Is this new round of mentors a good idea?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the respons is overwhelming, this Mentor program is a success. 😄

Maybe more people use the Linden Viewer than I think. Or at least are able to use it.

They use the Official Viewer when at work in the Welcome Hub, but it can not be required that they use it all the time? 

It must be allowed to recommend another viewer when they aren't working in the Hub. If somebody they helped 3 days ago send an IM: "I met a girl who say I need to download and use the Firestorm viewer instead. Should I do it?"

Well, if the Mentor prefer Firestorm, they could say yes and send the link to information about it. Or if the Mentor prefer Catnip, the mentor could say "I prefer Catnip because x and z and y".

If newbies have spent enough time in SL to hear about other viewers, they want to continue to use SL. What viewer they use is of no importance. 😄

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Since the respons is overwhelming, this Mentor program is a success. 😄

I had two SLIGHTLY cynical thoughts:

1) Maybe there weren't really that many openings for Mentors, considering they will have Moles as Team Leaders..

2) Maybe closing applications was a good idea so everyone could focus on SL20B..

• Like 1

It is only an overwhelming success in my book, when the mentor program succeeds and delivers other results than the first attempt did in the end, many years ago.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is only an overwhelming success in my book, when the mentor program succeeds and delivers other results than the first attempt did in the end, many years ago.

Do you agree, or disagree, that perhaps any new Mentors program may be helped by the new Welcome Hub?

My understanding is, Mentors are to work at the new Welcome Hub, which in my opinion will help because Mentors can show new users information "as presented" and answer relevant questions there at the Welcome Hub.  (Instead of at some other chaotic place where new users may hang out, with irrelevant distractions.) 

Basically, the Welcome Hub will provide "Reference Material" for Mentors to help New Users.  That is my supposition. (And I do not take suppositories lightly!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Why does it have to be a short time? Shouldn't people take time to learn? Have you ever had a student learn all multiplication tables in one class session?

It is all about what the program expects the mentors to do.
I personally think that it goes way to far to learn the new members all the ins and outs of SL. If they know what I consider the very basics (I summed them up pages ago already) of SL, that is a job well done then. It could be done in one, maybe two sessions. Teach them where to find the information they are looking for, not all the information you have gathered yourself over years.

As I said before, mentors should not become personal assistance for a longer time.
They would only produce clones of themselves then. I think everybody should find their own way as much as possible.

Edited by Sid Nagy
added a , or two.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is all about what the program expects the mentors to do.
I personally think that it goes way to far to learn the new members all the ins and outs of SL. If they know what I consider the very basics (I summed them up pages ago already) of SL that is a job well done then. It could be done in one, maybe two sessions. Teach them where to find the information they are looking for, not all the information you have gathered yourself over years.

As I said before, mentors should not become personal assistance for a longer time.
They would only produce clones of themselves then. I think everybody should find their own way as much as possible.

That's not the point I was making. 

No one has suggested mentors be personal assistants that I have seen. People learn at different "speeds". Some learn more quickly than others so there will be those who will need more than 2 hours. This does not mean that the new person must have the same mentor for the whole learning process. Schools have students move from classroom to classroom with different teachers. The same principle applies to learning the basics of SL. That's how it worked in the past, how it works here on the forum, in support groups inworld, etc. Why should the mentors be any different?

There will also be those who may need help beyond a second session. Are we just going to let them slip through the cracks or shouldn't mentors be available for them as well? Most mentors don't use their main accounts for mentoring in the first place. Those who do always regret it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I was welcomed last night by a mentor. She was lovely. I think this is going to work.

I visited the welcome areas as well recently. I think the destinations look pretty well-made and it seems promising to me, too. I saw several mentors at the "Welcome Hub Social Plaza" and one at the" BelliHub" destination (I think it should be at least two). I was greeted upon arrival and offered assistance, if needed. Everyone was very friendly!

• Like 4

I asked the mentors why no one was wearing their mentor tag.  I think they were off their shift, but were still helping newbies.  Also the flow of zero day new arrivals is being routed to the new Welcome Hub region.  There were about 8 avatars with 0 day ages when I was there.  I tried to help one in the MoTown region, but I don't think English was his first language, so I got ok as his only comment back to me.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.