What option is best to protect modesty in places with lots of lag?

I have been wondering, which option is going to rez more quickly for modesty on a mesh body, an alpha,, a tattoo layer bra and panties, or a clothing layer bra and panties in high lag areas ? Which is best  to hide the private areas of a mesh body when going to places in second life where avatar's clothes are not rezzing quickly and many will appear naked for a long time ? How do I prevent that from happening to me? 

• Like 1

BoM undies. You won't even show as a system avi before your avatar is 'baked' (you'll be a red/white cloud, depending on the viewer). Doesn't matter which layer it's on, as long as it's BoM (an applier, comparatively, goes on an 'onion skin' which is just more mesh which can both be slow to load, and be manually derendered by pervs even after you're fully loaded). 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you both for your answers.  I usually just wear the alpha layer covering of private areas from the mesh body hud but wonder how quickly that will rez compared to the tattoo or clothing layers ? I also noticed how the new Lara x mesh body doesn't seem to need to use  an alpha covering the classic avatar body anymore, so will that classic body underneath the mesh body show up naked in high lag areas before the mesh body goes on ? Do you think a combination of options will work better than just one? I do see how creating a skin with a baked on mesh bra and panties on it would be a good idea, of course it could get in the way of certain strapless dresses and tops so better to use pasties.  I don\t see it done by skin makers very often, but I can create my own skin if i have to. 

Edited by Elinah Iredell

You probably won't be happy to know that people can derender your clothing if you use firestorm without you even knowing.....though maybe not BOM layers - not sure.

If it makes you feel better I've never had anyone IM me to tell me I'm naked or to make lewd comments. I just chalk it up to "stuff happens"

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it, it's SL. If you want to be sure, wear BOM knickers and you'll be fine, but it won't stop pervs looking, only bare skin being shown

I also believe Izzie's do BOM that removes nipples and genitals, so nothing shows but skin

If you want all covered, wear pants and tops with alpha layer below, I think this stays on while rezzing

Most are clouds to me now and appear rezzed x

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Thank you both for your answers.  I usually just wear the alpha layer covering of private areas from the mesh body hud but wonder how quickly that will rez compared to the tattoo or clothing layers ? I also noticed how the new Lara x mesh body doesn't seem to need to use  an alpha covering the classic avatar body anymore, so will that classic body underneath the mesh body show up naked in high lag areas before the mesh body goes on ? Do you think a combination of options will work better than just one? I do see how creating a skin with a baked on mesh bra and panties on it would be a good idea, of course it could get in the way of certain strapless dresses and tops so better to use pasties.  I don\t see it done by skin makers very often, but I can create my own skin if i have to. 

The new LaraX,  just like most new mesh bodies, doesn't require an alpha to.hide the underlying body IF the mesh body is set to BOM.  This does mean that in crowded places, your system/default body shows up before your mesh body/head arrives.  With BOM/tattoo/system clothing, It's also shown on this underlying body so no matter which arrives first, system or mesh body, you will have undies on.

Something like this which is strapless might be nice.  It's mod. also.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Shiny-Stuffs-Basic-Lingerie-BOM-set-DEMO/25032413

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

though maybe not BOM layers - not sure.

No. The way those layers works is they're compiled into a single texture (for each channel, i.e head/top/bottom), which is then what people (yourself and others) load when baking your avi. BoM layers are bulletproof. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both again  I do feel confused about the meaning of the phrase "BOM" and what it means. I thought baked on mesh was referring to the skin you wear on your classic avatar diirectly that shows up on the mesh avatar when baked on mesh is enabled, but baked on mesh can also include both the tattoo and clothing layers too? What layer is the alpha on? 

1 hour ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Thank you both again  I do feel confused about the meaning of the phrase "BOM" and what it means. I thought baked on mesh was referring to the skin you wear on your classic avatar diirectly that shows up on the mesh avatar when baked on mesh is enabled, but baked on mesh can also include both the tattoo and clothing layers too? What layer is the alpha on? 

If when you say tattoo and clothing layers, you mean the mesh layers that are worn in addition to the Maitreya body, then those do not use BoM. But if you use the system layer clothing parts, ie tattoo, top, bottom, etc then those use BoM and are baked onto your skin which shows on both your system avatar and your mesh body. I think you may be confusing the mesh layers that come with the body and regular system clothing objects. Hope I'm not confusing you further.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a graphic to better explain what I meant.

clothinglayers.thumb.png.495cbb31072d4741aa5527ef90521df4.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Bakes on Mesh was a feature introduced a while ago which allows us to bake system layers on mesh attachments; a mesh body(/head/other stuffs) using BoM will use the skin/tattoo/clothing layers as well as alpha layers on itself (and thus, a BoM-enabled body doesn't require a 'full body alpha' to hide the system body; the system body is hidden automatically if a worn mesh object uses the system channels). 

So yes; BoM uses all of the system layers, and the order goes (from bottom to top) skin -> tattoo -> underwear (& socks, I think?) -> shirt & trousers -> jacket -> alpha (the alpha hides the mesh, or parts thereof, and thus any layers on it).

Since the baking process merges all your layers into one texture (in accordance to their order), wearing BoM underwear ensures that at no point should just your skin show without it; an avatar that has not been baked yet (or suffers a bake fail) won't be rendered at all (other than as the aforementioned cloud). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

I have been wondering, which option is going to rez more quickly for modesty on a mesh body, an alpha,, a tattoo layer bra and panties, or a clothing layer bra and panties in high lag areas ? Which is best  to hide the private areas of a mesh body when going to places in second life where avatar's clothes are not rezzing quickly and many will appear naked for a long time ? How do I prevent that from happening to me? 

I generaly rez the items of a demo on me before I take of the things I am wearing at that moment.

• Like 1

My two cents: And always remember, in the end it is just our avatar, not we personally.
We sit at home behind the keyboard, without rez problems.

• Like 3

BoM Modesty patches for nipples and crotch are included with the skin I am using. My body is then boring to look at, like a Barbie doll, before my mesh clothes are rezzed.

They are perfect with swimwear, and deep cleavage in stylish gowns. I do not want to have visible underwear when I am in a bikini or swimsuit.

I like the patches very much, because they are flawless. The patches we can buy and tint ourselves, are never so good.

It is BoM Velour skins included with the Maitreya Mesh body, but no modesty patches or cleavage options. I bought a Velour skin just to get those addons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

You have gotten some good answers. Orwar's is accurate. I'll sort of repeat it using different words to explain.

System or default avatars were first. They used system skin, tats, clothes, etc. All the things that have a unique icon in inventory. At the time each layer, i.e., skin, tat, underwear, shirt, jacket..., was a separate texture. So just on the upper body there could be 5 textures (1024x1024 multi-megabyte images). Then there was the face and lower body. People were having to download megabytes of data to render all the textures. The Lab devised Server Side Baking (SSB) to composite all these textures  into just three, head, upper, and lower body. It was a big performance boost.

Then we got mesh bodies. But mesh bodies are a type of prim and only ONE texture can be applied. There were no layers. To work around that limit designers made bodies that were like Russian dolls, a body with over laid copies of the body each slight larger. These faked layers; skin, tat, underwear, etc. required their own texture, which are applied by Appliers. Now we were right back where we were pre-SSB.

The Lab devised Bakes on Mesh (BoM), a system that took the SSB engine and modified it to bake the system layers into a texture and apply it to a mesh. For  designers it is simple to implement. They set a flag so the system knows which mesh gets the resulting baked texture. All the user has to do is decide to use the body's, or whatever part uses BOM - not limited to clothes or bodies, BOM feature by enabling it.

Rather than require we continue to use alpha layers to hide the classic body, or aka system body, the system was designed to simply not render the classic body when the BOM feature is used. No alpha needed. This allows us to use custom alpha layers to easily hide parts of a mesh body. Neat.

For those of us that learned to dress using the original classic avatar and followed the developments over time BOM is a simple next step. For those that came into SL somewhere in the middle it gets confusing. The mix of old information and current information can be misleading and very confusing. As I suspect you have found. :( Unfortunately, there is no easy solution for explaining the system to the new people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I am pretty sure the sort of alpha you wear will be a part of the bom loading process. Therefore old style clothes, underwear, tattoos and alphas will all rezz at the same time and you will look grey until they do.

• Like 2

only mesh can be derendered so if you are wearing BOM clothing or modesty covers then those can't be derendered.  I do sometimes derender things on avatars if they are causing lag or if someone is wearing something that is taking up too much room on my screen (although then I tend to just derender the person....for example last weekend Iw as trying to buy something and kept clicking on an avatar because their facelight was taking up so much space in front of the vendor)

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 2:43 AM, Marianne Little said:

BoM Modesty patches for nipples and crotch are included with the skin I am using. My body is then boring to look at, like a Barbie doll, before my mesh clothes are rezzed.

They are perfect with swimwear, and deep cleavage in stylish gowns. I do not want to have visible underwear when I am in a bikini or swimsuit.

I like the patches very much, because they are flawless. The patches we can buy and tint ourselves, are never so good.

It is BoM Velour skins included with the Maitreya Mesh body, but no modesty patches or cleavage options. I bought a Velour skin just to get those addons.

I think I'm gonna try using modesty patches more often. I hate how some mesh clothing shows a little bit of nipple, and if I try to cover that with an alpha cut, then it shows a gap. 

I think showing a nipple, crotch, bra strap or undies is not risqué. It's just sloppy dressing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think showing a nipple, crotch, bra strap or undies is not risqué. It's just sloppy dressing. 

Showing bra straps is a bad thing? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Showing bra straps is a bad thing? 

☺️ I think it would be in RL, but I'm guilty of this at times, and in SL showing our undies and naughty bits is more of a fashion statement than a faux pas.

I personally prefer to throw on some old school system tee shirt and jeans such as this and this.  Pranksters can derender all the mesh they want, but they ain't going to get a free peep show.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
a letter
  • Like 2

I'm gonna whip up some bom undies that say, You can't see mah Buuu'uutt, you can't see mah Bew'bies... hehehe

I can picture the IM's already..

What an ego you have thinking people are lookin at your butt and bewbies.

I'll be like, How'd you know what they said?\o/

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm gonna whip up some bom undies that say, You can't see mah Buuu'uutt, you can't see mah Bew'bies... hehehe

I can picture the IM's already..

What an ego you have thinking people are lookin at your butt and bewbies.

I'll be like, How'd you know what they said?\o/

hehehe

Do some like those bumper stickers that say "If you can read this, you're too close".

"Derendering my clothes? Naughty boy!"

"Nothing to see here. Move along."

"These are not the boobs you're looking for."

"Carpet is overrated"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6