Legacy vs Reborn

Tayt3rChip

Hey !!

I currently wear maitreya but I'm looking to buy a new body and I'm split between Legacy or Reborn. I'm getting the new body for pregnancy. The legacy body is 5k. The reborn body is currently at 3.5 k which would be the price for the body and the bjork add on.I could potentially carry on wearing the body after pregnancy , so the  longevity of the body is somewhat important.  The legacy pregnancy body has a lot of clothing options, it fits legacy clothing whilst pregnant  and when you go back to regular shape after pregnancy.  The reborn body with the add on has limited clothing options and the clothes are very overpriced, but once pregnancy is over there are a lot more options at reasonable prices. 

I'm leaning towards legacy but I'm concerned about longevity. It seems reborn is very popular and looks like it will stay that way. Really split on whether to get reborn or legacy. Any advice is appreciated. 

Honestly, I would demo both and see which one you feel the best in and best about over all..Because in the long run, that's really going to be what matters most..

They both have a lot of content for afterwards and afterwards is going to come before you know it.. hehehe

I don't worry too much on price for a body or a head anymore, because that's just the cost of an outfit or two nowadays.. You would think we were buying a mesh body every time we go shopping, for what some want for not that much covering.. hehehe

In my opinion, what ever body makes you feel good with and works best for you, is the best body for you..

I would demo them for a bit and toy with the huds and  do some shaping and anything else that may come to mind and weigh your pro's and cons with them. :)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 6

Exactly what Ceka said (so why do I comment at all?), try the demo versions and try movements and positions, just what you think is important with your new body. A better price is always an argument, of course. I switched from Maitreya to Legacy about a year ago and I feel good with it.

Never tried Reborn somehow, but be aware that you will probably have to sort out a lot from your inventory, when you change to whatever 💔

Sry, forgot that note: I guess both, Legacy and Reborn, will stay for a while. Just like others do as well.

Edited by liberty4us
  • Like 2

I don't know anything about the pregnancy options but as a mostly happy Legacy owner I'll mention a couple of things to check while you're demoing to make sure you can live with them:

• Spend some time using the Styles part of the HUD and make sure you can live with it, especially the fact that you have to have Media enabled to use it (just the Styles part, though, and you can turn Media off when you're not). Personally, I almost never use the Styles tab of the HUD, aside from the initial setup to turn BoM on, because it suuuuuucks. I even bought mesh nails to avoid using it (Cazimi Ballerina nails, best L$1 I ever spent) unless I need to paint my toenails. Note that you can turn the body's nails on and off with gestures now, it's just painting them that requires the HUD.
  • Get some demo garments that are scripted to activate the alpha cuts, and try putting them on and then taking them off a few times. Notice how slooooow the alphas get painted back in. A real shocker if you've switched from literally any other mesh body. Try it on a laggy sim for real agony. I just avoid things that activate alphas, which my personal style allows, but if you like lots of cover and you also change your clothes a lot this may really be a problem for you.

If I could have gotten the shape I wanted with eBody Reborn I probably would have gone with that instead, but Legacy was the only popular body that did what I wanted. Both bodies seem to be popular enough to be well supported by apparel creators so I don't think you can make a bad choice here.

Edited by Ezbeharra
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ezbeharra said:

I don't know anything about the pregnancy options but as a mostly happy Legacy owner I'll mention a couple of things to check while you're demoing to make sure you can live with them:

• Spend some time using the Styles part of the HUD and make sure you can live with it, especially the fact that you have to have Media enabled to use it (just the Styles part, though, and you can turn Media off when you're not). Personally, I almost never use the Styles tab of the HUD, aside from the initial setup to turn BoM on, because it suuuuuucks. I even bought mesh nails to avoid using it (Cazimi Ballerina nails, best L$1 I ever spent) unless I need to paint my toenails. Note that you can turn the body's nails on and off with gestures now, it's just painting them that requires the HUD.
  • Get some demo garments that are scripted to activate the alpha cuts, and try putting them on and then taking them off a few times. Notice how slooooow the alphas get painted back in. A real shocker if you've switched from literally any other mesh body. Try it on a laggy sim for real agony. I just avoid things that activate alphas, which my personal style allows, but if you like lots of cover and you also change your clothes a lot this may really be a problem for you.

If I could have gotten the shape I wanted with eBody Reborn I probably would have gone with that instead, but Legacy was the only popular body that did what I wanted. Both bodies seem to be popular enough to be well supported by apparel creators so I don't think you can make a bad choice here.

There are chat commands now to set up BOM on Legacy, so there is no longer any need to turn media on for that.

• Like 3

If you're planning on gettng a Zooby baby, you may want to consider their LoveMomma body, purely because it's so well-integrated and shape changes etc. are all done for you. Not much clothing around, but how much do you really need in terms of maternity wear? My alt just bummed around in tunics and BOM leggings.

If on the other hand you want to avoid that whole money pit of an ecosystem, just pick your favourite between Legacy and Reborn. I wouldn't worry too much about future-proofing as there's enough existing inventory to keep you going for years.

• Like 3

The LoveMomma body has a lot of support at Thalia Heckroth.  Almost all of her newest releases include that size.  Some of it might be a bit conservative for you but she has some cute dresses, play suits, lingerie and she also make clothing for the kids.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thaliaheckrothflickr/albums/72157719800772245/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/avlovemomma/pool/

• Like 5

ok so I ended up doing demos and really thinking it through, and ended up going for legacy. I prefer that body to the reborn. I have demoed the reborn a couple of times but I struggled to achieve the shape I wanted with it. I consume a lot of zooby products but sadly I don't think the love momma is a good fit for me. Thank  you all so much for all your advice, I really appreciate it and it helped a lot. Still working on my shape with the legacy but really happy with the purchase. tnx so much guys xx

• Like 8

I found Reborn was too hard to get slim enough for me (ya, I know about deformers), but Legacy Perky worked fine with my old Lara Petite shape plus a couple of little tweeks.  But if you are doing it for preggy reasons that might not be a factor.  My big issue with the change was going to get the redeliveries to find the Perky versions of gazillions of clothes...

• Like 3

On 2/18/2024 at 10:15 PM, Anna Nova said:

I found Reborn was too hard to get slim enough for me (ya, I know about deformers), but Legacy Perky worked fine with my old Lara Petite shape plus a couple of little tweeks.  But if you are doing it for preggy reasons that might not be a factor.  My big issue with the change was going to get the redeliveries to find the Perky versions of gazillions of clothes...

I went from Tonic Fine body to Legacy, but I'm not sure how long Legacy is going to be around for. I was browsing this part of the forum hoping to find some signs for what I should jump to next, actually.

55 minutes ago, Harper Held said:

I went from Tonic Fine body to Legacy, but I'm not sure how long Legacy is going to be around for. I was browsing this part of the forum hoping to find some signs for what I should jump to next, actually.

I don't think you should worry about Legacy going away anytime soon. It's one of the 3 most popular female bodies - Maitreya, Legacy and Reborn. Of course, you can demo other bodies now, so you know which others you might like.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

I'm just glad Legacy isn't gone... that is the shape the anthro Bladencat HUME is based on. And ya, the creator of that fine piece recently returned to SL so it's back for sale again! 

Legacy has far too many users to ever really be gone, unless they did something like slink one day and pulled out support and closed up shop.. But really even then there is still a ton of content for it..

The only thing that would really need to be updated  by now would probably be if LL made some major change like they did with BOM.. Otherwise, as long as those sales keep happening in the stores with users buying things, stores wouldn't stop making things for the body, I wouldn't think..

And even then, there is still a crap load of stuff already out there.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

On 2/18/2024 at 5:05 PM, Ezbeharra said:
  • Notice how slooooow the alphas get painted back in. A real shocker if you've switched from literally any other mesh body. Try it on a laggy sim for real agony. I just avoid things that activate alphas, which my personal style allows, but if you like lots of cover and you also change your clothes a lot this may really be a problem for you.

This is the major issue I have with the body, as well as the hud. I think it's a better looking body than Lara, but it's also likely I'm the only one who can tell. In a crowded sim it's hard to tell what bodies folks are using unless they are ramped up on the siders.

I had the same issues with Reborn. A friend told me last night that pretty much all over her is deformed and if I am going to do that, I might as well stick with Legacy.

Long term, I think I am going to move to LaraX.  Short term it will be a mix of Legacy and LaraX. One thing this all forced me do to was update my base outfit for the current skins and shapes for each of the bodies. One smart move with Maitreya is they had Velour do the base skins. I use Rose Kiss as my body skin and it made it so much easier.

Edit: Wow the blogger crowd really did move over to Reborn. Almost all the Flickr bloggers I see are Reborn now.

Edited by Zallia Creeley
  • Like 3

Legacy has a few test users floating around wearing a new "Pinup x Bombshell" body which was uploaded Feb 18, 2024.

IDK what kind of shape it has, though.

Maybe it will compete with Reborn. Maybe it will compete with Lara X.

One thing that is almost guaranteed, though, is that it will be released as no-mod. 😆

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 7:32 PM, Tayt3rChip said:

Hey !!

I currently wear maitreya but I'm looking to buy a new body and I'm split between Legacy or Reborn. I'm getting the new body for pregnancy. The legacy body is 5k. The reborn body is currently at 3.5 k which would be the price for the body and the bjork add on.I could potentially carry on wearing the body after pregnancy , so the  longevity of the body is somewhat important.  The legacy pregnancy body has a lot of clothing options, it fits legacy clothing whilst pregnant  and when you go back to regular shape after pregnancy.  The reborn body with the add on has limited clothing options and the clothes are very overpriced, but once pregnancy is over there are a lot more options at reasonable prices. 

I'm leaning towards legacy but I'm concerned about longevity. It seems reborn is very popular and looks like it will stay that way. Really split on whether to get reborn or legacy. Any advice is appreciated. 

Honestly I think both bodies are going to be sticking around for the long haul. My advice would be to demo both and see which shape you like best. Reborn has a distinctly large ass, so if you don't like that, Legacy would be the better option. Legacy is more versatile in terms of shape. But it's more complex (both the mesh model itself, and the useage of the hud), and it's no-mod which is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, so although I own it, I rarely wear it.

Worth noting that Legacy includes deformers which also allow you to wear clothing made for Maitreya 5.3 (not LaraX).

In the end, the main consideration should be which body gets you the shape that you like best. Both are going to give you plenty of clothing options.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

OK, finally managed to see someone wearing the body.

It definitely is more like Reborn as it has the same proportions in the thighs, pelvis, waist and chest (if you were wearing Waifu boobs).

And it is no-mod as predicted.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

OK, finally managed to see someone wearing the body.

It definitely is more like Reborn as it has the same proportions in the thighs, pelvis, waist and chest (if you were wearing Waifu boobs).

And it is no-mod as predicted.

Thanks for the update on it. I was pretty sure they'd try to go for this niche now too. Maybe a skin fair release unless they'd want to run their own Legacy Spring event again this year.

I wonder how this one will do, though. Back when Legacy was released it just hit that perfect window when people wanted something more than Maitreya, but Slink HG "wasn't it", and Belleza bodies were semi-abandoned, so combined with their very pushy PR and buying out creators who were "thrilled about it" they've managed to squeeze into the market and had their comfortable 2nd spot until Reborn got as popular as it is now.

These days.. not so much. Failed GenX bodies is a good example of "not being needed or wanted". Now Belleza never had a good presentation, so this one will probably do better. Maybe if they do this 50% off for the users of other bodies campaign again that they did last year, or even 50% off for the Legacy users. Because if it'll be 5k, and with nearly no clothing and their terrible no-mods/addons policy in place, I don't see people rushing to buy it.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 5:05 PM, Ezbeharra said:

The Legacy body came out before BOM when "onion layers" were a lot more important than they are now. All bodies, especially bodies with "onion layers" have to be chopped up into multiple meshes to work with an alpha HUD. The way Legacy did it was to make sure that every section of their body had all the associated onion layers included in each individual mesh, which means that each individual mesh of the body is smaller in area and "thicker" than most other bodies. That's probably the reason alphas would be "painted" more slowly, and also why they showed cracks at high altitudes.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Honestly I think both bodies are going to be sticking around for the long haul. My advice would be to demo both and see which shape you like best. Reborn has a distinctly large ass, so if you don't like that, Legacy would be the better option. Legacy is more versatile in terms of shape. But it's more complex (both the mesh model itself, and the useage of the hud), and it's no-mod which is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, so although I own it, I rarely wear it.

Worth noting that Legacy includes deformers which also allow you to wear clothing made for Maitreya 5.3 (not LaraX).

In the end, the main consideration should be which body gets you the shape that you like best. Both are going to give you plenty of clothing options.

I ended up going for legacy over the reborn. So far I'm really happy with my choice. I don't think I've ever done any large modifications to my maitreya body or ventured into the body mods area so it's not a huge deal to me that it's no mod. I did manage to get a pretty close shape to my maitreya on it. I've never managed to create a shape I love on the reborn body alone,, and that heavily impacted my decision. I didn't know that with deformers legacy could fit Maitreya 5.3 , that's really good to know as that was  my previous body and there are some maitreya exclusive outfits legacy can't fit. Thank you for sharing x

• Like 4

On 2/28/2024 at 3:53 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Legacy has a few test users floating around wearing a new "Pinup x Bombshell" body which was uploaded Feb 18, 2024.

IDK what kind of shape it has, though.

One thing that is almost guaranteed, though, is that it will be released as no-mod. 😆

I really hope it's not more of the same, I feel like the only way a new body can become popular is by offering something that isn't currently offered or is currently offered to a better level. I really wish the piggu bodies had taken off more. I even hope to purchase one at some point, because it's really different. Still waiting to see more 'dad bods' around the grid. 

• Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 2:05 PM, Ezbeharra said:

reBorn was perfect for me either. A bit too much in places. But with some dial work I got to about 90% of happy and that was enough to sell me on it for the various reasons I did not like other choices.

In a perfect world for me, freya would have fixed it's neck issue and been updated, then marketed well and have managed to finally take back it's former #1 spot from Maitreya. But that ain't happening, ever. And Gen.X made a mile long list of blunders in their rollout causing Freya's replacement to slip into near obscurity.

For a perfect example of rolling out a new body the right way vs the wrong way compare to LaraX - they gave it free to Maitreya folks. I do not understand their profit model there but for customers that's a great deal. I am guessing the brand owner makes money somewhere else in SL. But the way of rolling it out means I would be shocked if LaraX is not the #1 in a year from now (assuming it isn't already - I assume Maitreya still holds that spot). I don't care for a no-Mod body though, so it wasn't for me. But at least they didn't promise mod and then deliver no-mod with a "we'll get you what we promised on day one a few months from now" like some others did... The wrong way to do things would be to charge a huge price for the new body, not delivery many of the day-one promised features, and then do little to push up supply enough for third-party makers to want to stay involved...

On 2/29/2024 at 11:27 AM, Tayt3rChip said:

I really hope it's not more of the same, I feel like the only way a new body can become popular is by offering something that isn't currently offered or is currently offered to a better level.

This is what has kept me on reBorn actually.

With enough work I got something I couldn't get elsewhere: top heavy without a bottom so wide it had it's own zip-code.

By default reBorn is the opposite of that: small top and mile-wide rear end. But it took well to my shape dials, and then added in the Waifu attachment when everyone else was starting with medium to small chest and adding in 'even smaller to flat chest' options.

(And since it's mod I just rezzed reBorn out, unlinked the included chest, and linked in Waifu instead to make it all one attachment, after deleting most of the scripts.)

As brands eBody and Maitreya each have very different tactics for success and being liked by their customers. Very different but each good in it's own way.

Since this topic started as a compare reBorn with Legacy... I'm not too informed on Legacy. I know it's too late - the choice for the OP has already been made. But the customer support of eBody / reBorn has been really top notch. I don't mean the CSRs and such - I've never dealt with them. I just mean the random things they do. A fully mod body, lots of body attachments both by eBody and others, the monthly event in their own store showcasing brands that support them, an active chatty inworld group, and what seems to be an easy route to getting a dev kit from what I've been told.

I feel like both eBody and Maitreya are run by teams / people that are actively engaged with SL. I feel like Legacy and Belleza are run by people who log into SL every quarter and collect their earnings, then forget the platform exists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

But the way of rolling it out means I would be shocked if LaraX is not the #1 in a year from now (assuming it isn't already - I assume Maitreya still holds that spot)

It's actually not doing super amazing considering it's a free update. There's 6k unique users detected with it ( a bit more with petitex). For the last 90d it has 4.5k new entries, but original Lara has  negative 1.6k users for the same time frame, and assuming most of those users swapped to X instead it's a similar growth to what OG Lara had. Reborn in the same 90d has almost 4.9k new detections.

Total seen number - Lara will remain untouched for a few more years (150k, 2nd being Reborn now with 35k), most likely 5+, but it has all the entries from people who never log anymore for years, so it's a very bad indicator. BB site had a useful last 24h data, but it's broke recently, but before it did it usually had around 7k Lara 5.3 (some more with 5.2 and really old ones like 4.1), 5k Reborns and only 1k LaraX.

• Like 1