Where do you live?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought your pic was in Oakland, CA! ?

Oakland, CA is a city. It's in Alameda County. If you're interested, It was about 75 there today. All of central/north central coastal California is a bit warmer than usual, which I mind not in the slightest. I just like seeing the sun getting higher in the sky these days. I have to start pretending I don't have the wintertime blues in like September; I just hate seeing the sun get lower and lower. Now, a month plus after solstice it's heading back where I like it. :-)

ETA: Luckily I've never had the summertime blues. They're incurable.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Google knows the right answer for the "most stable country in the world 2016". ^_^

Finland then :)

If you are a doctor, and you were in Portugal in the late 90s, we may have met :)

My absolute favourite piece of classical music is Intermezzo from the Karelia suite, by your countryman, Sibelius.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Finland then :)

If you are a doctor, and you were in Portugal in the late 90s, we may have met :)

My absolute favourite piece of classical music is Intermezzo from the Karelia suite, by your countryman, Sibelius.

Yes, Finland is right.
By the way, Finlandia hymn by Sibelius is also very nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFtxMaRoik

Somebody has made instruction for foreigners visiting Finland "What to wear in winter". The dressing applies to both men and women. :/xD
Finland_what-to-wear-in-winter.jpg.a84b8e7d039f90aaacffed347135f1d1.jpg

Something more about Finland here:
http://inktank.fi/100-reasons-why-finland-is-best-country-in-the-world/
;):ph34r:

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

Yes, Finland is right.
By the way, Finlandia hymn by Sibelius is also very nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFtxMaRoik

Somebody has made instruction for foreigners visiting Finland "What to wear in winter". The dressing applies to both men and women. :/xD

Something more about Finland here:
http://inktank.fi/100-reasons-why-finland-is-best-country-in-the-world/
;):ph34r:

I will SO go to Finland one day... I love the country, the language ( failed at learning it though) but DAMN.... presented it in class in my precourse fo my new job training *-*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

I know that Sibelius wrote Finlandia but I've never heard it. I have it open in another browser tab now, so I'll listen to it this afternoon. It would have to be really good to surpass Intermezzo for me, though. I can't tell you how much I love that piece, especially the beginning of it.

I once had a small SL parcel with my cousin, which we called Luosto. That's because Luosto is her absolute favourite place in the entire world. She's been there, of course :)

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

I think that's why so many Finns felt comfortable emigrating to the North Central Midwest in the US and to Sasketchewan and Manitoba in Canada. That's how we dress for half the year. (The rest of the year we are cursing nasty little biting insects  -- "mygg" in Swedish ). I have only been in Finland once, while driving from Umea to Nordcap in the 1970s. It looked like home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pandora Barzane said:

also from The Netherlands, few km below Amsterdam in an town called Alphen aan den Rijn. I believe we're most famous because our awesome bridgebuilding techniques

Good grief, I hope that wasn't as horrible as it looked for anyone caught in that. All I could find on Google (in English, that is) were stories from the day it happened; August 3, 2015, and they are of course sketchy on details.

1 hour ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Good grief, I hope that wasn't as horrible as it looked for anyone caught in that. All I could find on Google (in English, that is) were stories from the day it happened; August 3, 2015, and they are of course sketchy on details.

There was nobody wounded or killed except  for one dog who was in one of the buildings who got hit sadly. All in all I think it was a small miracle nobody else got hurt, the houses it fell on is in a busy street in the centre of town. I think the thing that helped because it was such a big operation, people were watching it all around the neighbourhood, so they saw it happening go bad, a restaurant wich was in the impact zone was full of people, but the owner saw the kranes moving the wrong way and alarmed the people to gtfo, few seconds later the place was under the bridge part. Took them 6 months to clean up the mess.

Edited by Pandora Barzane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 2/3/2018 at 2:56 AM, Coby Foden said:

In Finnish language we have this word "Lohikäärme" (in English Dragon), which some Finns accidentally translate into English as "Salmon snake".
This is how it looks. :/

Finnish_Salmon-snake.jpg

I KNEW I'd seen that image somewhere but I couldn't remember where. I was looking for this post yesterday (Oct. 15) because of an article I saw on BBC Online. I didn't save the link (sorry) but as the caption shows it was about Pompeii. I believe it was an article saying they'd found evidence the eruption was a few months later than the long-believed date.

This image certainly suggests that The Mighty Finn (a possibly mythical character) extended his travels as far as Italy (it's known he got to Hungary; they speak almost the same language).

SalmonDragon.PNG

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.