Why don't more people use the block/mute button on the forum?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hereabouts we have a saying.

"I can't be arsed" Imagine Joanna Lumley saying it.

I use block here because I don't have the time or patience to read through threads which ultimately go nowhere.

I haven't checked my list lately but there are maybe 14 listed. I don't miss that input, and rarely open up a blocked post.

I used to love the forums when I first got started, but the general trend I've seen even over my short 4 years has pushed me away. I miss what it was then, but I really don't bother with it much now.

• Like 1

I don't really need a ignore button.. It's really not hard to just stop communicating with someone, I just stop replying.. That or just scroll over them..

When I don't feel like arguing, it's like second nature to just move on.

I'm almost always like, Maaaaaaaaan I reeeeeeeeeally don't want to do this right now.. Scroll scroll..

I'm lazy like dat!!

Besides, We may not get along one day and be agreeing another.. I've never really felt on bad terms with anyone, no matter how heated threads have gotten.. I'm not much of a name caller..  Soon as name calling starts from either of us, it's pretty much over in my eyes and time to skeeeeeedaddle..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:
11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

If you continue to engage in political mud slinging I'll report you.

If anything maybe we just need to be quicker off the bat with that from now on.

Yeah I'm afraid we are going to have to, or at least I am, as the far-right on the forum keep slinging mud via calling us names -- woke, social justice warrior, white knight, virtue signaling, and more. It's just bizarre that someone can get reported for bringing up a policy problem affecting others in detrimental way (considered as 'politics') yet a segment on the forum can keep using Twitter fighting words the far-right uses to denigrate progressives. So I'm going to start reporting this.

This 'cancel culture' stuff should go too. We've got someone on the forum now who invalidates women who feel the need to push back against insensitive men who approach them, via accusing them of being part of 'cancel culture' when they rightfully defend themselves. In their eyes it's somehow wrong to think some guy trying to get a date in a grocery store is creepy, or that a man approaching a woman in SL and demanding info about their genitals and commanding them to get on voice is perfectly okay.

I think I've reported only 1 person in my time on the forum, and they pretty much had gone berserk. I feel it's wrong to appeal to power to punish other forum members -- it would be much like calling the police on my friend if they were going over the speed limit in the car, or if they brought out a joint to smoke where it's illegal -- I would never appeal to a greater power to punish them.  But I'm afraid it's come to this. So you have been warned -- those who keep name-calling with political fighting words. Please go back to Twitter with it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah I'm afraid we are going to have to, or at least I am, as the far-right on the forum keep slinging mud via calling us names -- woke, social justice warrior, white knight, virtue signaling, and more.

Oh, those aren't terms of endearment? 😲

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah I'm afraid we are going to have to, or at least I am, as the far-right on the forum keep slinging mud via calling us names -- woke, social justice warrior, white knight, virtue signaling, and more. It's just bizarre that someone can get reported for bringing up a policy problem affecting others in detrimental way (considered as 'politics') yet a segment on the forum can keep using Twitter fighting words the far-right uses to denigrate progressives. So I'm going to start reporting this.

This 'cancel culture' stuff should go too. We've got someone on the forum now who invalidates women who feel the need to push back against insensitive men who approach them, via accusing them of being part of 'cancel culture' when they rightfully defend themselves. In their eyes it's somehow wrong to think some guy trying to get a date in a grocery store is creepy, or that a man approaching a woman in SL and demanding info about their genitals and commanding them to get on voice is perfectly okay.

I think I've reported only 1 person in my time on the forum, and they pretty much had gone berserk. I feel it's wrong to appeal to power to punish other forum members -- it would be much like calling the police on my friend if they were going over the speed limit in the car, or if they brought out a joint to smoke where it's illegal -- I would never appeal to a greater power to punish them.  But I'm afraid it's come to this. So you have been warned -- those who keep name-calling with political fighting words. Please go back to Twitter with it.

I'm all for all the name calling to go.. We're not spossed to be doing name calling anyway, Ya big lugs!! \o/

hehehe

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So, you're going to take action to make the paranoid delusions of those who disagree with you look correct? Seems to me that's a rather curious strategy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

as the far-right on the forum... and more blah blah

as long you keep calling them far right, you'll have to accept to be called white knight.

Your unstopable flow of courses self help for problematic issues makes you deserve a title. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

If blocking stopped people from seeing MY posts, instead of the other way round, I'd use it more often. I do occasionally block people, particularly where a thread has become political and where I'm certain that if I respond I'll end up getting suspended.  It tends to be temporary though, and I'll un-hide their posts in non-controversial, SL-related threads.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

as the far-right on the forum... and more blah blah

as long you keep calling them far right, you'll have to accept to be called white knight.

Honestly, I don't know what would accurately describe you.  I see you and others (almost always from countries outside the US) echoing the thoughts and using the same language of the far-right in the US.

We are becoming an autocratic country in the US (some use the term 'proto-fascism, others say we are currently an anocracy). This means the rights of minorities will be reduced or even eradicated. It's already happening -- it's easy to access this information, all the laws being rewritten, if you examine the links posted in the thread requesting a subsection for LGBT+ people. Voting rights are being stripped from POC. One lawmaker even proposed interracial marriage should be outlawed again. Women's reproductive rights are being stripped away (and not just abortion), and women are being arrested now even for miscarriages, and the general public has been enlisted to report on fellow citizens breaking the new laws and  even earn money for doing so, much like the vigilante slave laws of times past. I can't keep track of all the rights of the LGBTQ+ community being removed and slated for removal as we speak.

You may not believe in the removal of rights for minorities in the paragraph above, but you align yourself with and use the same language as those who are seeking to harm us. Do you not comprehend how this would be upsetting?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Honestly, I don't know what would accurately describe you.  I see you and others (almost always from countries outside the US) echoing the thoughts and using the same language of the far-right in the US.

We are becoming an autocratic country in the US (some use the term 'proto-fascism, others say we are currently an anocracy). This means the rights of minorities will be reduced or even eradicated. It's already happening -- it's easy to access this information, all the laws being rewritten, if you examine the links posted in the thread requesting a subsection for LGBT+ people. Voting rights are being stripped from POC. One lawmaker even proposed interracial marriage should be outlawed again. Women's reproductive rights are being stripped away (and not just abortion), and women are being arrested now even for miscarriages, and the general public has been enlisted to report on fellow citizens breaking the new laws and  even earn money for doing so, much like the vigilante slave laws of times past. I can't keep track of all the rights of the LGBTQ+ community being removed and slated for removal as we speak.

You may not believe in the removal of rights for minorities in the paragraph above, but you align yourself with and use the same language as those who are seeking to harm us. Do you not comprehend how this would be upsetting?

Let's try to stay on topic and not drag in politics or subjects from other threads. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Please don't let this thread stray into culture wars, no matter how tempting it might be, and please, too, conduct any interpersonal disputes somewhere else.

...sneaks into your fridge while you are distracted and fills it with the remains of the Easter treats that made her sick two days ago.

• Haha 2

• Moles
2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...sneaks into your fridge while you are distracted and fills it with the remains of the Easter treats that made her sick two days ago.

I thought this thread was going to be about how to keep you out of my house

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My block list has doubled in size thanks to that thread,; but I can still see what they've said when people quote them in replies, I can still see which inane smiley they've clicked on and I can still see when they've posted. So, satisfying as it is to slap them on the list, it's not hugely useful.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

I thought this thread was going to be about how to keep you out of my house

...sets you on fire.

(All your house are belong to meeeeeee!)

(I'm also vibrating in anticipation of being chastised for going off-topic with a mole. ;-).

"LL, Quartz made me do it!!!!!!"

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Block/Mute should be a forbidden topic, just like technical aspects of "banning"!

This thread has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the forum mechanics or questioning LL in any way.  

• Like 1

I don't really block or mute people. The few people on my inworld block are there because they spammed me exesively. If I don't want to engange, I just ignore them the manual way - which seems to drive some people absolute bonkers, for whatever reason. 

In general, I like to believe that no matter how often I disagree with someone, or dislike their general worldview, they still have the potential to say something I might find interesting, or opens up a new perspective for me. Sure, the propability of that happening is small, and that's both and no ones fault at the same time, but it's still there. 

• Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.