Second Life on Mastodon

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, PekeNL said:

So, why are we talking about migrating from one social platform to another social platform, about a social platform we're all on?

Twitter has always been bad because of the mighty algorithm deciding whos posts get to be seen by whom. SL content never did very well when competing against celebrity, sports ball, or culture war fist fights that the mighty algorithm itself generated. It's really gone down the tubes with Elon taking over and the mass migration has started. Yesterday banning people from talking about other social sites (including linktree that is heavily used by the artist community) was the final final straw for many.

Mastodon is similar enough that people feel at home, doesn't have an algorithm, it's all real people reading, boosting and enjoying each others company and content. Personally, I find the interactions night and day different. Twitter was more akin to being in a hostile and abusive relationship. Mastodon .. I'm making friends. ME. FRIENDS.

As to why post about SL on a different social network, why not? Posting about your hobbies is an entirely valid use of social media, doing that on a social network filled with like minded real people might just drag a few of them into the fold too .. and duck knows we need new people in here somehow.

• Like 3

Ok, still on the fence about joining Mastodon.

As it is I'm already spread out on reddit, mewe, facebook, instagram and discord (aside from twitter) ... I have separate rl and metaverse accounts for all except for reddit, which I've made semi anonymous for personal reasons.

If I add Mastodon to this ... idk if I'll merge both my RL and SL/OS personas or open separate accounts. I rather like to keep them separate, even if that's a bit of extra work to maintain.

• Like 3

I thought I had something else to say, but while I was experimenting, this tweet appeared in the "Home" sorting of my timeline, perhaps of interest to SL'rs:

FWIW, I'm personally not at all confident there's any way for anybody to save Twitter at this point, (least of all this dopey grand-unified super-app idea) but that's drifting pretty far from SL-relevance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

FWIW, I'm personally not at all confident there's any way for anybody to save Twitter at this point, (least of all this dopey grand-unified super-app idea) but that's drifting pretty far from SL-relevance.

The grand unified app idea is just ripping off Chinese Weibo, which only works as the grand unified app because everyone HAS to use that app.

Having a diverse social media presence for SL doesn't hurt SL. There should probably be a similar thread here for people to post their insta, flickr or whatever else they are using.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Ok, still on the fence about joining Mastodon.

As it is I'm already spread out on reddit, mewe, facebook, instagram and discord (aside from twitter) ... I have separate rl and metaverse accounts for all except for reddit, which I've made semi anonymous for personal reasons.

If I add Mastodon to this ... idk if I'll merge both my RL and SL/OS personas or open separate accounts. I rather like to keep them separate, even if that's a bit of extra work to maintain.

Someone should make an app that consolidates all these social networks into a single UI..

Posted then I read this..

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The grand unified app idea is just ripping off Chinese Weibo, which only works as the grand unified app because everyone HAS to use that app.

Having a diverse social media presence for SL doesn't hurt SL. There should probably be a similar thread here for people to post their insta, flickr or whatever else they are using.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

FWIW, I'm personally not at all confident there's any way for anybody to save Twitter at this point,..

Why what's wrong with Twitter that needs to be saved? Looks active to me.

All i see is a few american folks getting suspended for doxing or whatever
and then crying about losing their social toy that they payed nothing for.

Oh and Kanye, ahahaha who with his whole "I like Hitler" talk on Alex Jones was
a bit wild but still he shouldn't had been suspended , liking doesn't break any law.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Twitter has always been bad because of the mighty algorithm deciding whos posts get to be seen by whom. SL content never did very well when competing against celebrity, sports ball, or culture war fist fights that the mighty algorithm itself generated. It's really gone down the tubes with Elon taking over and the mass migration has started. Yesterday banning people from talking about other social sites (including linktree that is heavily used by the artist community) was the final final straw for many.

Mastodon is similar enough that people feel at home, doesn't have an algorithm, it's all real people reading, boosting and enjoying each others company and content. Personally, I find the interactions night and day different. Twitter was more akin to being in a hostile and abusive relationship. Mastodon .. I'm making friends. ME. FRIENDS.

As to why post about SL on a different social network, why not? Posting about your hobbies is an entirely valid use of social media, doing that on a social network filled with like minded real people might just drag a few of them into the fold too .. and duck knows we need new people in here somehow.

Mass migration away from twitter is a very dramatic overstatement of what is actually happening.  Mind you , I see nothing wrong with using the platform where you or anyone feels most comfortable, but I don't think mass migration from twitter is a thing...yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Mass migration away from twitter is a very dramatic overstatement of what is actually happening.  Mind you , I see nothing wrong with using the platform where you or anyone feels most comfortable, but I don't think mass migration from twitter is a thing...yet.

Even if it is overstated, is it OK if we laugh at the bad press and Elon's apparently poor decisions, including the resulting stock price drops?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

I never really did much of these kind of apps before.. I'm really just trying to cut down what I already have..

I've been getting rid of so much things that  my email doesn't even ding that much anymore..

At one point I was spread so thin that I couldn't keep track of what I was a member of.. Finally  one day, I just started cutting them all off.. now it's just a handful of places online to where I have breathing room to manage things better..

I might one day when I'm closer to being around the house more and more and less time working, get one of these kinds of apps.. But right now, I'm more concerned about keeping a handle on the footprint i have out there now.. hehehe

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Oh and Kanye, ahahaha who with his whole "I like Hitler" talk on Alex Jones was

a bit wild but still he shouldn't had been suspended , liking doesn't break any law.

Nobody asked or needed to know that you think it's ok for people to like Hitler. But here we are. 

Thanks for that wildly off topic and valuable contribution to this thread that you just typed in all by yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I did create a Mastodon account, but put it on a weird server, and can't figure out how to change that, or how to follow anyone for that matter. There's something I have to enable in the UI, maybe?

Following people from other servers requires you to search for their @username@servername in the web UI, your local instance acts like a bit of a proxy to the wider fediverse.

Moving to another instance is possible but can be somewhat involved 

• Like 2

I made a group FindMeOnMastodon. Not everyone reads the forums.

Here I am on Mastodon.

And since links to Mastodon are banned on Twitter, I made a site within SL on a sim with a somewhat similar name which I link from Twitter and where you can leave your calling card.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mastiphal/39/157/27

Free art work.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Although Weibo is most parallel to Twitter's microblogging functionality, by "super app" I was referring more to WeChat that combines messaging, payments, and a host of e-commerce applications unified under one umbrella app. This was the direction Musk seemed to have in mind with his "X app" ambitions for Twitter. (There are intricately entangle ownerships of these and other applications, which is pretty familiar in Silicon Valley ventures, too.) Anyway, it's a fair point that with everything Chinese ultimately dictated by the state—and moreso every day—app consolidation wasn't necessarily driven by historical market forces. That's something Twitter can't expect.

It probably would be valuable to have some clearinghouse for SL user's engagement in other social applications. I'm having a bitter "Avatars United" aftertaste, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

The dirty little secret of this industry is that there is no existence proof that a responsibly moderated social network can be profitable under any known business model. That's because there's no such "responsibly moderated social network" in existence, profitable or otherwise. It's very possible no such network can ever exist. Sure, I'm a Luddite on this, but I've never seen such a thing operate at scale without scaring the crap out of me.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I never really did much of these kind of apps before.. I'm really just trying to cut down what I already have..

Mhm me neither.

Used to have a Business Facebook account while i was working for a well known telecommunications company and closed it back in 2011 after i left,

only kept Instagram to chat with friends who like posting photos from exotic places they visit, like Polynesia, Reunion island etc.

Twitter and similar meh, never liked it too much boring blah blah blah

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The dirty little secret of this industry is that there is no existence proof that a responsibly moderated social network can be profitable under any known business model. That's because there's no such "responsibly moderated social network" in existence, profitable or otherwise. It's very possible no such network can ever exist. Sure, I'm a Luddite on this, but I've never seen such a thing operate at scale without scaring the crap out of me.

Idk, Elon isn't some wall street nobody, trying to make his first million.

Anyway we will see, the guy is a billionaire, i bet he has something interesting in his mind about Twitter

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I made a group FindMeOnMastodon. Not everyone reads the forums.

Here I am on Mastodon.

And since links to Mastodon are banned on Twitter, I made a site within SL on a sim with a somewhat similar name which I link from Twitter and where you can leave your calling card.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mastiphal/39/157/27

Free art work.

I saw your posts on Mastodon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

...Twitter does not make enough money to survive under its own business model. That's one of the things "wrong with it" that it "needs to be saved".

Mastodon is a different business model. We can talk about Second Life all day and it doesn't matter if nobody makes money.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

...Twitter does not make enough money to survive under its own business model. That's one of the things "wrong with it" that it "needs to be saved".

Mastodon is a different business model. We can talk about Second Life all day and it doesn't matter if nobody makes money.

It is a different business model, it doesn't have one and is mostly run by the guy who created it. Let's see how long that lasts if it ever gets popular. Also the more I read about mastadon , it seems closer to discord than to twitter in the way it works.

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

Yes, only the left has left, really, and a few liberals like me, and as per usual, they placed themselves at the center of the drama. I think @SecondLife which used to call itself "the only self-aware virtual world" just has to go where the people go and spread itself thin.

If people need the Blue Bird of Unhappiness in order to see when the subway is stalled, or because they are in a war zone in Ukraine and can't be bothered with trying to migrate, or if they are in SL and just finished migrating from Flickr when they got rid of adult material unless you went paid -- and now they are just too tired -- well that's fine, I will come back and visit occasionally.

I've also issued this card because it has all become rather tiresome, no?

I think I'd really rather talk to most strangers on the Internet I know in SL, not in other places where they have more opportunity to behave badly.

Unto the Sun.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you read the chat between that really tiresome Lex Fridman who styles himself as a guru and the Space Karen, they admit frankly it loses money at an astonishing rate and only utter dedication and self-impoverishment of rich people could save it.

Not like our lovely virtual boat on the sea of the Internet, hey guys?

How was your Black Friday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

It is a different business model, it doesn't have one and is mostly run by the guy who created it.

No it's not.

Mastodon is a federated network of server instances. Every instance is run by people who want to run an instance. You can run your own just like you could run your own web server.

Most instances have a general theme, eg LGBTQ, technology, gaming, retros stuff, music genres, furrys, etc etc.

When you join an instance, you get access to that instance's internal timeline, that is everything everyone on that instance posts. This is not shown publicly even though the individual posts might be.

There is also the federated timeline, this is all posts from all instances that are linked together. 

When you visit an instance as a unregistered user, you might not see any of the timelines, just a list of federated posts & hashtags that are trending on that server.

Each instance has it's own acceptable content and moderation policies.

Moderation is not shy. If someone is a bad fit for an instance, perhaps because they showed up expecting to behave like this is Twitter or a forum and act out their reply guy troll fantasies, they will be asked to leave and find somewhere else. Moderation extends to blocking entire instances across the entire fediverse. Which works surprisingly well as it's human nature for birds of a feather to flock together. 

As far as funding goes, that works like any other open source project. People can contribute to the platform creators, or chip in with the running costs of their local instance. There are no adverts and no corporate overlords.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.