3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Probably best to say you were drunk or something!

Can't say it was someone else using your account, that's against the TOS!

Even grammar nazis have off days!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's not the worst part!

I started a sentence with a conjunction!!!!! EEEEK!

My participles dangle at times.  I've also been known to end a sentence with a preposition.  While that's not technically incorrect, my advanced grammar teacher would throw a fit.  She was old school.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My participles dangle at times.  I've also been known to end a sentence with a preposition.  While that's not technically incorrect, my advanced grammar teacher would throw a fit.  She was old school.

Yeah, I'm definitely not "old school."

Language is a living thing, not a desiccated corpse entombed in a dictionary or grammar text. Most of the words, idioms, and constructions we now consider "proper" were, at one time, themselves neologisms or "hip slang" (those damned Elizabethans!).

It's partially about context: the expectations around the language expected from a formal piece of writing (as for instance an academic paper or a university analytical essay) are different from those associated with informal writing or speech. I'll correct an error in a paper from a student, but I honestly can't imagine correcting someone's speech unless they've made a really egregious error.

And it's about changing rules over time. Many of our older ones were artificially introduced into the language in the 18th and 19th centuries, as academics attempted to regularize the language, and some actually make no sense. To take an example, the rule about split infinitives ("to boldly go" is bad, "to go boldly" is correct) is founded upon a nonsensical parallel with Latin, in which infinitives are a single word ("ire" = "to go") which of course you can't split. So, by a rather idiotic extension, one shouldn't split "to" from "go" by inserting an adverb because in Latin they are a single unit. It's dumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's partially about context: the expectations around the language expected from a formal piece of writing (as for instance an academic paper or a university analytical essay) are different from those associated with informal writing or speech. I'll correct an error in a paper from a student, but I honestly can't imagine correcting someone's speech unless they've made a really egregious error.

Peeve: Sorry for the double-post, but context and expectations really apply in "Real World" writing, when you read something and expect it to be professional (for example, a "news story") but it appears to be unedited completely.  A major difference between a "blog" and a "news site", for example, can be whether the quality of writing meets your expectations for the site.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Sorry for the double-post, but context and expectations really apply in "Real World" writing, when you read something and expect it to be professional (for example, a "news story") but it appears to be unedited completely.  A major difference between a "blog" and a "news site", for example, can be whether the quality of writing meets your expectations for the site.

Absolutely.

One of the exercises I have designed for my students involves them finding an online source for an essay that is not peer reviewed. The exercise asks them to evaluate the worth and trustworthiness of the piece (usually a blog post or something similar), and one of the criterion I've directed them to use is the quality and correctness of the language.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: My clothes in SL only half-rezzing. The past few days if I put a clothing item on, only the back half of it shows up. I have to click edit to get the remainder of the pieces to become visible.  I shudder to imagine what is showing up on other people's screens when my clothes do this.

FWIW, I'm on Firestorm, so I have no clue if this is an SL issue or an FS issue. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Peeve: My clothes in SL only half-rezzing. The past few days if I put a clothing item on, only the back half of it shows up. I have to click edit to get the remainder of the pieces to become visible.  I shudder to imagine what is showing up on other people's screens when my clothes do this.

Haven't noticed anything such on my end (also using Firestorm), it seems oddly specific that only the back part of clothes rez though, um, it'd probably not be a good thing to ask for pictures of what you mean if your avi is too exposed though.

But it sounds like it must be a local issue, I think? So you probably don't have to worry about how your avi is rezzed to others (speaking of - do other avies have the same issues on your end?). Also, BoM underwear for bulletproof* no-bits-flashiness. *Not tested against actual bullets. No guarantees. No money back.

• Like 2

We all change our ways of speaking and writing from one context to another.  It's natural. If we didn't, we'd look like buffoons or elitist twats. The thing is, though, being a buffoon or a ***** should be on your shoulders, not something that anyone else needs to point out.

I've never liked the term "grammar Nazi", but I can recognize one when I see her (or him -- let's be fair). The GN is one who is overly sensitive to mismatched contexts. She calls out someone for using street language in a garden party, or makes fun of someone talking like an egghead on the basketball court. She may be right in either case but overlooks the fact that being a pedant is socially boorish and just makes her look like the worse fool. Teachers and mothers get special dispensation to be Nazis at times, but anyone else is on dangerous ground.

I look at "correctness" in language the way I look at table manners. When my kids were young, I taught them to sit up at dinner and keep their elbows off the table. "But .. but.. but we're at home!  Who cares?" I do, because I want you to know how to code switch gracefully so you don't embarrass yourself later at a job interview or when you are at dinner receiving the Nobel Prize. You learn the "rules" that work in different contexts, so you don't end up looking like a buffoon or a *****. On the other hand, if the King of Sweden puts his elbows on the table at the Nobel dinner, don't be the "Table Manners Nazi" who calls him out. 

Edit:  Ooo!  Lookit!  The editing censor bleeped out one of my words (but not always).  There's a GN at work. ;)

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Absolutely.

One of the exercises I have designed for my students involves them finding an online source for an essay that is not peer reviewed. The exercise asks them to evaluate the worth and trustworthiness of the piece (usually a blog post or something similar), and one of the criterion I've directed them to use is the quality and correctness of the language.

Should an essay not be dependent on whether is authored by a Science Major {if appropriate topic)rather that an English Major? I get leery if it is written too well and suspicious of the quality of the science behind it if there is too much focus on how well it is written.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

FWIW, I'm on Firestorm, so I have no clue if this is an SL issue or an FS issue. 

I was noticing this too today when I was trying out Blueberry clothes I had just purchased. It did eventually all rezz but there was a definite lag between the front half and the rear. I was in my apartment so no biggie but yes, could see it being a problem in a public place if it continues.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Should an essay not be dependent on whether is authored by a Science Major {if appropriate topic)rather that an English Major? I get leery if it is written too well and suspicious of the quality of the science behind it if there is too much focus on how well it is written.

It's not so much a question of how well written it is, so much as, is it riddle with errors such as spelling mistakes, missing punctuation, and so forth. In other words, the criterion is not "eloquence," but rather just plain professionalism. A piece that has been poorly edited is more likely to have been poorly conceived and produced.

And, I should point out, that's merely one of the criterion. Other include citation and references, use of evidence, etc.

In addition to which . . . I teach English students! (Although I get a number of science students in my first year course too.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: Went to the trouble of setting up, testing, verifying a direct payment to a new credit union.  Called and asked how to setup recurring payments, was told "use this entirely different payment system over HERE".  (Wasted time.)

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's not so much a question of how well written it is, so much as, is it riddle with errors such as spelling mistakes, missing punctuation, and so forth. In other words, the criterion is not "eloquence," but rather just plain professionalism. A piece that has been poorly edited is more likely to have been poorly conceived and produced.

And, I should point out, that's merely one of the criterion. Other include citation and references, use of evidence, etc.

In addition to which . . . I teach English students! (Although I get a number of science students in my first year course too.)

Sure, spelling and punctuation could at least be correct especially since we at least have spell checkers and google docs ai seems to suggest punctuation the last time I used it, but getting penalized for something ("to boldly go" is bad, "to go boldly") would be eyerolling especially to someone who has heard the former but not realized it was how it was stated on Star Trek. There are other instances where even English teachers change the language willy nilly on some pretext that makes it dubious as to what the proper form actually is.

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There are other instances where even English teachers change the language willy nilly on some pretext that makes it dubious as to what the proper form actually is.

That's because you are on the Enemies List that we all secretly circulate among ourselves, silly!

English teachers come in all shapes and sizes; there are those who are arbitrary, and those who are not. And there are some who are not very good at what they do, just as there are others who are excellent.

In general, though, I think teachers are less likely to flip out about things like split infinitives these days than they once were. Our focus tends not to be on grammar and "correct form," so much as upon communication. Are you making your point as effectively as you might?

• Like 1

Don't anyone go correcting my English on this here forum, now. I break English rules daily. Here. Look. Breaking 'em right now. *snap* Here I go. *rules broken* Better yet - rules done been broken. Don't @t me. 

No but seriously, I'm very casual and lax about this stuff in regular online discussions. Rest assured, I do know how to write properly and will agonize over a comma when nobody's looking.

Don't mind me. I'm just calling my own self out because I felt attacked. ATTACKED I SAY! 😂 Peeve!

• Like 1

Oh, I really can't resist this ... hehehe.....

46 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's not so much a question of how well written it is, so much as, is it riddled with errors such as spelling mistakes, missing punctuation, and so forth. In other words, the criterion is not "eloquence," but rather just plain professionalism. A piece that has been poorly edited is more likely to have been poorly conceived and produced.

And, I should point out, that's merely one of the criterion criteria . Others include citation and references, use of evidence, etc.

No, no.... I am not a Grammar Nazi.  Just a fun-loving nit-picker.  You left the door open.  I just walked in.  😂

46 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In addition to which . . . I teach English students!

I'll see myself out. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
OK, I made a typo too. Shoot me.
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, I really can't resist this ... hehehe.....

No, no.... I am not a Grammar Nazi.  Just a fun-loving nit-picker.  You left the door open.  I just walked in.  😂

I'll see myself out. 

It's a fair cop.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's because you are on the Enemies List that we all secretly circulate among ourselves, silly!

Oh good, I was afraid it was my paranoia coming up again. Happy to hear I am on the list!

English teachers come in all shapes and sizes; there are those who are arbitrary, and those who are not. And there are some who are not very good at what they do, just as there are others who are excellent.

I've had them all, especially the arbitrary ones. One passed me solely based on my translation of some awful poem and one failed me because I thought "Wuthering Heights" would have been more aptly called "Withering Heights" as it was depressing and sucked that bad. Guess I shouldn't have verbalized that.

In general, though, I think teachers are less likely to flip out about things like split infinitives these days than they once were. Our focus tends not to be on grammar and "correct form," so much as upon communication. Are you making your point as effectively as you might?

My experience was that it all depends on whether they think a student is trying. At least one seemed incapable of adding my test scores and exam to calculate I had a passing grade. So wasn't so good at math. Maybe the fumes from the bottles of wine my friends and I regularly shared at lunch before his class, made it him a little woozy. Wasn't my fault he insisted I take the seat right in front of his desk!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

With elbows at sides to unobtrusively poke miscreants for alleged infractions?

• Haha 2