Talking about movies reminds me that I started watching "Idiocracy" last year, but had to stop after the first 40 minutes because it was reminding me too much of the state of the world now, never mind in 2050. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeeeeve: My PSU died. It's not even been 4 years, but the brand is dubious and why on Earth does it need RGB lighting?! No wonder it gave up on me.

The good news - I have access to a new laptop and all my main peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor) to make working and gaming on the dang thing tolerable until I can grab a replacement (or upgrade, in this case). 

The bad news - I hate fiddling with and replacing parts! If I swap this thing out without breaking everything else in the process and get things working again, I'm going to celebrate with the booziest of mudslides.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
I can't tell tiiiime
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Peeeeeve: My PSU died. It's not even been 4 years, but the brand is dubious and why on Earth does it need RGB lighting?! No wonder it gave up on me.

The good news - I have access to a new laptop and all my main peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor) to make working and gaming on the dang thing tolerable until I can grab a replacement (or upgrade, in this case). 

The bad news - I hate fiddling with and replacing parts! If I swap this thing out without breaking everything else in the process and get things working again, I'm going to celebrate with the booziest of mudslides.

At least there's basically nothing connected to a PSU these days :P I know some people have complicated lighting setups in their computers these days though.

The demise of hard drives, optical drives etc makes PC's very, very empty inside... of course the rise of cable management since everything must be pretty probably makes PSU replacement more of a pain.

• Like 2

Peeve: why do Oral B's UK electric toothbrushes come with 2-point charge plugs? 😫 I lost my 3-point adaptor on my Easter holiday, so had to buy a new one online...😕 I hope the CEO of Oral B's duvet cover gets tangled up in the dryer and it takes ages to sort it out 👎

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

At least there's basically nothing connected to a PSU these days :P I know some people have complicated lighting setups in their computers these days though.

The demise of hard drives, optical drives etc makes PC's very, very empty inside... of course the rise of cable management since everything must be pretty probably makes PSU replacement more of a pain.

I didn't even know the thing had lights - that's how many lights are in this stupid rig, LOL. Also, all of my order documentation claims I have a 650W Gold Plus. I opened the thing up for the first time yesterday - it's a 750W PB (Premium Basic, I love that) - fully modular. Oh, thanks for the upgrade, I guess, lmao. 

But yes, despite using decent brands for everything else, they cheaped it out and went with an InWin 750W - and not only does it have RGB lighting and two switches for such nonsense to sync with the motherboard, but it's got its own independent hibernation mode to shut things off when usage falls below 20%. Well, how much you wanna bet that's what went belly up?

The exact issue I've been having - putting my PC into sleep mode at night and in the morning, it refuses to wake up. Refuses SO HARD that even after unplugging and toggling the PSU switch and replugging and pressing the power button, it would NOT wake itself. So hard that when it did finally bounce back from that state hours later (the first time it happened) when I tried the power button again for yolos, it went straight back to the desktop and didn't even do a reboot. We're talking Yogi Bear-style hibernation here, lol. That thing was knocked OUT.

A few times after that, waking it up could only happen with the power button (mouse or keyboard would normally do the trick, and no settings were changed), and then finally yesterday, it gave up entirely. Nothing I did would get a response. Looking around online, most seem to agree that's a failed PSU. The RGB keyboard lights up when I plug that in but NOTHING else happens, so it's likely just out of juice. I did some digging on Amazon and elsewhere and saw others complaining their InWins died within a year, so I guess I'm lucky it worked THIS long, lmao. I'll replace it with a Corsair 750W, I suppose.

And yeah, you're right - not much to plug in and worry about it seems. I just hate messing with cable management. Everything's so nice and tidy in there right now! They really did a great job with the build. Shame they picked such a weird PSU. PeeEEEEveee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I didn't even know the thing had lights - that's how many lights are in this stupid rig, LOL. Also, all of my order documentation claims I have a 650W Gold Plus. I opened the thing up for the first time yesterday - it's a 750W PB (Premium Basic, I love that) - fully modular. Oh, thanks for the upgrade, I guess, lmao. 

But yes, despite using decent brands for everything else, they cheaped it out and went with an InWin 750W - and not only does it have RGB lighting and two switches for such nonsense to sync with the motherboard, but it's got its own independent hibernation mode to shut things off when usage falls below 20%. Well, how much you wanna bet that's what went belly up?

The exact issue I've been having - putting my PC into sleep mode at night and in the morning, it refuses to wake up. Refuses SO HARD that even after unplugging and toggling the PSU switch and replugging and pressing the power button, it would NOT wake itself. So hard that when it did finally bounce back from that state hours later (the first time it happened) when I tried the power button again for yolos, it went straight back to the desktop and didn't even do a reboot. We're talking Yogi Bear-style hibernation here, lol. That thing was knocked OUT.

A few times after that, waking it up could only happen with the power button (mouse or keyboard would normally do the trick, and no settings were changed), and then finally yesterday, it gave up entirely. Nothing I did would get a response. Looking around online, most seem to agree that's a failed PSU. The RGB keyboard lights up when I plug that in but NOTHING else happens, so it's likely just out of juice. I did some digging on Amazon and elsewhere and saw others complaining their InWins died within a year, so I guess I'm lucky it worked THIS long, lmao. I'll replace it with a Corsair 750W, I suppose.

And yeah, you're right - not much to plug in and worry about it seems. I just hate messing with cable management. Everything's so nice and tidy in there right now! They really did a great job with the build. Shame they picked such a weird PSU. PeeEEEEveee.

Honestly I've never really bothered with Hibernate or Suspend on any computer, even back when I used Windows.

PC stays on with a screensaver running after a time (with a password lock) and the whole thing gets a full power cycle once every one to two weeks unless an update comes in that requires a power cycle (a restart if going by the package manager but I just do a power cycle to be safe) - this only happens for major updates/kernel upgrades.

But yeah, sounds like they really cheaped out on your PSU.

The only RGB components in my own setup are on the fans, small segments of the motherboard itself and my little 'gamer' keypad on the desk. That's all my 'little' Horus needs (yes, I named my tower).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Peeve: Grammar Nazis. 

You know, you'd communicate a lot better if you posted in complete sentences. Can I suggest that you add a verb and an object?

BUT of course, I entirely agree with you!!! 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Honestly I've never really bothered with Hibernate or Suspend on any computer, even back when I used Windows.

PC stays on with a screensaver running after a time (with a password lock) and the whole thing gets a full power cycle once every one to two weeks unless an update comes in that requires a power cycle (a restart if going by the package manager but I just do a power cycle to be safe) - this only happens for major updates/kernel upgrades.

But yeah, sounds like they really cheaped out on your PSU.

The only RGB components in my own setup are on the fans, small segments of the motherboard itself and my little 'gamer' keypad on the desk. That's all my 'little' Horus needs (yes, I named my tower).

Yeah, that's smart, actually. I always go back and forth with how to handle NOT using my PC, since I use the dang thing hours and hours and hours per day. Is sleep better, should I hibernate, is it bad to turn it on/off daily, how should I configure the timers, etc. I usually get a good 7-9 years out of my PCs before I need to even worry about big upgrades, so I don't know why I panic so much, but you know - I try to keep things functioning for as long as possible, so I think about these things way too hard!

I settled on just putting it to Sleep most nights and doing full shutdowns when I allow Windows Updates to run, but recently, I did have a few instances where it woke itself up in the middle of the night for no reason (checked the logs - reason unknown), which is really obnoxious in a pitch black room. Christmas tree of a PC, lol. Little did I know, though, that was likely the start of the problem. 

I bought this PC in 2020, so I'd expect a minor part failure or glitch by now - definitely NOT the PSU! Normally, I'd do my best to customize, but it was a pre-built Black Friday deal with a fantastic price dropped in the middle of the night (this was back when GPUs were impossible to snag because of Covid and shenanigans and it came with a 3070), sooooo...yeah!

It's a shame the company went with that brand, but perhaps stock was just weird, given the pandemic and the fact that I wound up with a higher-than-stated wattage. But come on, InWin - When your product fails years and years before some basic, budget, no frills, proprietary HP or Dell PSU, that's not the beeeest sign!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, that's smart, actually. I always go back and forth with how to handle NOT using my PC, since I use the dang thing hours and hours and hours per day. Is sleep better, should I hibernate, is it bad to turn it on/off daily, how should I configure the timers, etc. I usually get a good 7-9 years out of my PCs before I need to even worry about big upgrades, so I don't know why I panic so much, but you know - I try to keep things functioning for as long as possible, so I think about these things way too hard!

I settled on just putting it to Sleep most nights and doing full shutdowns when I allow Windows Updates to run, but recently, I did have a few instances where it woke itself up in the middle of the night for no reason (checked the logs - reason unknown), which is really obnoxious in a pitch black room. Christmas tree of a PC, lol. Little did I know, though, that was likely the start of the problem. 

I bought this PC in 2020, so I'd expect a minor part failure or glitch by now - definitely NOT the PSU! Normally, I'd do my best to customize, but it was a pre-built Black Friday deal with a fantastic price dropped in the middle of the night (this was back when GPUs were impossible to snag because of Covid and shenanigans and it came with a 3070), sooooo...yeah!

It's a shame the company went with that brand, but perhaps stock was just weird, given the pandemic and the fact that I wound up with a higher-than-stated wattage. But come on, InWin - When your product fails years and years before some basic, budget, no frills, proprietary HP or Dell PSU, that's not the beeeest sign!

Since getting him as a 2019 Christmas present, Horus here has only really had minimal work done as well: Expanded the RAM to 32GB and only recently replaced the internal HDD with a 'proper' 3.5", 7200RPM 2TB unit (used Clonezilla to ensure the data was copied exactly - including the drive identifiers, so a literal clone job).

I'll eventually need to - when I can afford to do so for each component - replace the GPU (running a 980 TI), then the CPU (Ryzen 7 2700X) and motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming) and finally the OS SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Since getting him as a 2019 Christmas present, Horus here has only really had minimal work done as well: Expanded the RAM to 32GB and only recently replaced the internal HDD with a 'proper' 3.5", 7200RPM 2TB unit (used Clonezilla to ensure the data was copied exactly - including the drive identifiers, so a literal clone job).

I'll eventually need to - when I can afford to do so for each component - replace the GPU (running a 980 TI), then the CPU (Ryzen 7 2700X) and motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming) and finally the OS SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO).

Ooof, the one thing I hate doing - manual upgrades, lol. RAM and hard drives are usually no biggie, though I'm still not looking forward to it this time around because my current mobo is tiny - micro ATX, ew. I knew that going in, but STILL. The price was too good to ignore. Big sigh.

I actually bought this setup with the full intention of handling all the upgrading myself instead of just trashing it and buying a new PC years from now, but some things are more daunting than others. Not looking forward to future CPU and/or motherboard replacements, ugh...might not even do it honestly LOL. Those things I never actually touch. Drives, RAM, GPU, and now PSU - sure.

49 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ooof, the one thing I hate doing - manual upgrades, lol. RAM and hard drives are usually no biggie, though I'm still not looking forward to it this time around because my current mobo is tiny - micro ATX, ew. I knew that going in, but STILL. The price was too good to ignore. Big sigh.

I actually bought this setup with the full intention of handling all the upgrading myself instead of just trashing it and buying a new PC years from now, but some things are more daunting than others. Not looking forward to future CPU and/or motherboard replacements, ugh...might not even do it honestly LOL. Those things I never actually touch. Drives, RAM, GPU, and now PSU - sure.

I'm lucky enough to live 'close' to a Micro Center so .... When the time comes to do the motherboard and CPU - possibly even the PSU as I don't want to mess with the cables - I'll just take it up there, buy the parts and have them do the installs.

It's the application of the thermal paste and the dread of damaging the CPU pins that prevents me doing it myself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

I'm lucky enough to live 'close' to a Micro Center so .... When the time comes to do the motherboard and CPU - possibly even the PSU as I don't want to mess with the cables - I'll just take it up there, buy the parts and have them do the installs.

It's the application of the thermal paste and the dread of damaging the CPU pins that prevents me doing it myself.

Iiiiii, didn't even think about that. I've got one local, too! 👀

I don't really want to haul this thing way over there, though, so I'll try the PSU swap myself first. Great tip about the CPU and motherboard, though!

And yes, I have read so many horror stories about people destroying their brand new CPUs (and motherboards) before they even got them situated in the build, LOL. That kind of thing is way too finicky for me. I'm good for messing with screws and plugging stuff in - don't give me anything delicate to do, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Peeve: why do Oral B's UK electric toothbrushes come with 2-point charge plugs? 

They are for shaver sockets in bathrooms though i've never seen one of these sockets outside of a hotel/holiday accommodation bathroom 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:51 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

If it makes you feel better, I've heard some very serious Fallout fans praising the show. They say they absolutely nailed the aesthetic of the vault designs and the wasteland and the music is perfect and all that. That makes sense, considering Todd Howard (Bethesda's director) is one of the executive producers.

They're calling it the best video game adaptation to date, though, so that's definitely something. I thought TLOU was fantastic (never played that one myself, but I did watch complete playthroughs of both 1 and 2), and they did an amazing job with that, so I'm kind of pumped to see this! 

I'm just peeved I'm so dang squeamish. That's what keeps me from playing all of these great games in the first place!

I am a long-time Fallout gamer, and it really does capture so much of the game, it is great from a fan's perspective. Lots of little moments that only fans of the game will appreciate. The violence is pretty extreme though.

• Like 2

Replacing a motherboard?  Hmmm.  I am still using a motherboard from 2002, from EPOX, that long went out of business.  It's been in constant service since then and is rock solid.  

About 15 years ago I did replace every single electrolytic capacitor on the board  - because they had used some cheap capacitors from China that all failed after a few years. (There were massive recalls of MB's made by quality manufacturers who didn't know the Chinese had tried to copy the chemicals and process used by Japanese cap makers, and got they got the formula wrong.)   

There were about 50 caps to unsolder, clean out the thru hole on the multi layer board, and replace each with military grade hiQ Panasonics, with the proper soldering flux and tools.  Every joint was shiny and solid, and the MB worked the first time with the new caps.  They were cheap when ordered from Newark, cost about $40, for the exact or higher value replacements. And a little labor of course :)

But I did have about 60 years of soldering and building experience before that.  So not recommenced as your first DIY project. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You know, you'd communicate a lot better if you posted in complete sentences. Can I suggest that you add a verb and an object?

BUT of course, I entirely agree with you!!! 😉

You wonder if you can, then you do. So, the answer is "yes".

If you actually meant "May I", you still did... and before receiving permission.

What hellish kind of Canadian are you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you actually meant "May I", you still did... and before receiving permission.

That's "Teacher 101" if someone asks to the go the bathroom!  And Scylla is a teacher!!

(IIRC, you were home-schooled but you'd know that from pop-culture references.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You wonder if you can, then you do. So, the answer is "yes".

What hellish kind of Canadian are you?

That's not the worst part!

I started a sentence with a conjunction!!!!! EEEEK!

BUT of course, I entirely agree with you!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's not the worst part!

I started a sentence with a conjunction!!!!! EEEEK!

BUT of course, I entirely agree with you!!!

Probably best to say you were drunk or something!

Can't say it was someone else using your account, that's against the TOS!