How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

6 hours ago, Saravendi said:

Maybe they do have the app for Android??! Not sure.... but my question is, why can’t the AO programmers not produce natural smiles? I just accepted the limitation, but visually speaking it can obviously be accomplished. And yes... I know, we’re talking about 3D, wireframes, mesh... bone 🦴 structure etc... but, does anyone have any insight into how such an obvious emotion... probably The Emotive didn’t get addressed?

Yeah, what Zeta says. The Bento SL skeleton doesn't have "bones" for the cheeks, for instance, so there's literally no way to move these using poses or animations -- although, in theory, you could probably do a custom shape edit to get a similar effect?

Here's the layout of the Bento facial bones; these will be familiar to anyone who uses the Axis HUD, because there are sliders for all of these. Notice that you can move the lips, eyelids, and brows, but not the cheeks or the muscles around the mouth (other than the lips themselves). You also can't "tilt" the eyes, although you can open or narrow them. So, it's pretty much impossible to reproduce that smile using poses:

1225438797_Bento-Bones-Blank.thumb.png.e8997e415197490c0060618485dc009b.png

As it turns out, there is an app for Android, and I've downloaded it and gave it a quick try. I won't be sharing the result (*shudders*). I might take one dedicated pic, just to try it out properly, but it does not look good on my existing shots.

I think it's a really cool app, and I love what you and Rae have been able to do with it, Liv's pic actually bothered me a bit at first (a bit uncanny valley, maybe?), but it looks good to me now. There's absolutely no question that it adds realism.

I don't think I'm going to be using it much, or at all, simply because the functionality is so limited. This is really designed (obviously) for conventional phone selfies, and I just don't do many shots that involve me . . . um . . . smiling. At least, not like that. The additional "tight smile" and "upset" look that are available through the paid version of the app might be more useful, but they're both looks I can reproduce pretty well, actually, using the Axis HUD, because they don't involve moving the rest of the face around so much.

What will be interesting is seeing if something a bit more flexible and sophisticated comes down the tube within the next year or so. It's pretty clear that it's now possible to do some pretty radical, and very realistic-looking, editing of faces in photos. Presumably something exists already somewhere, or will shortly exist, that will be more powerful and enable a greater range of expressions.

Anyway -- cool stuff! And it is nice to be able move away from the default pouty expression on SL mesh heads! Yay for smiles!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it's a really cool app, and I love what you and Rae have been able to do with it, Liv's pic actually bothered me a bit at first (a bit uncanny valley, maybe?), but it looks good to me now. There's absolutely no question that it adds realism.

I think it's the teeth. They are just too white and too perfect (even for SL standards, lol) and might make my avatar face look too artificial.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kotelle said:

I think it's the teeth. They are just too white and too perfect (even for SL standards, lol) and might make my avatar face look too artificial.

Maybe! It's certainly a really wide and toothy smile, isn't it?

As I said, the pic actually isn't bothering me now . . . maybe I'm already sort of acclimatized to the effect?

Of all of these -- and they're all really good -- the one that most blew me away was the "older" version of Rae. Wow.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

lol omg

Love the hair.

That hair is the first thing I ever purchased in SL, way back in April of 2008. The name of the hair is "Trouble" and I purchased it with L$250 that was given to me by a very kind woman. That set the tone for 11 wonderful years interacting with the loonies that make this place so irresistible.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 4:56 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I love the raindrop splatters that you can see in the first, but I think that overall I like the second shot a little more.  

Thanks, my friends are quite divided on the two pictures but interesting how both same shot however a flashing lightning can add such a difference! :) 

Wanted to give the FaceApp a try, but I think I'm more of a smirk person... 

Edit: funny though how after the initial shock of "hey that's not me, its creepy" after a few minutes it does kinda look not that horrible at all.

FaceApp_1560528558598.jpg

Edited by Zeta Vandyke
  • Like 22

Alright, so peer pressure, curiosity, the inability to turn away from a car wreck . . .

Here are before and after shots using FaceApp. The only thing I did to my face in-world was to fix the eyes in place, and I did almost no post-processing before handing it off to FaceApp.

1224298811_FaceAppTest-BA-Blank.thumb.png.951519fec90e0b86278384984bd0b03d.png

So . . . on the one hand, I have to admit that it doesn't look terrible. And maybe does look a bit more realistic.

On the other hand, I hate it. My response is similar to Zeta's "hey that's not me, its creepy". But that's a purely subjective response that probably has a lot to do with the fact that this is my avatar. Ironically, I really quite like Zeta's example!

Oh, also . . . Hey FaceApp! Don't f**k with my light and colour settings!! Yeesh.

• Like 19
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Right. Being Swedish, you're one of those "puck" people, aren't you?

Nah. Here's a more or less complete list of Orwar-approved sports:

• Axe throwing
  • Log throwing
  • Punching each other
  • Riding at each other on horseback, trying to knock each other off with sticks
  • Sticking swords or spears in each other
  • Whacking one another with axes or maces
  • Pulling opposite ends of a rope
  • Pushing each other to the ground
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Nah. Here's a more or less complete list of Orwar-approved sports:

• Axe throwing
  • Log throwing
  • Punching each other
  • Riding at each other on horseback, trying to knock each other off with sticks
  • Sticking swords or spears in each other
  • Whacking one another with axes or maces
  • Pulling opposite ends of a rope
  • Pushing each other to the ground

Oh. Those kinds of sports.

Well, this IS a happy coincidence. One of my old hobbies used to involve the following:

• Applying poultices made of smelly, boiled herbs and dung to abrasions and cuts inflicted by maces, swords, and spears
  • Fastening blood-sucking segmented worms to people's bodies to assist in the healing process and relieve the humours
  • Resetting bones broken by falls from horses after being hit by sticks, by crudely forcing the two fragments back together (without anaesthetic).
  • Amputating limbs damaged by axe cuts with a dirty, blunt saw (without anaesthetic).
  • Cauterizing the resulting stumps with a burning log or stick (as above)
  • Drilling holes into people's skulls with a hand drill to relieve pressure on the brain (vide supra).
  • Holding screaming and squirming patients down if someone else was performing any of the above.
  • Fetching a priest to perform the last rites on my subject.

We have complementary interests, talents, and skills! You must invite me along to your next sports day; I'd love to participate. I'm a bit rusty -- it's been a while -- but they say it's like falling off a bicycle (for which, btw, I'd recommend the application of a paste of honey, spiderweb, and mud).

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
  • Fetching a priest to perform the last rites on my subject.

I'll skip that one though. Rest sounds fun!

• Like 2