Why don't more people use the block/mute button on the forum?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I just think some would be happier here if they used this option more often. Most of the issues I see here are people going back and forth with each other.  Things like "don't take the bait" or "just ignore them" don't seem to work so why not let the forum software do it for you?

"Don't take the bait" has helped me, and really has no connection to whether someone does/should block anyone.
Usually when someone says that they believe a kind of escalation is in process, that the discussion is or could very easily turn into a fight where people are simply defending their position and blaming each other as opposed to listening to the other side at all.
It's all too easy to get caught up in negative feelings, in other words. But a reminder that someone sees this negative dynamic sliding into place is sometimes enough for people to step back and not let one's emotions be so much in the forefront.

We all function at various levels of consciousness at any given time. Nobody is at a meta level all the time, so it's good to consider a warning from somebody who might be at a more objective level.

• Like 4

I don' think I've ever blocked anyone on a forum. Why would I? Their words can't hurt me. At their worst they will only show their own stupidity, prejudice and vileness. I've blocked a few people inworld, but that's because I don't want to be exposed to that kind of drama in SL. On forums it's a little different. I guess drama is like hot sauce. A little goes a long way for me, but it's still fun to spice things up a bit now and then.

If someone annoys me I can choose to ignore them or respond - hopefully with something clever rather than just rude. If someone were clearly breaking rules I could report them, though I generally favor free speech over heavy moderation. If someone is obviously itching for a response, I sometimes like to just ignore them and let them stew in their own juices. I do carry grudges, but at most that's only going to result in a few less likes and a few more confusing emojis from me. And honestly, if that upsets someone, they need to find a different passtime than posting at and reading internet forums. 

I am secure in who I am, so the words of a few random people online don't really hurt me.

If someone breaks rules, I can report them. If anyone attempts to do stuff to *actually* hurt me or people I care about that can't be addressed through proper channels, I also reserve my right to hex them.  🐸 😁

• Like 4

Oh I think blocking is an excellent tool.  In world, I prefer derendering to blocking as I don't like seeing the grayed statues where the offensive avatar was.  But in the forums, it's their words I don't want to see so blocking is the better tool.

That being said, I don't find I need to use that particular tool that often.  I only use it to avoid the tedium of scrolling past the opinions of those I don't respect.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2022 at 3:19 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It seems to me that there are people on the forum that are always disagreeing with other people no matter what they post. They accuse of attacking or derailing threads to the point where they get locked or deleted.  

If you know of a poster that is ALWAYS pushing your buttons or you are disagreeing with on a daily basis why not just block the person?  I know you can still see that they have posted and if you really want you can press that button that says 'reveal post" but why put yourself through that.  

I just think some would be happier here if they used this option more often. Most of the issues I see here are people going back and forth with each other.  Things like "don't take the bait" or "just ignore them" don't seem to work so why not let the forum software do it for you?

Some people here enjoy (even create) the drama they like to complain about. They continuously allow themselves to get triggered because it gives them a platform to lash out at, rather than heal, their triggers. Blocking keeps the narcissists from setting fires and complaining about being burned.

I normally scroll on by. I don't agree fully on everything, or very much probably, with those I associate with. But if you are interfering with my internal peace, I really fail to see any reason not to block. I love everybody, and I pray for those I block, but I don't need to see somebody's constant negativity. I learned a while ago how unhealthy allowing myself access to it can really be. It made me sick. And in case you are wondering, I'm not speaking figuratively when I say that.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.