49 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

LOL, you make it sound like a Mother bear has the same reasoning as a human.  Perhaps the Mother bear knew that there wouldn't be a danger to the cubs where she placed them due to, oh I don't know...instinct?

Yep. It's what they do. 

They stick em in trees. It's best to leave them alone or call for help if they're in obvious distress. Selfie interventions not required.

"In the vast majority of situations, when a mother bear perceives a threat — whether that's a barking dog, people in the area, or otherwise — she will often "tree" her cubs. Black bear cubs are adept climbers from a very young age, scampering high into tree tops to await guidance from their mother on when it's safe to come down."

Speaking of which...

Peeve: Selfies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A pet peeve about my pet: I am stressed out about taking Turbo to his yearly vet appointment tomorrow!

Just little things, like getting him into the car, driving the 8 blocks, getting him out of the car so the vet can examine him on a grassy area without stressing HIM out too much.  In the heat.

IMG_3008.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 4

For some reason I cannot change the font or size of my text here today.  I do it to make my own text easier to read and thus edit (as my eyesight is deteriorating naturally) but without these options I have to keep zooming in and out, which is a pain.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yep. It's what they do. 

They stick em in trees. It's best to leave them alone or call for help if they're in obvious distress. Selfie interventions not required.

"In the vast majority of situations, when a mother bear perceives a threat — whether that's a barking dog, people in the area, or otherwise — she will often "tree" her cubs. Black bear cubs are adept climbers from a very young age, scampering high into tree tops to await guidance from their mother on when it's safe to come down."

Speaking of which...

Peeve: Selfies.

OMG I watched that video. I was just waiting for the part where Mamma shows up to hand everyone there, their Darwin Award.

Cubs in a tree is a sign that it's time to go back the same way you came. Coming across cubs in general out in the wild, will tighten up your butt star real fast, if you know better.. hehehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: ageism for the sake of attention.

A lot of older people rock!! \o/

There are so many that I could just sit there all day listening to them talk about their experiences.. Many have been very grounding for me..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A lot of older people rock!! \o/

There are so many that I could just sit there all day listening to them talk about their experiences.. Many have been very grounding for me..

Peeve: What's odd for me personally is, I did not gain a healthy respect for, and understanding of older folks until I started attending an accepting church and connecting with a lot of different people. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

OMG I watched that video. I was just waiting for the part where Mamma shows up to hand everyone there, their Darwin Award.

Serrrriouslyyyy. Super disappointed she didn't. Though to be fair, I think that's more of a grizzly trait. Black bears are a bit more skittish (lucky for everyone, because they seem to be very common if you live up in the mountains/near woods) and can be frightened away.

I absolutely love the video I saw months ago of a guy relaxing on his porch, a black bear rolling up next to him without seeing him there, guy looks over and freezes, the bear looks back and freezes, and then it runs away, LOL.

Oh here, lol

I assume that's a LOT better than having an alligator rolling into your front yard, like living down there in Florida. 

Peeve: I don't have anything exciting up here where I am. Just a woodpecker doing renovations on occasion, some big crows, and the occasional stray cat. 😂 My friend has vultures, black bears, the cutest frogs, little snakes, etc. where he's at in PA. Jelly.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Serrrriouslyyyy. Super disappointed she didn't. Though to be fair, I think that's more of a grizzly trait. Black bears are a bit more skittish (lucky for everyone, because they seem to be very common if you live up in the mountains/near woods) and can be frightened away.

I absolutely love the video I saw months ago of a guy relaxing on his porch, a black bear rolling up next to him without seeing him there, guy looks over and freezes, the bear looks back and freezes, and then it runs away, LOL.

Oh here, lol

I assume that's a LOT better than having an alligator rolling into your front yard, like living down there in Florida. 

Peeve: I don't have anything exciting up here where I am. Just a woodpecker doing renovations on occasion, some big crows, and the occasional stray cat. 😂 My friend has vultures, black bears, the cutest frogs, little snakes, etc. where he's at in PA. Jelly.

He was just looking for a pic-a-nic basket!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: What's odd for me personally is, I did not gain a healthy respect for, and understanding of older folks until I started attending an accepting church and connecting with a lot of different people. 

There is one man that really stands out to me around here that I just ran into one day, because I always seen him.. I can't remember how old he was when I met him, but he was in world war two. I said hi to him one day and he waved and said hello back to me.. We just started to converse and then kind of ended up by his truck talking..

What he was doing at the time was going around and cutting and taking care of all the lawns of widows of world war two veterans..I was just amazed at that in itself..

We talked for a good 30 minutes.. I came to find out from from someone else, because a lot of people knew of him. That he had been captured by the Japanese back in world war two and was held for like two years as a prisoner of war..

Just thinking of what all he went through that I had learned about as well as found out later from just reading on it more, just how traumatizing that  would have been..

What really amazed me is just how sweet and nice of a man he was and how interesting he was to talk to.. I never even thought of something like that happening to him.. Then learning about it later, I just had this huge amount of respect for him..

He was very humbling for me..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh here, lol

You have to watch out  for them though.. Because if they keep coming at you, it usually means they are sizing you up as a meal..

We have black bear here and they usually just scatter, especially if you're riding.. But had a time or two that I had to pop off a round into the ground to back them off..

they didn't get really close or anything like that, but they were coming..

If they were sizing me up or not, I wasn't sure, but I wasn't about to find out either.. hehehe

I'm more worried about the cats than the bears though..They are more fearless..

• Like 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Because if they keep coming at you, it usually means they are sizing you up as a meal..

Peeve: The latest trend of "Bear Horror/Comedy" movies is crazy:  "Cocaine Bear", and "Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey"..lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: The latest trend of "Bear Horror/Comedy" movies is crazy:  "Cocaine Bear", and "Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey"..lol

I seen the trailer for the Cocaine bear.. I just had to look it up.. It's glazed with a touch of a true story.. like the bear finding the cocaine and eating it, end of true story.. lol <--- Not laughing about the bear, just the Hollywood desperation..

I don't think I heard of the Winnie the pooh one though.. I'm gonna have to look that one up.. hehehe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You have to watch out  for them though.. Because if they keep coming at you, it usually means they are sizing you up as a meal..

We have black bear here and they usually just scatter, especially if you're riding.. But had a time or two that I had to pop off a round into the ground to back them off..

they didn't get really close or anything like that, but they were coming..

If they were sizing me up or not, I wasn't sure, but I wasn't about to find out either.. hehehe

I'm more worried about the cats than the bears though..They are more fearless..

Oh, I definitely believe that. It all really depends on how safe/threatened they feel and how hungry/desperate they are. Definitely do not recommend getting anywhere near the finding out phase.

Cats, on the other hand, are just terrifying. If one of those is close enough for me to see it, I'd assume I'm probably not gonna make it. RIP.

I love wildlife from a very safe distance. I'm not about to get up close and personal with any of that stuff without a trained professional by my side (despite how often I joke that my friend should run outside and pet one of the bears, lol - they're so fluffy!).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, I definitely believe that. It all really depends on how safe/threatened they feel and how hungry/desperate they are. Definitely do not recommend getting anywhere near the finding out phase.

Cats, on the other hand, are just terrifying. If one of those is close enough for me to see it, I'd assume I'm probably not gonna make it. RIP.

I love wildlife from a very safe distance. I'm not about to get up close and personal with any of that stuff without a trained professional by my side (despite how often I joke that my friend should run outside and pet one of the bears, lol - they're so fluffy!).

I wonder if there is a statistic on selfie deaths.. I just think, how many would have made it this far if they just had a camera instead.. hehehe

• Haha 2

Peeve: The Lab Gab released today, which has a focus on the new Mobile app, has several categories of answers to questions:

"Mayyyyybeeeee.."

"A definite maybe."

"We have no plans currently.."

"That's really hard.."

"Yes!"

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A pet peeve about my pet: I am stressed out about taking Turbo to his yearly vet appointment tomorrow!

Just little things, like getting him into the car, driving the 8 blocks, getting him out of the car so the vet can examine him on a grassy area without stressing HIM out too much.  In the heat.

IMG_3008.jpeg

Update: the vet examined him in the car. It went well, although he was a big baby. The vet really only had good things to say!

• Like 5