Best Vehicle creators in SL

MissV82

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi friends! 

Awhile back I bought a convertible by Stormcrow. I loved the look of it and The features however the handling is Terrible. The steering is super sensitive I have tried adjusting it to no Avail. It also Crashes out at SIM crossings. 

You are your favoritevehicle creators?? Preferably stores with demos of cars that I could try would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!!

34 minutes ago, MissV82 said:

Hi friends! 

Awhile back I bought a convertible by Stormcrow. I loved the look of it and The features however the handling is Terrible. The steering is super sensitive I have tried adjusting it to no Avail. It also Crashes out at SIM crossings. 

You are your favoritevehicle creators?? Preferably stores with demos of cars that I could try would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!!

777 Motors has vehicles in most of the weekend sales. You can pick up some very nice looking cars extremely cheaply, and they do have demos of their vehicles in store.

[sau]Motorcycles similarly has bikes in the weekend sales.

I am no expert on SL vehicles but these are my favourites due to the price on weekends, and they look really nice, too.

• Like 5

It entirely depends on what you want out of your vehicle. Both Sau and 777 as @Stephanie Misfitmentioned use ACS scripts for their vehicles (IIRC) which are decent for track-racing but nothing I'd bring on a multi-crossing trip across the grid. For land travel, Lusch (and the other NBTI creators) have some very nice vehicles, SZYM's Paladin is very popular (although the lack of cruise control is a deal breaker for me, personally). Manji has some amazing cars that are great fun to drive (but also no cruise control, so I mostly use mine for rallying around in rather than long drives). Anhelo only has two or three vehicles as far as I know, and they're wired very differently to how most land vehicles are (more like driving a boat on land), but next to riding an attached Teegle I've seen nothing so light to cross region borders with - I've gone through successive corners at 100% throttle and made it out alive (unlike many cars which will eject you into the moon if you cross two region borders within 5 seconds of each other at a crawl); but it takes a lot to get used to the controls (at least if you drive a lot of 'conventionally' steered vehicles). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Sumi in Neumogen has some good vehicles. There are several good vehicle builders along Robin Loop from Burns to Neumogen, and they all have demo rezzers. Try something. Drive around Robin Loop. Any good modern vehicle should be able to circle Robin Loop without problems.

• Like 4

Sumi and Manji if you want something low lag and fun but not super realistic in terms of handling.  Sumi also have some fairly quirky vehicles - the Tekken Crawler being my favourite, it's like the front of a motorbike merged with the tracks of a tiny tank O.o

Otherwise I'd also go for anything from the NTBI stable, that being Lusch, GEMC, Zamani, SYZM, Jupiter.  These vehicles are far more realistic than most and drive fantastically - the trade off is a smaller more quirky range - you cant buy a modern Porsche or Ferrari from them as an example.

A factor to consider is also what view you're in when you drive - first-person (mouselook) view or third-person view.  Most cars in SL use ACS scripts, which nowadays actually work pretty decently - some creators who use these scripts take the time to tune them so that the handling is pretty good.  However, this is only for third-person view driving.  The limitation of the those scripts means they still aren't that good for mouselook / first-person view.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

the Tekken Crawler being my favourite, it's like the front of a motorbike merged with the tracks of a tiny tank O.o

I believe it's modelled after the Sd.Kfz. II - a German 'Kettenrad' ('chain bike'). 

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-154-1986-03,_Russ

I also like their Schwimmwagen. Drove the demo all the way down to the northern part of Sansara with four or five people in it without any issues, until we ran into a ban line that chucked us off. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'll be watching this thread with great interest, thank you guys for posting all of this. Especially the bit about the half-tread bike thingy, that's super cool.

Most of my sport driving is on my little scooter I made, but I do like to collect nice vehicles of all kinds, and it's good to have more to go on than my own searching and trying out of things.

Thank you to the OP for making this thread also.

• Like 2

I've attempted driving once. I found it totally impossible. And why are the cars so huge here?

But I enjoy riding my bicycle, which is slow and easy to control. It's relaxing to cycle round the mainland. Not that I ever get time. Sailing is much easier than driving. Even I can manage that.

I tried a motorbike once. Disastrous.

5 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I've attempted driving once. I found it totally impossible. And why are the cars so huge here?

But I enjoy riding my bicycle, which is slow and easy to control. It's relaxing to cycle round the mainland. Not that I ever get time. Sailing is much easier than driving. Even I can manage that.

I tried a motorbike once. Disastrous.

I live in a rp community so driving is a must sometimes. I like my horse so much better than driving though.

16 hours ago, Orwar said:

It entirely depends on what you want out of your vehicle. Both Sau and 777 as @Stephanie Misfitmentioned use ACS scripts for their vehicles (IIRC) which are decent for track-racing but nothing I'd bring on a multi-crossing trip across the grid. For land travel, Lusch (and the other NBTI creators) have some very nice vehicles, SZYM's Paladin is very popular (although the lack of cruise control is a deal breaker for me, personally). Manji has some amazing cars that are great fun to drive (but also no cruise control, so I mostly use mine for rallying around in rather than long drives). Anhelo only has two or three vehicles as far as I know, and they're wired very differently to how most land vehicles are (more like driving a boat on land), but next to riding an attached Teegle I've seen nothing so light to cross region borders with - I've gone through successive corners at 100% throttle and made it out alive (unlike many cars which will eject you into the moon if you cross two region borders within 5 seconds of each other at a crawl); but it takes a lot to get used to the controls (at least if you drive a lot of 'conventionally' steered vehicles). 

Thank you! I live in Cedar Creek so definitely going to be doing alot of driving.

56 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I wish more creators would get away from ACS. Bloated mess of scripts.

I really am not much into vehicles for the driving reasons as I don't enjoy exploring mainland, but still have a few for the decor purposes. I do have a little track in the skies in my region, however.

They (ACS scripted vehicles) are not just bad, they are between bad and unusable. One bike creator sent me a few "ultra slow" versions of ones I bought from him to mitigate the problem. Still far from good, but at least they've stopped to accelerate at worst possible moment. I'd rather have some arcade-ish control, than this.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

I actually think Karyn's bike scripts got worse from version 3 onwards, at least for region crossings.

Simpler is better for region crossings. The scripts ZZBottom uses are very basic but they handle crossings very well - you can find her stuff on marketplace under Humble Worker and Cybersculpts and in freebie vehicle packs.

I have tried to like GEMC vehicles but I find myself needing 30 minutes to read the manual before I can get the vehicle moving and even then I don't think they handle all that well.

I think Arton Rotaru deserves a mention the Quatrelle is my go to car for exploring mainland roads, simple and easy with cruise control and smooth on crossings. Also worth checking the Mudskipper and Mesh Expedition Hard Top.  I know Rubber Bunny's Stolly is also very popular. 

For motorbikes I admit a bias but I love Jayra Magic's bikes, ever since I got my first one 10 years ago or more and Jayra is the loveliest person.

Edited by Aethelwine

7 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I wish more creators would get away from ACS. Bloated mess of scripts.

I made a lot of different things before settling on my little black scooter, and they all just used the same free vehicle script I found on the forums or wiki somewhere. I had to meddle with it some to get the 5 speeds I wanted to scale right, but whatever.

I did notice a tendency for vehicles to hang up on objects, but I fixed that pretty easily by adding an invisible ramp/bubble to the underside of the vehicle, and making sure the root prim was wide enough to make a proper "sled".

I don't think scripters set out to make big piles of stuff for people to have to deal with, I think it grows organically as they get deeper into a project and add more stuff for their own use/enjoyment. The only problem is that it's like inventing your own language, and anyone who wants to deal with the resulting mass of (probably really useful and fun once you get to know it) scripts has to learn the same language. A creator gets familiar with it all while they're creating it, but everyone else is kind of in the dark and needs tutorials, etc., etc., and it all ends up seeming like more work than fun.

I'd always just rather keep it simple, but I get why simple stuff becomes bloaty-complicated. I think if it's all done in a modular fashion it's probably best, because at least it's more organized than the piles of spaghetti even I've  been guilty of making out of simple ideas.

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I can't tell you where to get this one, because that's against the forum rules.

No it's not. If it was we wouldn't blah blah blah about Lelutka, Maitreya, Legacy, Catwa, Kahlene, Cupra etc all the time. Say it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For Arduenn to tell you is not allowed,  but I can tell you its from The Black Forest store on MP ;) 

Some vehicle makers write their own scripts, and use maths to calculate turning arcs and proper wheel rotation. But I can't tell you where from :) 

Edited by Atomic Infinity
details
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.