Is this new round of mentors a good idea?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

My favorite would be "Helper".

Yes. Or "facilitator". As described, the two positions simply aid the "onboarding" of new residents, which is necessary due to the complexity of the SL user interface and lack of properly packaged noob content.

I believe one becomes a mentor when giving guidance/training/support on more advanced topics such as being successfull in a profession or avocation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Apologies, I've lost track ... Is voice a requirement?

No, voice is not required.  Here is a brief summary of what IS required...

courteous, friendly, inclusive and professional in their interaction with Newcomers and other Residents

two hour shifts at a time and at least one shift each week

training sessions that you must complete

You will not be paid

cannot solicit for tips

wear your group tag

appearance, profile and behavior need to reflect a General (G) maturity rating

use the Second Life viewer

Mole team leaders

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

courteous, friendly, inclusive and professional in their interaction with Newcomers and other Residents

You will not be paid

cannot solicit for tips

wear your group tag

Mole team leaders

Thank you for all these details!

I think it is exciting that there are Mole Team Leaders!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

You will not be paid

cannot solicit for tips

wear your group tag

Mole team leaders

sounds like an insurance seminar's host's wet dream

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I wouldn't say I'm allergic but equally... installing and configuring another viewer for precious little benefit is just a step too far. So maybe I am 'allergic'.

When it comes to explaining concepts that noobies need explained I don't see there being enough difference between official and firestorm though.

It's not a question of explaining concepts, though.   I'm thinking of answering simple questions on the lines of "How do I do this?"

Let's compare some of the menus in the two viewers.    Here's the first one on the left on the Official Viewer, next to the first on on Firestorm.   Different names, and completely different items.

2ff7a9d0bc97bd8189dc2c0cd1428fc5.png  7f6eb707b0f62e751ef78064c44fdd7f.png

Second menus

feda7f1c35d392183546ce561acd1177.png 3974b2b358f12094bde42e9228ae2e82.png

Third menus

714fe826e680f40d8cfbd65f1de28292.pngaaa455c6610136e7a52a472f88997bb7.png

World menu on the Official Viewer

75a600b1ecf43fee73038bc5ecdbd392.png

Unless you're using the same viewer as the person you're trying to help do something, the result will be complete confusion.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It's not a question of explaining concepts, though.   I'm thinking of answering simple questions on the lines of "How do I do this?"

Let's compare some of the menus in the two viewers.    Here's the first one on the left on the Official Viewer, next to the first on on Firestorm.   Different names, and completely different items.

image.png.9f52a93a192c50166667d3951f3cea0c.pngimage.png.bf1085bed88d53f5a3f0c57eb438d322.png

Second menus

image.png.f924f49c3d83af6aeffebb0e57154bb0.pngimage.png.d5427491cd554bde4c501016d3268ec2.png

Third menus

image.png.e7a0bd5f447957757f42c16db8233c59.pngimage.png.0ecedd329a6bc71138779701b608b83e.png

World menu on the Official Viewer

image.png.0daae10da95cf62e0c4706ede2756d68.png

Unless you're using the same viewer as the person to you're trying to explain how to do something, the result is going to be total confusion.

image.png

image.png

Official 3.png

Just proves that Firestorm *IS* what the LL viewer should be.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

You will not be paid

cannot solicit for tips

wear your group tag

Mole team leaders

An awful long list for helpers who will not be paid even 1 L$ for their efforts, just saying.
This will not attract the professionals LL is hoping for IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 10

Reading through the announcement and most messages I'll just add my 0.02$.

Requirements are quite silly. Schedule wise and some others.

I'll also disagree with some other people in this thread and say that original SL viewer is way more confusing than Firestorm or even Black Dragon. Depends on what kind of a userbase you might have in mind, possibly. But from a gamer's standpoint the original LL viewer is beyond saving and I had zero issues with FS when I started 10 years ago. It's still a "viewer" and not quite a game/mmo client, but somewhat passable.

I suppose if you target people who can barely find a power on button on PC, then yeah, the less options is "better" as those will get confused over everything, but otherwise making people "suffer" through LL viewer so those few who would stay still would swap to something else in the matter of a few days is rather pointless.

And last, but not least. Not counting very small forums, I have yet to see when random people from all other the world don't try to abuse any grains of power given to them. Yes, there are some good cases when people actually care and help/moderate/whatever. But a few "bad apples" can and do spoil it for everyone else in almost ever case. Reddit is a good example where some even very big subreddits (see the Xbox subreddit) are handled in the most unprofessional way possible.

So I'm not sure that the amount of new users who would decide to stick around because they get some little help at the start will be more than those who decide to delete the viewer after bumping into such types. So to me it really feels like a bandaid to the main problem, which is terrible new user experience. Instead of actually improving it (aside of upcoming new default avatars, whenever it might happen) LL decided to throw some unpaid people at it.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

Just proves that Firestorm *IS* what the LL viewer should be.

Possibly so, though it's not obvious to me why that should be the case. I suspect it's just what you're used to using -- because you know where everything is, it's clearly the better viewer.   

However, what's indisputable is that the two viewers have their menus organised very differently, that new residents will have downloaded the Official Viewer (unless they have a friend who has told them to use Firestorm, in which case their friend can probably help them) and that if the mentor is using Firestorm when trying to explain to the new resident how to do something in the Official Viewer, they're going to get nowhere.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Possibly so, though it's not obvious to me why that should be the case. I suspect it's just what you're used to using -- because you know where everything is, it's clearly the better viewer.   

However, what's indisputable is that the two viewers have their menus organised very differently, that new resident will have downloaded the Official Viewer (unless they have a friend who has told them to use Firestorm, in which case their friend can probably help them) and that if the mentor is using Firestorm when trying to explain to the new resident how to do something in the Official Viewer, they're going to get nowhere.

Not necessarily as I believe in spite of the different naming conventions, the keyboard shortcuts are likely the same

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not necessarily as I believe in spite of the different naming conventions, the keyboard shortcuts are likely the same

If there's a keyboard shortcut available, certainly, though not all menu items in either viewer have keyboard shortcuts.  But many people prefer to use menus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

By keeping the mentor program volunteer-only, LL actually bysteps the whole debate about whether mentors should be contractors or employees.

Sure, but they also p**s off the potential mentors who object to their stupid conditions. Up with which I will put only in exchange for compensation.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

An awful long list for helpers who will not be paid even 1 L$ for their efforts, just saying.
This will not attract the professionals LL is hoping for IMHO.

It seems the benefits of being a mentor are mostly altruistic in nature, with the added bonus of a certain caché?

• Like 4

This is something I think I would actually enjoy - back in the day I used to train people from many countries on the use of particular software.  However I really don't think I can go back to the LL viewer, it isn't just a matter of a different menu structure to me, but I won't derail the topic.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

So I'm not sure that the amount of new users who would decide to stick around because they get some little help at the start

It wont move the needle in terms of simple measurable short term retention.

X% will stay.

Drop new accounts into a volcano .. a different X% will stay, although the number will be the same.

Mentors and all the rest .. a different X% stays, and again, the raw numbers will be the same.

The big difference in approach is who makes up that X% and what they then go one to make of their Second Life. I'm a firm believer in that we all did better when Mentoring was a thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

at least if people want to keep it open, which I assume we all do.

That's awfully presumptuous of you. :) 

I think the biggest issue for me is the lack of compensation. Minimum wage in Massachusetts is $15 an hour.. That would be $30 minimum pay per week for me as a Mentor. I think a good compensation for Mentors at a minimum would be free premium plus. Possibly with a stipend boost for as long as they are mentors. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe but where would be able to do that as the LL has no place where one can actually do so other than by trial and error. It would in many cases result in the blind leading the blind.

Well, there IS the first Second Life University video, from Strawberry, which teaches viewer basics.

You could also go to one of the welcome hubs - I just went to BelliHub - and walk through the orientation, which gets you to use the viewer.  It would be a good exercise for anyone wanting to be a Mentor.  Interestingly, the welcome video (from Abnor) tells people twice that they should find a Mentor if they have questions.  So this program better get off the ground pronto!  The second stop in the walkthrough features a screen grab of the viewer, which gives you an explanatory popup whenever you touch a button. 

While there, I said hello and welcome to a newbie and she promptly disappeared. A very common mentor experience! 

They have dressing rooms there, too.

Unlike mainland infohubs, it appears you cannot set home to BelliHub, even if you are premium.  But it does give you a LM when you arrive, and the orientation teaches about them.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.