Second Life on Mastodon

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seeing as that one birdy social media site is currently on fire and just outlawed talking about other social media platforms,  lets all try to meet up on Mastodon

Second Life official is there at

https://mastodon.social/@secondlife

Mastodon has a teeny bit of a learning curve. First you need to pick a server (or instance as its called), this will be your local group. You can see and follow and be followed by anyone anywhere on any instance, and you can change instance later if you like. Find an instance from https://joinmastodon.org/servers and pick something that sounds like it matches your interests, you might have to apply and write a little bit about yourself, things are crazy busy with signups and places are trying to keep the bots out.

Once you get all sorted and logged in, enable the advanced UI in preferences and you will get a Tweet deck style web interface. There are a number of apps for both iOS and Android, everyone has their favorite.

To follow someone, anyone, the easiest way is to search for them @username@server .. so to find second life official, search for "@secondlife@mastodon.social"

There is no all powerful algorithm pushing what's popular so to get some reach you need to use hashtags, you can even follow a hashtag like a friend so it all shows up in your feed.

Posts are called Toots. You can edit them after you send them. There are no adverts. The people are all real people. Personally I've been amazed at the number and quality of interactions, it's night & day different from other places and really feels like the old social internet from 2007.

I'm on as

@0xc0ffea@tech.lgbt

If you're on, post your user names :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Omg coffee I saw you post this 😍

I'm on @cherryblossomgirl@tech.lgbt

Mastodon is really really great, it feels like the early Internet, the engagement is some of the best and highest quality on the whole Internet.

Edited by May Bunny
correction
  • Thanks 1

Meh.. looks boring plus all i see "Trending" in it's front page are posts about randoms being banned from Twitter.

That's like taking a divorce and still complaining about your ex everywhere you go,

i don't even like Elon Musk but these losers are pathetic.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I'm on the Mastadon main art server, and post my sketches, in progress paintings, and finished works, but also registered with and use my real name/common online handle so do not want to associate Kat and the real me in RL space. I may join a second Mastadon server with a different account just for this though, if for no other reason than to say hi to @Coffee Pancake :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Had no use for Twitter so I'd have no use for this one either.

Twitter's got its uses, though honestly, I just follow Second Life news here. Grid status update tweets are helpful, but until Second Life completely leaves the bird OR that platform explodes, I'll keep getting my maintenance updates over there or on the server update site page thinggie (I'm tired).

Mastodon seems confusing and takes quite a bit of time to load on desktop.

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You will be able to see messages from people on different servers, pick a server that matches your personal interests .. so maybe find a furry one (there are a few).

You get to see the servers local chatter and can follow specific accounts from any federated server.

@skunky@ohai.social  figured it out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Twitter's got its uses, though honestly, I just follow Second Life news here. Grid status update tweets are helpful, but until Second Life completely leaves the bird OR that platform explodes, I'll keep getting my maintenance updates over there or on the server update site page thinggie (I'm tired).

Mastodon seems confusing and takes quite a bit of time to load on desktop.

It's not confusing at all really. You make an account on a server, you make your bio, you follow people and you use hashtags.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.