Question about alts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good day to everyone.Beautiful day in Canada spring is here.Hope everyone is enjoying some nice weather.

My question is about alt avatars.It seems a lot of ppl have more than one avatar.Why?I have enough trouble just keeping track of one.So, conceivably I could go to a club and it could be busy and only one or two ppl might actually be there.I can understand having different for different situations such as role-playing.Please enlighten me.Thank you so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of different reasons, really. My original account/main is now my alt and I keep her around solely for business purposes/running my store. Others have them for privacy purposes, for photography/modeling, for roleplaying as you mentioned, some prefer to keep adult employment to one avatar and use alts for regular socializing/non-work stuff, some use them to test multi-avatar builds and animations, etc.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, junique Tigerfish said:

Good day to everyone.Beautiful day in Canada spring is here.Hope everyone is enjoying some nice weather.

My question is about alt avatars.It seems a lot of ppl have more than one avatar.Why?I have enough trouble just keeping track of one.So, conceivably I could go to a club and it could be busy and only one or two ppl might actually be there.I can understand having different for different situations such as role-playing.Please enlighten me.Thank you so much.

I have to echo what @Coffee Pancake said. If I'm spending hours working on something, I don't want to spend it telling my friend to sit here, now there, now try this, now double check that. 

I'll just bring up a second window and do it myself.

• Like 4

Thank you so much everyone. I can see how useful this is in many situations.Really have learned a lot about extra avs.Myself,I have no need.Hopefully I am the one buying these creations of yours.Someday I would love to try creating but I have everything to learn.I was expecting to read someone juggling relationships, you know 10 wives ,2 wanting alimony that kind of picture.I learn something new every day or at least I sure try.Classy group.😇

• Like 4

I was building on my new sim I got yesterday and rezzed a build that was 67 prims. It just poofed so I assumed I deleted it because I couldn't find it in area search.  When I logged on my alt to do some testing with group invites it was there. I was totally baffled why my main couldn't see it until my friend said did you block it? Sure enough that is what I did. I never would have known If I hadn't logged in my alt.  Funny though that it didn't show up on area search for me. I would not have known that there were 67 prims just there.

• Like 3

besides roleplay, I use it to:

- check permission settings
- keep backups of stuff I make
- test anims
- quiet account for building stuff/taking pics
- group member for a private group
- hide L$ from myself so I don't spend it all in one go (often fails)

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Rilee Dallas said:

i've met quite a few people who make an alt to partner with and dance with at clubs

Wow I have two ways of looking at that.A lady who does not want to be bombarded with requests but enjoys dancing in a club atmosphere or sadly some poor lonely soul.Hmm...not the worst idea if you can't get along  with yourself not much hope anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

New stories for my blog and different Second Lifes.

I once in a while release a new character (ALT) onto the grid, sometimes with a purpose, sometimes just for fun. They all develop a new story and even a different virtual personality. They do have a few things in common though. I typically announce their birth on the blog as well. here the latest example: [NSFW] Yaya

There is just one (older than Caroline) that is secretly mine.

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Beside all the useful uses of alts described so far,  a lot of alts in SL are used for intrigues, spying, drama, stalking, more drama, gossip, vanity, self importance, even more drama, griefing, manipulate contests, the whole thinkable package. There were even alts in the time of the last names created only to claim funny name combinations.

I only have two alts a tiny bit active at the moment: one is product tester and bank account and the other one sells a few textures on the marketplace.
None of those two is ever seen outside my building platforms.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, junique Tigerfish said:

My question is about alt avatars.It seems a lot of ppl have more than one avatar.Why?I have enough trouble just keeping track of one.So, conceivably I could go to a club and it could be busy and only one or two ppl might actually be there.I can understand having different for different situations such as role-playing.Please enlighten me.Thank you

for this lol-sockpuppets.gif.f13e5dda0ab6777c678597e9ae7987cd.gif

mostly for drama and spying.

some make alt as xes worker and catfishing. and do their wld fantazy

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.