How important is the day night cycle to you? Should SL just have constant daylight?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 76 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whenever I log into SL the mainland parcel of my skybox always seems to be set to night and I always have to switch it to day. We don't really need a circadian cycle in a virtual world. It's a nice idea but it really only makes residents have to do multiple mouse clicks every time they log in. At the very least, LL should let residents have permanent personal lighting instead of resetting after every session. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Whenever I log into SL the mainland parcel of my skybox always seems to be set to night and I always have to switch it to day. We don't really need a circadian cycle in a virtual world. It's a nice idea but it really only makes residents have to do multiple mouse clicks every time they log in. At the very least, LL should let residents have permanent personal lighting instead of resetting after every session. 

FS has this setting: persist environmental settings throught sessions  Why they don't offer it in their viewer is surprising, maybe its hidden in debug?

Edit: I only use 2 different skies for all travels , except doing photos, then I switch to some others.

Edit 2: the debug in FS is EnvironmentPersistAcrossLogin , you can check if its in their viewer too.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Hmmm...sometimes I set mine to noon and it always sticks.  On Firestorm anyway...

• Like 4

As Modulated said, on FS at least you can default to whatever setting you want, so that everything always looks the same no matter where or when you log on.

This is how I have my FS viewer set whenever I am not doing any travel-related stuff, just use the one windlight - no clicking required.

However, when travelling the grid by boat, car, plane etc, then I always use the the default day cycle - because i do want to see the full day environment as I am travelling.  Travelling the grid and dealing with sunrise and sunset, and night time - is much more interesting this way. It is amazing how different some places look in SL in the middle of the night when compared to midday for example.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

At the very least, LL should let residents have permanent personal lighting instead of resetting after every session. 

Should have used a decent TPVV, where you can set your preferred EEP setting and it sticks, until you decide to change it.

2 hours ago, animats said:

Contiguous areas should have to be on the same schedule, so you don't get the sun and clouds zooming across the sky on a parcel boundary crossing.

Don't be daft, that would mean ENFORRCING what EEP people were allowed to use, also, even if they ARRE on the same cycle, that doesn't guarantee the sun and clouds won't "race", as they might have the sun rising in the north and setting in the east, and completely different clouds.

Tell me, do you actually USE SL and know anything about it, or just lurk in Babbage testing you rusty-view?

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

2 hours ago, animats said:

Contiguous areas should have to be on the same schedule, so you don't get the sun and clouds zooming across the sky on a parcel boundary crossing.

My home sim actually has, or had, I haven't checked lately, that happening on it. I'd walk across the boundary into the little no-peeking parcel to try on clothes or something, and the sky would darken and the moon would sail across it. Kinda fun to just walk back and forth across the parcel boundary.

Of course, the two parcels have or had completely different environments set, so time of day probably didn't matter in making the sky act funny.

Different cause, but same effect, anyway.

I wouldn't mind a day-night cycle IFF it was a 24 hour cycle and I could set the latitude and date (i.e. fully control the day/night cycle simulation).  Logging in from a European exit node always seems to give me night time, but it's easy to fix.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Whenever I log into SL the mainland parcel of my skybox always seems to be set to night and I always have to switch it to day.

Since you mention your skybox, I set mine to a 24 hour cycle, synchronized to my RL timezone.

etime.webp.4db3f99cbd59bb819f5878a4da9466e5.webp

Outside my place, I manually set the time using Firestorm (search for "persist environment" in the Preferences window). I’ve noticed that it affects my circadian cycle. Generally, I prefer it to match my real-life time. However, if there’s a special sky (e.g., in a sci-fi location or at SLB), I use the shared one.

Edited by SueWorthly
typos
  • Like 3

I'm mainly happy that the lights ain't out in Second Life yet, after all the sky falling that is going on. ;)

And for the rest: The viewer has enough options to simply adjust lightning to what I need at that moment.

• Like 2

Reminds me of a funny scene I saw in a roleplay Sim about a paladin and a vampire *discussing* the meaning of "sunlight torches undead" without realising that they BOTH had set their windlight to something custom.

Personally, I don't think I've ever made much use of the natural progression but like it as a concept in general. It's just that most sims use such a rough default light that I quickly got into the habit of setting one myself. That has somewhat decoupled me from the day and night cycle and I only really switch to default when it becomes important in roleplay.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, animats said:

I try to always have the ground level of my parcels set to the Region setting, but any of the sky altitudes is fair game. An absolutely pitch-black EEP makes a good "underground" skybox for caves, cellars, mineshafts, etc. The transition between levels can be cool, too.

There's something slightly unintuitive about setting the EEP of a single level without screwing up the others, and I generally have to re-learn it each time I get around to EEPing a parcel. (Hence, for the longest time, some of my mainland parcels didn't match the region default, even though I tried to set them that way. I think I eventually fixed that everywhere now.)

13 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

LL should let residents have permanent personal lighting instead of resetting after every session. 

in the Linden viewer this is a debug setting: EnvironmentPersistAcrossLogin. Default is False. Set to True and on login will have the lighting you last logged off with

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, elleevelyn said:

in the Linden viewer this is a debug setting: EnvironmentPersistAcrossLogin. Default is False. Set to True and on login will have the lighting you last logged off with

Thanks for this. I was able to save my lighting. I knew we had this option before but it seemed to disappear for a while. It's good to see it available even if hidden away in the default Linden viewer.

The Linden SL Viewer has the Persist setting...

image.png.0567645f8f28ad7dbfe81f30a59c4d9f.png

I think this is a basic setting common in all viewers.

Having a 4 hour cycle is kind of interesting. But we can adjust the viewer to do whatever we want. That makes it somewhat irrelevant what the Lab does by default.

20 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Its always midday for me. Whenever i chose use shared environment, its a disaster , so i immediatly go back to mid day. Plus that way my full bright hair and tail doesn’t actually look full bright 😬

I love options; and I love that there's the option to select the default skies/time setting or the option to use EEPs.  Sometimes I really need it to be midday; sometimes I really need it to be dark and atmospheric; keeping my options open would mean I'd personally answer "Yes, we really need" to the question.

I tend to just run some customized variation on a Sunset lighting theme since I like it the most but I do like it when I visit places that have customized their lighting, I will always check "Shared Environment" just in case.

I find a lot of the daytime lighting in SL to be too harsh though, often doesn't look very nice.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 76 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.