How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

5 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

With Baked on Mesh, I tried the skin that was me for the first third of my SL.  Maybe 2007 to 2012 or so.  This skin never had an applier for a body or head.  For an old skin I think it came out fairly well.

49447046713_6000be7300_h.jpg

Is that a Jungle Voodoo skin? I had one of those.

• Like 1

Just one more go at the Burrows Angels Meeting yesterday. The first pic was me and Tati saving the corner seats until the others arrived...…….just like RL...….

The second one is my group shot. For this one I reduced the richness, so it's more austere than my usual shots, but has good shadows, and we are all bathed in similar light......

SL178.png

SL167.png

• Like 28

14 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Lutz and Black Dragon I presume...

:)

Yes. And I think it's a compliment to BD's visual quality that we can actually see it in images created with it. SL feels fresh and new again, as if the Linden Lab has updated all the graphics systems of the entire grid, even on my cheap-o janky $100 monitor display! :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

This tree has been annoying me since I got it.  If a tree is going to have a low-hanging branch, it should NOT say "No room to sit here" when one attempts to park one's avatar upon it.

So I built a prim, sat on that sucker, made it transparent, and moved myself to the tree :P  No mere mesh object shall defeat me!

Also, I kind of had to edit my pants a little because the leaves coming through my pants were mildly distracting.  Maybe there's a reason it's not entirely sittable...

Ajay Tree_006edit.png

• Like 24

51 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes. And I think it's a compliment to BD's visual quality that we can actually see it in images created with it. SL feels fresh and new again, as if the Linden Lab has updated all the graphics systems of the entire grid, even on my cheap-o janky $100 monitor display! :)

Yeah the soft diffused quality is quite striking.

• Like 3

I think perhaps I'm beginning to get a bit of a handle on Black Dragon. Other than cropping and resizing for the forum, this is straight out of the viewer, with no further editing. I'm not particularly aiming for that (I'm not a purist in that regard), but it does say something about the power of the viewer that so much that might normally be added in post-production can be achieved within it.

328257449_SummitBlank.thumb.png.2699daddd2941d4ad72128d610b1ecce.png

• Like 33

27 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

it does say something about the power of the viewer that so much that might normally be added in post-production can be achieved within it.

I agree. Though more than this is that the "quality of image" applies to the entire Second Life experience, 100% of the time, not just when playing with picture-taking.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I agree. Though more than this is that the "quality of image" applies to the entire Second Life experience, 100% of the time, not just when playing with picture-taking.

I spent the entire time I was at the Burrow coffee house yesterday on BD. I'm still feel pretty uncomfortable with it as an "everyday" viewer. Part of that is probably a lack of familiarity with it, but I also find that, while it functions at least as well as Firestorm with the settings cranked up, it is laggier (for me, anyway) at lower settings.

1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

Rae and Riley sleeping 1_signed.jpg

RaeLee, was this shot in BD? It's a gorgeous picture in its own right (and really darling), but it also has, for  me, that really distinctive "BD look."

I tried to describe what I meant by that to Maddy the other day -- it's a certain softness and roundness around the edges of objects and avatars that is, I think, from the different way in which colours and shading are reproduced in that viewer.

(Of course, if this wasn't shot in BD, everything I've just said is obviously nonsense. But I'm willing to bet that this was!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I spent the entire time I was at the Burrow coffee house yesterday on BD. I'm still feel pretty uncomfortable with it as an "everyday" viewer. Part of that is probably a lack of familiarity with it, but I also find that, while it functions at least as well as Firestorm with the settings cranked up, it is laggier (for me, anyway) at lower settings.

There is a learning curve, not only with its options., but also the lack of them. It does fall directly in-line with all LL viewer options in terms of required features, plus some more useful things like key-mapping, etc. As some are die-hard fans for Firestorm Features, I am a die-hard fan of Catznip features (specifically: the inventory-management features).

I like the User Interface of BD a lot. Though it does take some getting used to it and also getting used to doing things the "old way" with lack of fancy-shmancy features. Though I am the type of person who will spend twice as much for half as many feature for greater benefit (quality) - I'm willing to take the time, suffer any frustration to get past the learning curve because, for me, the quality is superior enough that it's worth it; I don't spend a lot of my time doing snapshotting and setting things up for that, but rather I want this look all the time. LOL

Certainly, it's not for everyone and that's fine. The truest benefit of all is choice that we each can make for ourselves.

Also, what we have been calling "softer colors" is the dynamic range of color, the GAMUT: which means finer detail in the transition in the luminance of things, rather than the harsher "computer look" common in all the other viewers.

For anyone curious what Gamut is: https://epxx.co/artigos/gamut_en.html

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What a GREAT look!

Thank you so much!

The look comes a bit from the backstory I've been working on for her. I think that backstory is coming together while trying to balance personality traits and quirks without being too emo or too trope-heavy, but including plot hooks that can be developed through gameplay.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

The look comes a bit from the backstory I've been working on for her. I think that backstory is coming together while trying to balance personality traits and quirks without being too emo or too trope-heavy, but including plot hooks that can be developed through gameplay.

We talk a fair amount about how a picture can "tell a story," but those of us who don't RP probably don't pay enough regard to the way in which our avatars can do that too. The idea of sort of consciously encoding backstory, trope, and personality into a look is really very cool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1