bring it up, This is not in violation of the TOS, it is also how the viewer works)

I know this is a tangent, but this bit confuses me. Years ago they changed things (as I understood it) so the individual clothing layers were not exposed -- they were all supposed to be baked onto a single texture that the wearer's viewer then exported for all to see. This was kinda a big deal back then because it meant that individual system skins and clothing items could no longer be copybotted separately. So I'm puzzled why anybody else's viewer would receive "layers in the appearance XML" at all -- and whether there may be substantial network savings by stopping transmission of such cruft. Or if I misunderstood or mis-recall what the baking change was, way back when.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I know this is a tangent, but this bit confuses me. Years ago they changed things (as I understood it) so the individual clothing layers were not exposed -- they were all supposed to be baked onto a single texture that the wearer's viewer then exported for all to see. 

You are correct. The textures are not there any more in the XML. A friend of a friend :ph34r: told me they resolve to grey stuff.

Simply no way to know any more, at the system layer, and i imagine, when mesh baking comes out it might be the same there too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Are mesh bodies so complicated that it's difficult to just wear applier panties all the time and take them off when you want to be naked?

Mesh bodies are not classic avis. The applier layers hover slightly above the mesh body and can cause some serious clipping problems. Mesh baking might fix it but honestly I'm not going back to appliers save maybe for tattoos or body paint.

30 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

You should always alpha that little triangle up there too.

Yeah that kept me puzzeling as well. Why didn't you just click away the one part that people found offensive? I mean it was hovering there - unspuspendend in mid air - as the rest was alphaed away... no need to keep it visible.

Edited by Fionalein
spelling

32 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Mesh bodies are not classic avis. The applier layers hover slightly above the mesh body and can cause some serious clipping problems. Mesh baking might fix it but honestly I'm not going back to appliers save maybe for tattoos or body paint.

Yeah that kept me puzzeling as well. Why didn't you just click away the one part that people found offensive? I mean it was hovering there - unspuspendend in mid air - as the rest was alphaed away... no need to keep it visible.

OK, so for mesh bodies then proper alpha-ing is a better solution. I just keep panties on my system avs because lag will happen and we don't have a whole lot of control over when our mesh clothing shows up for everyone else. I'm fine with nudity, but can't conceive of any reasons or need to impose it on those who just happen to be sharing screen space with my av.

It really doesn't seem difficult to add those alpha cuts along with the hip ones. Am I missing something? It feels like there must be something I'm not getting for all these people to be making such a big deal over it.

Oh there's a funny extra little bit about mesh bodies texture layers: they are fitmesh like all the rest of the mesh body and mesh cloth are. So if someone experiences serious render lag, you never will know what appears first in the right place: your bits or your panties. Could be one is placed rather quickly while the rest keeps hovering near your right hand for a while...

I took the time to read the original post again: It said nowhere the manager was camming up there. You just asumed he did, but most likely he didn't. The whole message rather read to me like meaning something along "If you wear that kind of daring dress, please let us remind you that we hope you better wear some panties beneath or we could run into a TOS problem here" ... 

Now that would be OK if it didn't contain another display of people having not the faintest idea about SL wardrobes. Because the message also implies that they seem to be OK with complete nudity under long unslit dresses (as if the bits would not show beneath there *headdesk* sh... hint: they still do and it still isn't PG)... Sorry folks, but if you like to do some wardrobe rules, buck up the Lindens to hire some managers who actualy understand enough of SL technology to know what they are talking about ;-)

[irony mode] I have a great idea: wouldn't it be a great idea if we could ban all skirts and dresses in PG areas as we are never sure who wears panties beneath them and who doesn't[/irony mode]

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I know this is a tangent, but this bit confuses me. Years ago they changed things (as I understood it) so the individual clothing layers were not exposed -- they were all supposed to be baked onto a single texture that the wearer's viewer then exported for all to see. This was kinda a big deal back then because it meant that individual system skins and clothing items could no longer be copybotted separately. So I'm puzzled why anybody else's viewer would receive "layers in the appearance XML" at all -- and whether there may be substantial network savings by stopping transmission of such cruft. Or if I misunderstood or mis-recall what the baking change was, way back when.

Oh, yes. That is correct. I typed that when I was half awake. I was mixing up avatar appearance xml exporter with the appearance data files. I had forgot about project shining, so yes the bot thing is incorrect and I have updated my post to reflect so.

Thank you for pointing this out!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Simply no way to know any more, at the system layer, and i imagine, when mesh baking comes out it might be the same there too.

I hate if mesh baking textures don't have normal maps and specular maps. Arrgghhh... >:(
I love the subtle normals and subtle shinines on my skin, and also on applier clothing.
It's pretty cool to have those, makes things more realistic.

If those will not be in mesh baking then it's a step backwards what comes to rendering. :(

1 minute ago, Coby Foden said:

I hate if mesh baking textures don't have normal maps and specular maps. Arrgghhh... >:(
I love the subtle normals and subtle shinines on my skin, and also on applier clothing.
It's pretty cool to have those, makes things more realistic.

If those will not be in mesh baking then it's a step backwards what comes to rendering. :(

After all the work adding materials in the first place, I like to imagine they aren't leaving any time soon.

I have to imagine, not being one who has looked far into it, that the bake will be for the diffuse layers (the RBG visual information we see as colour), given enough cerativity perhaps the Specular and Normal components of the object can be merged, If the baking engine knows the mesh is a shirt from all the raycasting plotting the surface, if can cut that out of the texture file (leaving the dead UV space behind) and simply overlay it onto the body's normal map or spec maps.

If we have a shirt on, then we only need the normal and specularity info for the shirt, in all parts the shirt covers (we'll never see the skin under it), the rest of the image/UV space can be used for the uncovered body. simply layering it onto perhaps the SLUV map as a "Super omega".

I have pretty good faith we won't lose all the work on the lighting and materials engines to accommodate texture bakes.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:51 PM, GoSpeed Racer said:

!

So, I was just at an "elite" dance place that had 73 people in it. A manager approached and IMed me:

hi Ms Rasere..so nice to have you with us this evening. the gown you have on is allowed, but only if panties are worn under it because of the high split and the way the dress is made, if panties aren't worn you show things that aren't allowed to be shown here.

Well, I was flabbergasted! Aside from swimsuits, I always have my panty layer turned on. As you can see from my HUD, most of the crotch region was alpha'ed out so my hips/pelvis would not poke through my dress.

The manager claimed they didn't upskirt me, but to see my va-jay-jay. you have to do that. It's way above the dress slit. I don't wear it on my thigh!

Managers need good computers to render SL fairly quickly. Before  I got my new computer I would regularly see naked and grey avatars all the time as my computer struggled to render it all.

I left shortly afterward. I felt insulted :/

I had completely forgotten about this video, may be the explanation. I'm not sure if the video will be allowed to stay.                                                                                   

Edited by Aislin Ceawlin
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.