Does anyone use a spreadsheet for keeping track of shopping?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had to make a spreadsheet using Google Sheets to write down the items I was thinking of buying, the price and the location on the map . Then I looked at each item and checked them against what I had already purchased to avoid any duplicate styles. I also set a budget on what I was going to spend and sadly had to put some items on the backburner. 

I did it because this month had so many things I wanted to buy and couldn't keep track of all of them. 

Does anyone else plan out their buying with spreadsheets? Or do you make all decisions on the fly and calculate everything your head? Or do you not shop?

51 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I had to make a spreadsheet using Google Sheets to write down the items I was thinking of buying, the price and the location on the map . Then I looked at each item and checked them against what I had already purchased to avoid any duplicate styles. I also set a budget on what I was going to spend and sadly had to put some items on the backburner. 

I did it because this month had so many things I wanted to buy and couldn't keep track of all of them. 

Does anyone else plan out their buying with spreadsheets? Or do you make all decisions on the fly and calculate everything your head? Or do you not shop?

I guess I don't discover enough items I really want to buy to the point I'd need a budget/spreadsheet.  More than thinking I bought too much or not what I really wanted I find that frequently I wish I could remember where the hell that thing was I should have purchased!  Perhaps jotting down the location of items I'm undecided on would be a good thing.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Right now, I'm just looking for things that I don't already have that might  catch my eye..

I'm passed the phase of needing a shopping list now.. There is really only a few items I am actually looking for, so really I guess it's just keeping the list in my head ,as well as  if I see something unexpected that I like.. Grab that too..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Lol. Organization? What in the world? D:<

I solely shop based on random ideas that pop into my head. " Hmm, this would look good with a ______. * starts searching for a ______*  And then I become LOCKED in until it's done.

8f79p9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For me I just use the wishlist if it's the MP, or if in world I'll make a notecard of items I want to get. One exception to this is Shop n Hop where I use a spreadsheet that get's put out by a freebie group, that is super helpful for grabbing the gifts cards early, making notes of gifts I want/don't want, and keeping track of the stores with male items for my alt.

I use the Method of Loci, erroneously attributed to Cicero. My version is a combination of the traditional Method of Loci, or Memory Palace method, with a modified/recycling version of the "Hook" or "Peg" method, also known as the Major System, and is pretty much skeletally the same method I use for memorizing shuffled decks of cards on the spot, it just feels a bit softer with MP items because they tend to be so different from one another.

Pretty straightforward and easy.

• Like 1

Nearly all my shopping is from weekend sales these days, a lot is impulse buys: see it, like it, buy it. however with the new price increases going on it's turning in to more considered buying as spending up to L$100 an item rapidly mounts up. I have things that catch my eye from browsing the marketplace saved to my wish/watch list but i almost never get round to  buying them 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midnoot said:

Lol. Organization? What in the world? D:<

I solely shop based on random ideas that pop into my head. " Hmm, this would look good with a ______. * starts searching for a ______*  And then I become LOCKED in until it's done.

8f79p9.jpg

Ya, Most time when I come up with an idea, I'll usually have most of the things for the idea.. But that comes from years of having ideas and making looks already or just passing by and seeing a piece that I know is going to work in a future idea..

There is still always those few things I'll be lacking in to add to that mix.. Some of those things, I never see made anymore or things like them..

Building a nice collection of accessories is key.. It save time on a lot of shopping.. or better yet, give me more time for casual shopping..

Because I do both, which makes me a mutant shopper!! \o/ hehehe

• Like 1

That sounds very organized.

My method is to leave the demos of the things I like sitting in my root inventory folder for anywhere up to 6 months on the off chance that I remember them and may or may not have the funds to buy some obscenely expensive fatpack that I thought looked nice.

• Like 1

No spreadsheets here but I do have a way of shopping so I can keep to a budget. I look at all the weekend sale ads.. go demo stuff then make final decisions on Sunday.  However if something makes me Squeee in real life and it's on sale all bets are off.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The whole idea just makes me LOL.  If it gets to the point that I need a spreadsheet for anything SL related, it will be time for me to quit.  

My thoughts exactly. Besides if I did a spreadsheet for SL I'd have to redo my RL spreadsheet and then it just starts getting messy.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:23 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I'm more of an Impulse Buy kind of gal.  If I see it and I want it, I grab the demo, try it on, and buy or not. The only time I don't do that is at any event.  Then I grab all the demos throughout the event before going home and trying them all on. Then back to the event to buy everything marked as good.

There's no way I could ever check anything against similar/duplicate styles in my already overflowing inventory.  I mean... I could check against the things that are already properly filed, but then there are still all of the various 'to be sorted' folders that very likely do contains many duplicate styles under different names.

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The whole idea just makes me LOL.  If it gets to the point that I need a spreadsheet for anything SL related, it will be time for me to quit.  

I have a spreadsheet for my KittyCats, but that's a special case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.