Second Life on Mastodon

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/28/2022 at 5:29 PM, Paul Hexem said:

That seems like it would heavily encourage people to never experience thoughts or opinions outside of very limited bubbles.

One could always wish, but for me I have heard the same thoughts and opinions repeated non stop hundreds of times and just want to relax for a bit on some sites without the gospel of whatever ideology always popping up as though it were a fresh and new idea.  Mastodon would hardly be the only site I would frequent, there would always be the multitude of others, with their prospective preachers spreading the truth with which they have unwavering faith as they see it.  Still, I am not very interested in joining twitter, mastodon, or any other social media site.  A lot of these thoughts and opinions are just spam at this point for me, there are hardly any fresh ideas, and it is rare that I come across something new and interesting, when I do it usually just becomes part of some new gospel spread by the believers for years.

• Like 1

@lexxikitty@mastodon.lol

I think the server I am on is not an option for people to join. 

I joined a LGBT positive one:

"This instance is friendly towards anti-fascists, members of the LGBTQ+ community, activist movements, hackers, and anyone who doesn't think "free speech" is the only important human right. Anyone is welcome so long as they abide by the rules. This is not a free speech zone, Nazis ***** off.

We do not federate with fascist instances."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with Virtualverse gone I guess I need to expand my community horizons a bit for SL.  So i followed a bunch of people posting their profiles here.  I am:

@Noodles@mastodon.lol

Which also, to some extent helps answer what some people have pointed out, about "Talking about one Social media on a forum centered around a social platform."

It doesn't say anything about Second Life, or these forums, or Twitter or Mastodon.  People use these things for different things.  I'm not going to go into some random group in a whole 3D world and be like "I'm eating a sandwich".  I'm not going to do that in a forum.  I might do that on Mastodon.  Or like this, the previous forum I was regularly visiting up and went kaput, but hey, I still see people here from there, etc. 

The forum here is more of "I want to discuss the community with the community".  Mastodon is more, "I have this thing I want to say and people can listen if they want, or they can ignore it if they want."

I mean, plenty of people don't exclusively use Facebook or Reddit or Twitter or Instagram, or private Forums or SMS or whatever.  Multiple outlets is fine.  Especially when they are all so different.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 4:17 AM, Lexxi Gynoid said:

@lexxikitty@mastodon.lol

I think the server I am on is not an option for people to join. 

I joined a LGBT positive one:

"This instance is friendly towards anti-fascists, members of the LGBTQ+ community, activist movements, hackers, and anyone who doesn't think "free speech" is the only important human right. Anyone is welcome so long as they abide by the rules. This is not a free speech zone, Nazis ***** off.

We do not federate with fascist instances."

Can I get in on this?

@hanheld@mastodon.lol

No profile yet, no friends either but hey -I wanna be where the cool kids (ie people who don't spend their days snorting Musk farts) are!

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Anyone taking an even mildly political stance on Twitter can suddenly find themselves the target of a pile-on, generally led by week-old bots with followers in the single digits. And as someone who is "political" in her SL in-world profile, I can attest that I will occasionally get mugged because of that too (although only by individuals).

You don't have to look for trouble if a significant proportion of the population has decided that you violate their sense of what is "right" or "normal." It will generally find you.

I experienced that on Plurk, and twitter's a lot, lot worse on that score.

That is one of the reasons I never really got into it, well that and the fact it's crap. Knocking on wood that mastadon is better!

• Like 1

I am not the huge socialmedia type of person ...The japanese speaking community loves Twitter 😭 so I have all my friends and family there. So I am probably only coming to mastodon when Twitter sank fully and all the good usernames are already taken like always I will be late x3 

9 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I am not the huge socialmedia type of person ...The japanese speaking community loves Twitter 😭 so I have all my friends and family there. So I am probably only coming to mastodon when Twitter sank fully and all the good usernames are already taken like always I will be late x3 

Can relate; I probably wouldn't be looking very hard at it if it wasn't for the virtualverse vanishing.

• Like 1

My handle on Mastodon is @panterapolnocy@masto.ai - account sits on a general conversations server run by Stux (same person that keeps mstdn.social running), with the artificial intelligence sounding suffix; I'm there partially because a friend of mine created his profile on this instance, with me just following, and partially because I've been interested in AI before it was cool. ;) 

Many (if not majority) people related to Second Life follow its profile there, so it's worth checking the list https://mastodon.social/@secondlife/followers and see if a resident you know is already there.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.