Question about alts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

This is my main. Over the years I've created alts just for the challenge of doing it for free (or mostly free). I created a male alt because I wanted to know what it would be like to traverse SL as a man (but I didn't buy a pixel peen or engage in sex/romantic relationships and I don't go on voice with him). It proved how hard it is to kit out a male avi on freebies.  One alt graduated to premium because I found a Belli house I desperately wanted while I was logged in on her.  She kind of serves as my main bank account, as I tend to forget she gets the stipend now, so her balance accumulates a lot faster. 

The other female alts don't come out much except for great freebies (like at Christmas with Lelutka and advents).  I will log into them a few times a year and upgrade their looks with free/cheap things that are good quality.  One of them was solely created for a last name right before last names disappeared.  She has a really funny name.   There's always an option to eventually have one of the alts as my main, but I'm rather too attached to my main's inventory to do that. 

I wish inventories were usable across accounts. 

hahahaha  What she said....  and I totally blame Bellisseria for my alt addiction!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My original account was relegated to the world of Alts roughly 6 months after she joined.  I created Lil, 4 months after creating the Main, to take myself in a different direction.  I decided that Lil was the SLife that I wanted to continue with, so I grabbed the reins and sent the original to the closet, so to speak.  

Before the latest increase in Premium fees, it was cheaper to just add a few more Premium accounts and use their Premium Tier, rather than paying increased Tier usage on one account - especially after the Premium Tier was increased to 1024 sqm.  At one time, I had a total of 8 Premium accounts donating tier to my land group.  The current cost of Premium makes that option not quite as lucrative as it once was.  I'm now down to 3 Premiums -- one has a Linden Home and the other 2 donate tier to my Mainland land group.

I currently have roughly 2 dozen accounts that are still sometimes used for different things.  I'm cheap though -- NONE of my alts have a purchased mesh body. They are all using either LL provided avatars or one of the freebie mesh bodies available.  Other than my original main, none of them have more than half a dozen outfits either, if even that many.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

One by one the kids lost interest but, over the years, whevever I got bored, I would log in as one of their avvies and upgrade it a bit.

So, instead of the kids coming home at Christmas and telling you about their lives, YOU get to tell THEM what they've been doing.

"Dear, you're now partnered to @Phil Deakins. It was a lovely wedding, want to see the pictures?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

OmFreebieGod.... Stop it! Just STOP!!!
I >IMPLORE< you to think about all the closeted alts for just one minute....
Abandondeded & closeted by their parents & siblings soon after birth..
Shunned by all & sundry again and again and again and again....
Ridiculed relentlessly right here in full public view on Le Fora since it's very inception....
Hunted mercilessly in IM's and posts like rabid mongrel dawgz...
This IS the unspoken nightmare of wirtual vorldz.
I propose an entire SL weeklong festival dedicated to alts and their shenannigans.
InYaAltOutWeek!

Alts have feelingz too ya know ^.^

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Alycia Blaylock said:

You First Life people can be so mean sometimes. You create us on a whim or just to be your unpaid workers (otherwise called slaves, BTW!).  Most of the time you ignore us and don't give us enough money for shopping, yet you take our money whenever you want. Some of us have feeling too. (Bots might not though. It's hard to get much of an in-depth conversation from them.) Most of us like to do the same things you do. We like exploring, dancing, shopping, and chatting with other people.

How about showing us alts a little love and letting us have some fun too. 

Btw, we know stuff about you that you might not like having shared with other people. 

Speak truth to power!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mean, there are a few of me?

My oldest alt is oh-so-creatively named AjayMcDowwll Alter; I made her when I was heavily involved in the operations team on one of the larger entertainment regions.  I was the DJ manager and it seemed like every time I logged in as myself I never stopped working... so she came to be so I could actually have an SL that wasn't all work.  The redhead appeared after too many people realized I was actually having fun... she was kept far more quiet as far as who was actually driving her.

The brunette was created during lockdown, because I wanted to see what the new resident onboarding looked like currently, as my original alts were created in 2008.  The male came about because I needed him to serve as the bank account for a club some friends and I owned, and then I got bored and meshed him out.  He's also quite useful for when I'm at an event where there's mostly couple dancing and my husband isn't available.  I'll dance with people who aren't my partner, but when I'm somewhere folks don't know me well, the nice thing about him is that he doesn't assume just because I hopped on dance balls with him that I'll hop on any other sort of poseball :P

All of Me.png

• Like 5

15 hours ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Are you ever positive about anything regarding SL? Why are you here for ? Do you ever experience happiness? Just about all of your posts are about complaining about others in SL. Wow, just wow.

Hopefully one day you will experience true happiness and feel that you need to express that, to help birth some joy in the world.

I just follow the cusrom of mjaority to not trust everybody

trust only ppl you get connected irl.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

trust only ppl you get connected irl.

Those are evil.

They will try everything possible to drag you out of our beautiful world to a place called "real life". Come on, what's the attraction of a world  full of ugly avatars, a world where people try to kill each other all the time ( you can not login back after you have been killed). They do not even have teleport facilities and making adjustments to ones self is hard work and takes a lot of time and efforts.

(I admit the graphics are great, and lag is reasonably low depending on the age for your avi)

Some of those evil people, try to manipulate or even force you to their "real Life". They don't care if you would want that or not. They ignore deliberately notes in your profile about the topic.

They use techniques, such as making you feel guilty by calling you "fake". They even start to interrogate you, to find out things about you. 

One of those once even managed to find out my mobil number (Yes, RL number), because they wanted to date my RL-ALT (Don't know why, I look way better than my RL-ALT).

(Fun fact: My partner took the phone. The guy was kinda disappointed).

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

And how's that been working out for you, Mister 8 Warning Badges?

Yeah, I'm losing my touch - I haven't increased my Warning Badge haul in some time now :(

It's always worked out how I wanted it to work out 😊

On 5/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Replying in a slightly more serious tone: While bots are certainly a form of alt (a person does, after all, have to create an account for them, which is the definition of an alt), most people think of bots and alts as two different sorts of things, since one is computer controlled and the other is people-controlled.

Good point. I never differentiated, but that's probably because I've never had any alts in that sense. I've had over 70 accounts simultaneously, whatever word describes them. I suppose the first extra one was an proper alt because (a) I paid for it, and (b) it was the closest I ever had to an actual alt in the way you described it. It certainly wasn't created for use as a bot, or anything else.

• Like 1

I have a few alts for a number of reasons.

1) I forgot the password for my original account and made another. Later I recovered the original, and kept them both

2) It is cheaper for me to pay for 3 premium accounts and use their land allowance towards my mainland holdings than it is to pay for it all on the tier of one account.

3) I really, REALLY dislike changing the appearance of my main avatar. It just feels wrong. So if I want to make an avatar that's different, I do it on an alt. 

4) One of them was created just for the funny name (back when last names were originally a thing). Only one person has ever got the joke; you'd have to be a history geek to understand it. But it makes me smile. It's "Ryder Palfrey".

5) Another (Frankie Noir) was also created for the name, to be the bartender in my Film-Noir style club.

None of my alts are secret. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

One of them was created just for the funny name (back when last names were originally a thing). Only one person has ever got the joke; you'd have to be a history geek to understand it. But it makes me smile. It's "Ryder Palfrey".

Yeah, I know quite a few folks that created alts specifically for the names. 

My male alt is Slippen Fall - created specifically for the name at the time and later made a male to use in adjusting poses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't hide my alts, but here's the thing. It's hard to remember who I was when I met whoever. And here's the other thing, if somebody tells me they have an alt, I think WOA!!!, and tomorrow I might not even recall that convo. And anyway, I hunt alone, or with an alt, and that's how it will stay. So it doesn't matter who is who, or who I was. Every day is a new day!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

A palfrey is not any particular breed of horse. They're pleasure riding horses. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes I know. But the word went out of common use after the end of the medieval period (at least in the UK, I don't know if it's still used in the US).

18 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Yes I know. But the word went out of common use after the end of the medieval period (at least in the UK, I don't know if it's still used in the US).

Depends on location. They're more commonly called gaited horses. Ask any young truly horse crazy girl. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.