Is it cheating?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/3/2015 at 1:25 PM, ZoeTick said:

If you have a male avatar, and they are partnered with a female avatar who is not your real life wife and your real life wife starts playing sl and you have an SL affair with your real life wife without telling your SL partner is that cheating.

And on who?

Or whom?

since sl is a cartoon world  and its a cartoon marriage the answer is yes but yr cheating on yr real life wife with yr sl wife cuz in yr mind in the cartoon world you can do anything behind yr real wifes back cuz its just a cartoon and you believe that even those  yes yr cheating on yr rl wife 

If I read a book, about a girl with a lover, and as I do I immerse myself in the book so I imagine that I am her, is that cheating on my RL partner? If not then why would doing the same thing in SL be cheating? 

It's an interesting topic but I doubt the OP will see the recent replies- He/she seems to have left more than two years ago. ;)

Don't blame poor Amanda for nekroing the thread though. It was bumped by somebody who sued the thread to advertise their sim. With that post removed by the moderators, suddenly Amanda's looks like the first recent one.

• Like 1

This is just the 'is RolePlay real' debate.  We make a big thing about SL avatars being real people (caveat Bots and AniMesh) with real feelings.  You can hurt the ones you love here, just as easily as you can in RL.  But you can lie better.

On 4-12-2017 at 1:43 AM, Talligurl said:

If I read a book, about a girl with a lover, and as I do I immerse myself in the book so I imagine that I am her, is that cheating on my RL partner? If not then why would doing the same thing in SL be cheating? 

Because with a book its just you and there is no other person involved. That's where i would draw the line.

Otherwise you could also go next step, when my partner uses a chat & webcam and have sex with someone else. Or have phone sex with someone else. Is all still not real sex, but I would consider it cheating since she shares those intimate interactions with another person.

• Like 1

I figure if someone has to ask..They aren't really trying to find out if something is cheating or not..They know good and well..

They're just trying to see if someone may have a good argument for what they are doing.

Some little technical loophole will never beat out trust lost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Because with a book its just you and there is no other person involved. That's where i would draw the line.

Otherwise you could also go next step, when my partner uses a chat & webcam and have sex with someone else. Or have phone sex with someone else. Is all still not real sex, but I would consider it cheating since she shares those intimate interactions with another person.

Perhaps a better analogy would be actors in a movie, are they cheating if they are in a love scene together while playing other characters? In SL some people use there Avis as extensions of themselves, while others are playing a character. I am not convinced the answer is the same for both groups.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Perhaps a better analogy would be actors in a movie, are they cheating if they are in a love scene together while playing other characters? In SL some people use there Avis as extensions of themselves, while others are playing a character. I am not convinced the answer is the same for both groups.

I agree, its mostly the mindset and intent that counts. And also the mindset of the RL partner. Like Ceka said, if you have on to ask on a forum you probably know you are wrong. You have to ask your RL partner AND you SL partner both. If they agree and see no harm done, go ahead. If one or either do not agree, don't. Or do it anyway and be cheating.

On 6/4/2015 at 5:12 PM, Bree Giffen said:

You and your wife need to drink your pina coladas in the rain and leave us out of it.

Bree, that is so wrong. you can't bring up that song here. now it'll be stuck in my head for the next day.  i'll go to youtube to watch it and then get stuck watching every video on the side for the next 6 hours.

i love you but i hate you too right now :)

On 6/3/2015 at 12:25 PM, ZoeTick said:

If you have a male avatar, and they are partnered with a female avatar who is not your real life wife and your real life wife starts playing sl and you have an SL affair with your real life wife without telling your SL partner is that cheating.

And on who?

Or whom?

is it cheating = definitely, especially if you are asking in here, you already know that

hopefully you are actually going to tell the person who is your SL partner as they are emotionally invested in you and betrayal of feelings in SL is the same as in RL.  the person behind the screen in SL definitely has feelings.  how about you grow up and instead of asking this question in here, go and deal with the situation in real life.  hoping you are not treating this as some sort of an ego game that you think people will high five you in here for playing with the emotions of two women at once.  that kind of thinking needs to be relegated to the last century.

treat these women as human beings with emotions and feelings.  go and tell them or stop playing with them and go to some adult sim to have sex with a AFK toon as you can get your kicks and not hurt anyone.  don't forget to tip.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

If you like cheese enchiladas, but you don't like whole grain
If you think that all yogurt should be thrown down the drain
If you like eating cake at midnight while others are asleep
I'm the chef you have looked for, and I work pretty cheap

OMG Rhonda, you are hilarious! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my view it is, and these things never end well, as I know from seeing this happen to hundreds of customers. The only good thing I can say about it, is that it leads to two rentals where once there was one, but this is offset by people who simply leave SL abruptly in tears, never to return again.

It really does hurt, when you are cheated on by a RL partner even with that seemingly ephemeral SL being.

On 03/06/2015 at 7:25 PM, ZoeTick said:

And on who?

Or whom?

If you would not like either the RL partner, or the SL partner, or both to know what you are doing with the other, because of how they might see it or react, then it's cheating. Who it's cheating on is irrelevant.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.