Security Orb Creators and Owners

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Should be possible for LL to change ban lines to not trap aircrafts and boats, just brush them off the edge. But LL haven't done that for what 13 years? 15 years?

I have a JIRA in for that. And some of my boats can recover from certain types of ban lines. "Object cannot enter but avatar can" is recoverable by script. "Avatar cannot enter but object can" results in an avatar being violently being ejected from the vehicle. Some permission combinations are much worse than others.

• Like 1

A couple of people were banging on about this, at the resident meeting this week. I don't understand how some people can get off, demanding they should be able to go where ever they want, when ever they want and demanding orb's be set a 45sec and banned line to be removed. Give me a break, you do not have the right to enter someone else parcel without their permission and uninvited just because you want too, even if you are flying a balloon or whatever. Go to a flying/driving sim, there are tons of them.

There are lots of places and things in SL i dont like. Instead of having a hissy fit like a 5yo. Guess what,  i just don't go to those places. its not that hard. SL is a huge place.

• Like 1

I found what works for me is to set my security orb to "passive". No ugly "you have X seconds to go" bubbles and no one gets booted rudely.

It lets me know who has been around and for how long, most times showing 0-1 in minutes. This tells me they were probably boating by or flying over. If I begin to see a pattern of revisits and times are getting longer by the same person, then I send em home. I had two drop in and stay for three hours at one time. They went on the ban list in a heartbeat. Same with bots. A few of those too are sent back to whereas they came from. I pay rent for my entertainment and not for someone to come and hang out (unless I know them).

I dislike ban lines as much as the next person for the reasons stated here.

Out boating or flying, having a proper speed going to transit sim lines smoothly and everything is fine, then BOOM, "You have 20 seconds...". That harshes the mood.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gyprock said:

There are lots of places and things in SL i dont like. Instead of having a hissy fit like a 5yo. Guess what,  i just don't go to those places. its not that hard. SL is a huge place.

Interesting question - is complaining about them in ones' profile considered a "hissy fit" or not?

54 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It could be considered as such, if it was done in anger. It's the angry part that makes it a hissy fit aka tantrum.

Wouldn't that be the only reason to whine/complain/beotch about something you have no control over? (Throwing a tantrum about it, I mean.)

Too many profiles express tantrums about many things, most being stuff in the past, so it's useless information. But when it's something about nothing (you cannot do *anything* about it) then... well...  :)

Edited by Alyona Su

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Wouldn't that be the only reason to whine/complain/beotch about something you have no control over? (Throwing a tantrum about it, I mean.)

Too many profiles express tantrums about many things, most being stuff in the past, so it's useless information. But when it's something about nothing (you cannot do *anything* about it) then... well...  :)

More or less. I think it has more to do with maturity level. The less mature a person is, the more likely they are to throw a hissy fit over everything and nothing. Perhaps because they can't change it but they know it needs to change so they raise hell to draw attention to the problem. 

Who knows for sure? Humans are strange.

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

More or less. I think it has more to do with maturity level. The less mature a person is, the more likely they are to throw a hissy fit over everything and nothing. Perhaps because they can't change it but they know it needs to change so they raise hell to draw attention to the problem. 

I mean, i could name someone... 

image.jpeg.040d1764ca81bf5e244518447ef69919.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

OH! A lot like how a toddler screams and shouts and cries when you take their toy away because it's bath time. Yes, yes, nods, nods.

Here's an approach:

• Have a parcel property: "Instant object return allowed". Normally off, forcing a 1 minute delay. The parcel owner can turn it on.
  • Like the other parcel properties, everyone can read that parcel property.
  • Turning it on marks the parcel on maps.
  • Aviation maps and navigational aids warn aircraft away from such parcels.

• knownorbs.png.6f19c0fdb93bd5e24865eaf43aa25020.png

Known hostile security orbs. Incomplete list but useful.

• Like 1

Let me add a few thoughts.

First, I do not understand the thinking of people who do things that make other people's lives worse without making their own better, and I never will.

I have a pretty nice house:743544710_JensHouse_001.thumb.png.fdb07a25b22d9075f53ae6eb8a11a5bb.png

You are welcome to visit: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Danim/95/116/57

I routinely leave it open to everyone in contrast to my RL practice of always locking my doors. In SL, people can't do any real damage. I ban people who persistently litter and those who behave badly toward others. Such people are rare. The ban list has 85 names, and I have owned the land almost 10 years. I am glad for other people to enjoy my house when I can't, which is most of the time. Occasionally someone installs a skybox. I periodically look to see who has objects on my land, and, if someone I don't know has some, I return the objects, and ban the owner if they had more than a few. I spend less than 5 minutes a month on that. I  just don't understand why anyone is so selfish as not want to share when it costs nothing to do it.

I also (try to) enjoy flying, and I particularly like to take off from my house and fly to some other place, which seems natural to me, so flying only in a "flying sim" wouldn't cut it. Again, I just don't understand why so many people want to make it hard to enjoy flying when it doesn't help them in any way. The only people it could help are people who get joy from making others' lives less enjoyable.

One reason people think they should be able to fly over others' land in SL is that they can in RL. Helicopters fly low over my RL house all the time.

Another thing I don't understand is why people set such short delays on security orbs, unless their intent is malicious. Why would they not allow enough time for inadvertent trespassers to see a warning and leave?

Finally, as multiple people have pointed out, people are within their rights to use ban lines and security orbs with little or no delay, but there are many rights that people have in RL and in SL that nice people choose not to exercise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Occasionally someone installs a skybox. I periodically look to see who has objects on my land, and, if someone I don't know has some, I return the objects, and ban the owner if they had more than a few. I spend less than 5 minutes a month on that. I  just don't understand why anyone is so selfish as not want to share when it costs nothing to do it.

So we're selfish if we don't let anyone and everyone rez on our land?

BTW, this is what it costs me:

1080777805_whatitcostsmetoshare.PNG.ab56d7479f6e6f683b2ba700247867c5.PNG

(It actually costs me $210 per month, including VAT.)

The last time I allowed rezzing - even for just a few minutes - on my land, this happened:

8592230577_e2577a209e_z.jpg

Forgive me if I'm not keen to repeat that.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 10

How long did it take for autoreturn to dispose of that?

My place in Vallone, which is commercial, rather than residential, has a 20 minute autoreturn and allows anyone to rez. I have a standard "Rez Zone" sign,  a "Drivers of SL" sign, and a "Parking" sign. I get about two griefing incidents a year. I did have someone who tried to expand a large prefab building there, but she was embarrassed, not trying to make trouble. I told her where to find the big Linden sandboxes.

It may help that this is in Zindra, the adult continent. There seems to be less trouble there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

OH! A lot like how a toddler screams and shouts and cries when you take their toy away because it's bath time. Yes, yes, nods, nods.

You said it, not me. xD

There are times though, when it is a good thing to throw a "hissy fit" to bring about change. That's how some laws in the US got changed. An example of that would be segregation.

It's not easy to get that kind of mess with auto-return enabled and set to even a quite permissive interval. It's a form of herd immunity: when enough folks in the area have it turned on, it's just not so much fun to grief with the old self-replicating garbage.

My groups have auto-return land scattered around a lot of vulnerable places, and honestly, I still have less trouble with object griefers than I do with adfarmers, even after all these years.

So I really don't know how to get anything like the depicted griefing without making an appointment with the griefer... or leaving auto-return disabled, the universal hobo sign for "GRIEF ME".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

At least for those few moments the uncrippling of art Qie speaks of was allowed manifestation in all its glory upon your land.

Whatever do you think you're on about here?

I have used the word "cripple" to refer to the acts of superstitious creators who set their stuff (mostly clothing) no-mod because they've been led to think it somehow protects their IP (talk about banana-ear!).

If I've ever said that everybody should set their land to open build, that would have been a mistake. It's true that my groups' parcels are almost always open build with auto-return, and we almost always get away with it, but I wouldn't argue strongly that anybody else should do likewise.

I also don't necessarily advocate object-entry, but it can be useful for reducing detritus (especially poorly scripted unoccupied vehicles from the bad old days) that otherwise collects along the border -- especially if the neighbor doesn't enable auto-return.

As long as I'm listing them: Disabling scripts is pretty useless except in response to an ongoing griefer attack. Push usually doesn't matter, but that could change if orbiter guns become a thing again. And restricted access just makes everyone suspicious that something dreadful must be behind the crime scene tape.

• Like 2

My two cents FWIW as both a vehicle user and mainland owner of a small parcel.

I'm completely sympathetic to people who are getting SL stalked and have to be a bit draconian.

But I really wish there was more newbie education, not about "rules" which anybody can look up, but about etiquette and self-protection.

1) The wandering exploring newbies who wander into houses didn't get that part of the etiquette lecture. I always put dressing areas and bedrooms into high skyboxes. It is rare to encounter anybody up there, and even the neighbors I can see from there are all privacy minded. We have learned to assume a skybox is a bedroom and we keep out. It's almost superfluous to use an orb up there, unless you have the misfortune to get an actual stalker. I really like the suggestion to have a layer of air that is skybox free, so planes and skyboxes can live happily together. 

2) You will get more sympathy for vehicle users if you try it yourself. You might enjoy it! 

3) The two things I want to implore people to do (etiquette, not rules):

If you need banlines or an orb, don't buy land next to a sim edge, water, or a road. 

Orb the house and courtyard but not the whole lot, so you can use a more punitive interval but nobody is affected just passing by. 

4) People who expect privacy in SL without turning off avatar visibility can't have it, not because of parcel security, but because of camming. Even on the potato I use to go online, I can crank up my draw distance and change my settings so I can cam through land, prims, everything, sims away from me. Not everyone who does this is polite of intent. The correct reaction to this is not fear or modesty but a certain detachment about the Barbie doll you're using for an avatar.

5) To male avatars: the female avatars you find in their houses did not come to SL to have sex or even a conversation with YOU. Unfortunately everybody who drives a female avatar has come across a clueless character who didn't seem to realize this. It's griefing. It will bring out my hyperactive land security tactics like nobody's business, that includes damage, because I enjoy shooting at targets. But I don't like to do this, because I'm in the camp of the vehicle users and I'm not trying to tie up an innocent sailboat or a helicopter in my banlines and orbs. When I threw parties I had a private bolthole and set home to that instead of my club or house. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On my recent travels round Jeogeot on Route 10 in particular i noticed someone has been buying small pockets of roadside land and putting up these "Good neighbour commandments for second life mainland" obelisks one of which is security orbs should be set to at least one minute warning before TPing. This one is in Tangna

1415693123_Orbcommandments_001.png.0245852f413e0499caf40b6031cc2456.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

On my recent travels round Jeogeot on Route 10 in particular i noticed someone has been buying small pockets of roadside land and putting up these "Good neighbour commandments for second life mainland" obelisks one of which is security orbs should be set to at least one minute warning before TPing. This one is in Tangna

1415693123_Orbcommandments_001.png.0245852f413e0499caf40b6031cc2456.png

"lest thou beest a jerk"

That's really going to help. 9_9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.