Poll: Do you always, sometimes, or never accept an Experience invitation when you enter a sim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don't even know what they are. 

'Experience' is basically a way of giving some automatic and lasting permissions to scripts, while in a region that the Experience is enabled in. You just accept the Experience once (you get a popup when a script tries to use one on you, like a normal permission pop-up but much bigger and more impressive), and then any script in any object using that experience has those permissions to do things to your avatar without asking again.

Once accepted, the Experience is persistent; that is, survives relogs and leaving and re-entering the region, until you revoke it manually. The Experience only works in regions where it is enabled.

Specifically, it allows scripts to take over and act on movement controls, attach objects to you, animate you, sit you on an object, teleport you, set/change your environment, and track and control your view camera. All without being asked for any further permissions. It's great for complex hunts and adventures (like the Twisted hunts I miss). I like to combine it with RLV scripting to do even more, but they are two different systems and Experience does not in any way depend on RLV or use it itself.

A good example is the AVSit Experience, which simply allows objects using that seating system to attach props to your avatar without asking when you sit on them; once you have accepted the Experience (and if it is enabled for the region, which is easy to do). I like that one... I can sit on my couch and have a wine glass attached without any further to-do.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

'Experience' is basically a way of giving some automatic and lasting permissions to scripts

Yes, however, it's important to understand that the only permissions that it deals with are  PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS,  PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION,  PERMISSION_ATTACH,  PERMISSION_TRACK_CAMERA,  PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA and PERMISSION_TELEPORT.  Some of those have always been granted automatically and silently whenever you sit on an object anyway. All but PERMISSION_TELEPORT are granted if they are in objects that you own.  The only one that is unique to Experiences is PERMISSION_TELEPORT, which we do not have any other way to request.  Notice that one very important permission that an Experience cannot request is PERMISSION_DEBIT, which means that an Experience can never be used to get access to your L$ balance.

As far as scripters and merchants are concerned, those permissions can be handy at times. They can make some actions smoother and less intrusive because they get around having to open annoying permission boxes every time a user turns around.  The real power of Experiences, though, lies in the ability to create and save large databases of information .... information that can be used to record progress in games, visits to a venue, bonus points or group membership perks, and a host of other data that we either had a very hard time collecting and analyzing in the past or couldn't handle at all.  This advantage is relatively unappreciated by most SL residents, but has led to a generation of scripted tools that have made the Bellisseria Linden Homes and recent LL games, hunts and venues possible, and has helped shops develop similar innovative tools for marketing .

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 7

Sometimes. I'll accept if I can see a good (enough) reason, like roleplay sim, Mad Pea,...If I just want to shop or look around a bit, no, unless the sim seems like it might be worth a "guided experience", instead of, or in addition to, exploring on my own. If the place looks good and someone put the effort into creating an experience for it, I might as well see if it brings some added value.

Most of the time, I’ll accept. I usually like taking part in them and as others have said, it would be easy enough to revoke permissions if something were amiss or annoying, but I’ve never had to. I have revoked them occasionally after going through an immersive though  - just so I could fly and also be able look at the builds better in brighter settings the second time around. 

I'm leery of accepting anything before I know exactly what it's going to do to my avie. That's probably from being here on the grid long enough to remember some really unkind things happening when I accepted something without knowing for sure what was going to happen. Like the time I was bitten by a vampire or had my avie's skeleton stretched out all crazy and not being able to get back to normal without relogging. Both of those happened during my infancy in SL so they were good learning experiences.

Today, I will accept an experience only if it's one offered directly by the Lab, or if I'm at a very large shopping area that uses an experience to move customers from one area to another. Otherwise, it's not really an issue. Very few of the places I frequent use them.

It would make it more comfortable for me if a creator using an experience had something given to me or shown to me stating exactly the purpose and limits of the experience they'd like me to accept. I'd be more likely to accept in that kind of situation. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what I'm being asked to accept, I am always cautious and almost always decline out of habit.

My first thoughts when I first encountered these Experiences (and still is to this day) are:-
- how do I subsequently opt-out or un-accept afterwards?
- is this acceptance permanent or temporary?
- where is the list of any experiences I may have accepted?

I don't need or want to accept something that I don't know what I will gain or get or see by accepting.

The whole thing creates an air of suspicion and doubt.

Therefor, I'm out. BLOCK.

Posted (edited)

I have allowed 32 Experiences, and I am still alive.  None have affected me in any negative way. If you never log into SL, or do anything once logged in, like sitting, or using a Linden facility, or breedables, or games, then don't use them. I am curious what the Grid Scope Experience Squeaky Mole does, though. :)

Edited by Jaylinbridges

4 hours ago, graceblakeley said:

how do I subsequently opt-out or un-accept afterwards?

"I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of." ... Guess the movie?

5 hours ago, graceblakeley said:

is this acceptance permanent or temporary?

It is not permanent. You can remove an experience you have accepted.

how do I subsequently opt-out or un-accept afterwards?

where is the list of any experiences I may have accepted?

The list of experiences you have accepted can be accessed from the top menu.
Firestorm:
Second Life
Me > Experiences

From the list of experiences, you can select one and choose 'Forget' - This will opt out of the experience you opted into.

• Like 1

In order to create an experience, you must first obtain an experience key from Linden Lab. Experience keys uniquely identify your experience and allow you to use the powerful experience functions in LSL. Abusive experiences may also be reported by experience key, allowing Linden Lab's customer support team to investigate and manage the situation accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always accept experiences. SL offers me the opportunity to wander through other people's minds. I can't do that if I stay locked safely inside my own. The risk is, at worst, annoyance and a trip to the Avatar(Me) menu to "Forget" the experience. That has never happened. I don't imagine it ever will.

The Journey Is the Reward.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.