What would you delete?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I was told I was going to die. Or that I might die? Or that the chances were 60/40 that I would not exit the hospital in a gown, but a body bag? Regardless, I had time to set my earthly affairs in order which included all my Sl accounts. I nuked Alma Palmira, and Lucy Rust (or at least I thought I did? I pressed the delete account button but discovered today that they are still alive and kicking? anyway I killed them again.) Before leaving for the hospital in April I cleaned my original vanettda lassard to the bone. no pictures no textures (years of hedonistic discovery before I moved on from that particular SL stage) no clothes except my mesh body parts, hair and what ever I was wearing at the time, and anything that was just hanging out in my inventory. It looked/looks like a new account. Very Freeing. To wrap up, I didn't die. I spent a few weeks in the hospital, a couple months the in rehab, and so far six months of in-home PT. I hope to walk again someday--which beats death...I'm pretty sure...mostly... jury's still out, and after eight months, I'm back.

SL is installed on my laptop which is open to anybody, and SL along with a lot of other apps, are on my keychain. So, under similar circumstances, if you were to die tomorrow would you want to delete in your SL inventory, and if so what would that be and why?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Welcome Back & Congratulations for getting through such a rough time.

I wouldn't spend any time deleting SL stuff if I were in your position. I'd just let my friends know I was facing some medical problems, move my accounts down to Basic, and then let them be. Who knows? Maybe in some Twilight Zone or Black Mirror scenario, my consciousness could inhabit SL?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This reminds me of the Katie Melua song.

"If all your dreams were on fire, which one would you save?"

I wish that LL would grant permission in such circumstances that I could pass on my accounts to friends. This way, my SL markers would prevail.

Busy man, where am I on your list?
You're so full of big ideas
Do you think that we can coexist?
Will we be a pair in twenty years?
If all your dreams were on fire
Which one would you save?
When it comes down to the wire
Should I be afraid?
Should I be afraid?
I don't need the world to be content
All I'll ever need is you
Time alone with you is time well spent
For me that simple dream will more than do
Should I be afraid?
Should I be afraid?
Should I be afraid?
Should I be afraid?
Songwriters: Don Black / Katie Melua
  • Like 4

I wouldn't delete anything. SL wouldn't be at the uppermost of my mind. I'd contact my SL friends and that would be that. I might try to see if I could TRANSFER anything "important" but that list would be very short.

As others have said, welcome back and yay! for avoiding the body bag.

• Like 4

I'd just delete my only account and everything in it .  I won't be around to answer questions, and for those left behind there is always too many questions that only you could answer .

In the same way i'd prefer to be buried than cremated as my own observation at far too many funerals is there is something very final about burial which is missing at a crematorium . Loved ones need to grieve before they can move on , it is them i think of .

Nobody would miss me in SL , i doubt anyone would even notice i'd gone .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

First of all I'm very glad to hear that you managed to beat the odds and make it back.

Deleted accounts aren't deleted immediately, I think they stay in limbo for 60 or 90 days. Even after that, you can still submit a support ticket to recover a deleted account, provided that you can verify your identity. So it's not inevitable that your old accounts are lost for ever, if you want them back.

In similar circumstances I dont think I would bother deleting my accounts. I would make arrangements for my partner to inform certain people, if anything happened to me, but that's about the limit of it.

• Like 2

If I had advance warning of my demise, I'd inform my friends, drop a note in my profile, and run off to attend to RL. I think it would be appropriate for SL to consume about as much of my last day as it has of my last fourteen years.

I'm glad your expiration date has been extended and hope you're able to enjoy running out the clock.

• Like 4

@vanettda Lassard I'm so glad that you were able to beat the odds and are (I hope) recovering well. 

I had a health scare myself last year ending with a major surgery and longer than expected hospital stay, and the last week before the surgery I was feeling a bit frantic about "getting my affairs in order", though I mostly focused on RL issues, like making sure my husband and grown daughter living with us knew how to access all the bank and financial information on my computer in order to take over the bill paying and other financial stuff, if that became necessary.  Looking back now, I can think of other things I should probably leave them some instructions about - and that would include my SL accounts, if for no other reason than to abandon my land and cancel my 2 premium subscriptions (and let a few close friends know what happened).  I don't think I would delete anything from my accounts beforehand. 

Regarding the accounts you deleted - I believe you could have them reactivated if you desired, via a support ticket, especially being as it was relatively recent.  I had deleted an account once and then decided I wanted it back and was able to have it reactivated after answering a few identifying questions.   

Most important though, is that your RL self is still around.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, vanettda Lassard said:

Recently I was told I was going to die. Or that I might die? Or that the chances were 60/40 that I would not exit the hospital in a gown, but a body bag? Regardless, I had time to set my earthly affairs in order which included all my Sl accounts. I nuked Alma Palmira, and Lucy Rust (or at least I thought I did? I pressed the delete account button but discovered today that they are still alive and kicking? anyway I killed them again.) Before leaving for the hospital in April I cleaned my original vanettda lassard to the bone. no pictures no textures (years of hedonistic discovery before I moved on from that particular SL stage) no clothes except my mesh body parts, hair and what ever I was wearing at the time, and anything that was just hanging out in my inventory. It looked/looks like a new account. Very Freeing. To wrap up, I didn't die. I spent a few weeks in the hospital, a couple months the in rehab, and so far six months of in-home PT. I hope to walk again someday--which beats death...I'm pretty sure...mostly... jury's still out, and after eight months, I'm back.

SL is installed on my laptop which is open to anybody, and SL along with a lot of other apps, are on my keychain. So, under similar circumstances, if you were to die tomorrow would you want to delete in your SL inventory, and if so what would that be and why?

I'm so pleased you beat the odds. Life (lives!) certainly takes on a different perspective when you encounter death so closely. 

There really isn't anything I'd delete from my SL inventory, or indeed in my RL one, although I can't see anyone taking too much time over going through my stuff and pondering over any of it. My aunty died in real life and I found a gun in one of her drawers. (I live in the UK, this isn't usual.) There were personal letters though that we put into her coffin with her for cremation. They were her private business. This may have made me (too) mindful of my day-to-day activities and what I save in my drawers/inventory.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Foxx Ghoststar said:

The only thing I would delete are my chat logs. My password would go to a trusted person so that they could delete my account completely once I am floating in the ether.

OMG chat logs. I never thought of that. that's some truly embarrassing drivel that I would rather die with me. /me makes note to himself.

Edited by vanettda Lassard
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd ask the mods to delete every single forum post I've ever made.

5 minutes ago, vanettda Lassard said:

OMG chat logs. I never thought of that. that's some truly embarrassing drivel that I would rather die with me. /me makes note to himself.

I have saved almost every conversation, every photo, for the past 14 years. They are truly hideous to read back through, but exceedingly amusing and entertaining. And I googled myself one time - a teeny tiny bit of real life me, but a ton of ridiculousness as Marigold, and it would take too long to erase all of that.

Own it people! :D🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The people close to me know the golden rule: "peep not through a keyhole, lest ye be vexed" -meaning that if they snoop through my ***** it's their own damn fault if they don't like what they find. As a result? They don't.

My inventory is the last thing I'd be thinking of -the real quandry is how to let my forum and virtual friends know I'm passing on w/out opening my RL friends to potential harassment from online stalkers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your kind words and re-welcoming.

I'm laughing at myself thinking that I must be the the most degenerate person in the forum to want to erase whole sections of my Second Life and the incriminating pictures, clothing (that latex body suit with hobnailed boots and a whip) appendages that wobble and dangle, and lets not forget the two foot demon dong for my horned apparition of desire. LOL my second life has been embarrassingly full. I put parts of that Freudian mirror behind me long ago. But the thought of family (some of which are very techie and are part of SL) discovering and sorting through my SL indulgences and experimentation gives me shivers. (Yes, I am that uptight in the RL 😬)

/me holding hand up. I do solemnly swear to lead a more virtuous life of helping people and bringing joy into my virtual world. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, vanettda Lassard said:

/me holding hand up. I do solemnly swear to lead a more virtuous life of helping people and bringing joy into my virtual world. 😇

You brought me joy that time you wrote this xD

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't delete my inventory.  I'd probably post a note in my profile (if I had warning of impending demise).  I would definitely remove my payment info and change back to a basic account though, but considering I pay yearly, it'll be Premium for a while.  I doubt my fiance would want my accounts, but if he did, I'd give him the passwords. He doesn't do SL, so maybe he'd do the deleting if he could figure it out.

It would be nice if one could "will" one's SL belongings to someone else.  My main's (this one) inventory would make some noob very happy.  I guess I could hand over my fairly significant collection of nice gacha items to someone. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.