How many of you try to make your avatar look like your offline selves?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How many of you try to make your avatar look like your offline selves.

I don't mean just, "We have the same hair cut" or "We have the same color eyes", I mean the resemblance is so strong that if a full body photo of both you and your avatar were side-by-side, that there was no mistake that your avatar looks like you (face, body, hair, etc.). It doesn't have to be PRECISE, but in the ballpark.

Are there any studies on this? Like, "People who choose to be something completely different are more creative" or anything like that? I find it interesting.

Thanks!

I have a variety of odd avatars, and all of them don't resemble me at all. Right now, my entire avatar is made out of prims and someone said that I looked like a wooden emu! Sometimes I like to look like a chair, or a shark.

Edited by 2pluscake
adding more text

I am sure some do.  I would think others make a stylized version of themselves.   My in world height is based on my RL height but shape, skin color, hair color, and everything else changes frequently.  At time one or more of the details will be the same as how I looked when I was younger.  I have never felt the need to make an avatar that looks my RL age much less look exactly like I do now.

Then there are many others that are not even the same species.

7 hours ago, Talligurl said:

OK actually If i looked like this in RL why would i need a Second Life?

there is such wisdom in this statement alone. I know for a fact that actual men that are body builders are NOT on second life in general because maintaining such a muscled physique requires a dedicated regime and routine and mental training that take away from time to be sitting at a computer for hours.

I worked out in my 30s before I even really had a full time computer, aside from a small one that was used only for e-mail correspondence with my magazine editor concerning men's health. I can tell you I did not have time though outside of work and my routine to be doing other activities outside the gym. So even pictures are not proof... video , maybe.

To get to the OPs question, you can try for the fun of it , sure, but I think it's also good to see all the possibility beyond the mundane proportions or genetics or molecules of standard rl appearance when deciding what to be in SL

• Like 1

It's a well known fact that all the fat ugly avatars in SL are actually slim and beautiful in RL. They are tired of being judged superficially on their surface appearance and want people to get to know them and like them for their inner beauty. 

Unfortunately my fat ugly friend often asks why no one talks to her.

*shrugs*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t, but that’s because I change skins and heads often. I tend to favor “interesting” heads, so no I don’t look like RL me. I have before but it was by accident and I changed it after about a week.

I have run into “my avi looks like me!” people. I think they are a very small minority on SL. It’s a philosophy choice I think. Most people are exploring aspects of themselves in a virtual world. Those people are themselves exploring a virtual world. It’s a different mindset.

I remember a cartoon I saw once it showed a average looking guy and a beautiful woman standing in front of mirrors, the man's reflection looked much better than reality, while the woman's was much worse. I suspect this reflects a lot of truth about how men and woman see themselves. I suspect this is reflected in those Avis that supposably look like the people behind them.

Now that I think about it, this is one of the reasons I stopped with the Skype thing a while back. Too many morons saying, “you don’t look like your avatar Hurr Hurr.....” leading to the “What did you expect?” conversation which usually led to me ignoring their Skype calls and their im in SL.

• Like 1

my avatar doesn't look completely like me but there are similarities like body type, height, make up etc. I've never needed to have the avatar as sl-only character. It is, as Rhonda said, kind of stylized version of me. But the resemblance is not strong.

33 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

My avatar rarely looks like me, but occasionally I do use one that looks very much like me:

True_self.thumb.jpg.4868f7eaa43b40235f4badf6ad579809.jpg

See you around the galaxy!

You must be Void Singer's long lost brother...

5a3836fdc0499_WelcomeVoid.thumb.jpg.6ac813e20f47f2d36acbf269757ea541.jpg

And I too sometimes use an avatar that looks very much like me, thanks to you...

5a383733c4f4b_LilDevil.thumb.jpg.f4e06b22373d06c37336d6e169469c37.jpg

See you in hell!

;-).

When i first started in SL i wanted to look like me and tried to make myself look like me but that soon went out the window the moment i discovered red prim hair i only stuck with shape eye and skin colour although i made myself tall because i didn't want to be as midget sized as RL. I remember there was once a service where you could have your RL self made in to a skin even if it still existed there's no way i'd inflict my ugly mug on the grid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.