Why don't more people use the block/mute button on the forum?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't block others on the forums, but I also don't see the need to reply on every thread.  I also don't see the need to keep posting over and over in the same thread to try to convince others that their viewpoint or perspective is wrong*.   If I am really irritated or find a post offensive, I may post one or possibly two replies stating my opinion, or I may decide to just scroll on past, not replying at all.  

* My first online forums experience was a religious denomination's forum, so I know the futility of trying to change firmly held opinions of others. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MoiraKathleen said:

* My first online forums experience was a religious denomination's forum, so I know the futility of trying to change firmly held opinions of others.

omg...I'm surprised you are still with us after that!!!    🤣🤪

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Hence the confused reaction.  Speaks volumes.

I like that big HUH emoticon you used, and copied it.  I'm afraid to use it though, as I feel a bit too mean when I fantasize using it...

Huh emoticon.jpeg

Edited by Luna Bliss

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If you know of a poster that is ALWAYS pushing your buttons or you are disagreeing with on a daily basis why not just block the person?

On rare occasions, I've done that. But I much prefer to see what shenanigans everyone are up to, as a general rule.

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

But if the offending people are harming someone else on the forum I feel needs a voice (maybe they aren't articulating their position too well, or maybe they are the OP of a thread who seems upset about something but never returns) then I feel a need to counter positions that might harm the person who isn't defending themselves too well. I can't do that if I block the offenders.

Have you thought that maybe that person doesn't need you to be their voice for them? You aren't defending them, you are defending your personal offensive to what you think the offender has posted.  It may not be taken the same way by the person you think is not defending themselves. By all means defend what you feel is harmful but don't do it under the guise that you are helping someone else articulate what you feel they cannot. 

Oh I'll take the risk to help even if they might not need it -- better to risk a possible disapproval or infringement than take the risk of someone really needing help and not having it.
I have a pretty good sense of what could benefit someone, though I'm not perfect by any means.
I'm careful not to overstep boundaries or be patronizing, and if I get a sense they don't want my help I back off. Almost always they are grateful for my input though.
Most people don't actually need my help really --  usually I just like to fill in any information that comes to mind that might clarify the issues a bit more, much as anybody else does, partially to help and partially to better understand myself -- writing does that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh I'll take the risk to help even if they might not need it -- better to risk a possible disapproval or infringement than take the risk of someone really needing help and not having it.
I have a pretty good sense of what could benefit someone, though I'm not perfect by any means.
I'm careful not to overstep boundaries or be patronizing, and if I get a sense they don't want my help I back off. Almost always they are grateful for my input though.
Most people don't actually need my help really --  usually I just like to fill in any information that comes to mind that might clarify the issues a bit more, much as anybody else does, partially to help and partially to better understand myself -- writing does that.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Oh I have NO PROBS using mine as well.  But then I have to see what they are writing when people quote them, and that's usually when I get sucked into viewing their posts and commenting on them.  

5 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Have you thought that maybe that person doesn't need you to be their voice for them? 

Let's just say, the white knight virtue signalling gene is strong with that one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i don't block anyone, just scroll on by when I am not in the mood to read it. Sometimes I can go back and read it another time, but that also depends on what kind of mood I am in

is the same with whole threads.  I usually read OPs tho. If I think I don't have anything to contribute or can learn something new from then I just go on to the next OP

Same here.  I have never blocked anyone. Most of the time I don't feel compelled to respond to people who post inane comments. I just let them sit there and I walk on.  For me, ignoring posts I don't care to answer makes more sense than blocking them. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Oh I have NO PROBS using mine as well.  But then I have to see what they are writing when people quote them, and that's usually when I get sucked into viewing their posts and commenting on them.  

Let's just say, the white knight virtue signalling gene is strong with that one.

If you continue to engage in political mud slinging I'll report you.

• Haha 3

reading forum dont make me mad,

its make m e laugh,. block ot mute button not necessary for me, I have stable mentality and the only thing that can mad me is

about money

anything to do with money,
in SL (Linden$) If I feel wronged, it easily triggers my beastmode,

alpha nerves tingling

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

The world wide web is a bear pit in which everyone is right , it never stops to ask why and where personal opinion comes from .Saddest part is www. has replaced parents or respect for older means wiser . An opposing view is to be crushed and discredited by any and all means which is displayed with absolute clarity in politics wherever in the world you may be , we are all voting for the lesser evil rather than the greater good and the brainwashed children truly believe wisdom comes from google rather than experience .

6d1pw1.jpg.2fa9e40009fd45ab734559d8f8e4bbe0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cunomar said:

respect for older means wiser

In the spirit of disagreement: We aren't in the wilderness anymore, where the old guys know whats the best way to keep a fire going and you better listen, unless you want to risk freezing. Just because someone is old doesn't mean their opinion is somehow more qualified or right by default. Most of the time this aren't discussions within fields of expertise.

Also on this forum blocking can be a way of self-protection. Not because words are hurtful and we are all delicate little flowers, but because retaliation always bears the risk of getting a sanctioned by the moderators.

On the topic of the thread itself: The block function should be even better. Hide all signs that a blocked person is even participating in a thread. Make their existance disappear.

• Like 4

The wisdom of age is not necessarily knowledge  sometimes it just like "aye they said that 40 years ago and we are still waiting" , all of us when we are young hear what we want to hear and ignore the rest . I think age just lets us see things with more depth and clarity , we seek ulterior motives , project future side effects and often accept with a shrug that we cannot change the world outside of our own personal sphere of influence .

If someone vehemently disagrees with me on any subject i'd rather know why than erase them . I'm not very good at explaining myself and rarely bother to defend myself , I do what i do because i believe its for the greater good .

I have blocked just one person in all my SL , not because of a disagreement or opposite views , nor because of a slight or insult , but because i truly believe the world would be a better place for everyone , including those i don't like very much if this "thing" does not deserve to be recognized as a human being . Which willupset people whowill not tolerate intolerance - shrugs and sings

"Them that don't know him won't like him
And them that do sometimes won't know how to take him
He ain't wrong he's just different
But his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"

15 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It seems to me that there are people on the forum that are always disagreeing with other people no matter what they post. They accuse of attacking or derailing threads to the point where they get locked or deleted.  

If you know of a poster that is ALWAYS pushing your buttons or you are disagreeing with on a daily basis why not just block the person?  I know you can still see that they have posted and if you really want you can press that button that says 'reveal post" but why put yourself through that.  

I just think some would be happier here if they used this option more often. Most of the issues I see here are people going back and forth with each other.  Things like "don't take the bait" or "just ignore them" don't seem to work so why not let the forum software do it for you?

Because then there is no accountability for the bad actors on the forums, that's why. 

The fact that you see and disagree with people and take swipes at them lets us know you don't make use of this button yourself.

What would be far more useful is if there evolved a community of people who agreed never to AR anyone no matter what. The Lindens' moderation panel would go dark. Instead of hearing constant whistling to them to "do something" about people certain forums mavens don't like, they would have to read the posts and/or rely on automated systems to pick out bad words, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sometimes I block people when they are offending me personally in minor ways.  But if the offending people are harming someone else on the forum I feel needs a voice (maybe they aren't articulating their position too well, or maybe they are the OP of a thread who seems upset about something but never returns) then I feel a need to counter positions that might harm the person who isn't defending themselves too well. I can't do that if I block the offenders.

Sometimes a confused emoticon, or a scorn laugh in more extreme cases, makes my point sufficiently. But sometimes the ideas of the offending poster feels so wrong and harmful I am compelled to try and convince them of a better way to look at the matter being discussed so the world will be better for all.

I also worry what unknown readers of the forum might think if they see insensitive and even abusive comments posted and nobody counters them at all! Would they think what that poster said is okay then, that everybody on the forum agrees with it?

If the Lindens nuked these irritating smiley buttons tomorrow, the forums would be a better place. Some people routinely click on the "nauseated" or "confused = dislike" button far too often. Use your words.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cunomar said:

The world wide web is a bear pit in which everyone is right , it never stops to ask why and where personal opinion comes from .Saddest part is www. has replaced parents or respect for older means wiser . An opposing view is to be crushed and discredited by any and all means which is displayed with absolute clarity in politics wherever in the world you may be , we are all voting for the lesser evil rather than the greater good and the brainwashed children truly believe wisdom comes from google rather than experience .

6d1pw1.jpg.2fa9e40009fd45ab734559d8f8e4bbe0.jpg

Well, at least you're not invoking "Normandy" to claim some spiritual kinship between the violent anarchist group anti-fa and US soldiers who fought Nazi Germany.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Well, at least you're not invoking "Normandy" to claim some spiritual kinship between the violent anarchist group anti-fa and US soldiers who fought Nazi Germany.

No you did that i can only guess to promote some sort of self absorbed sense of superiority ?

The point you miss is that not one of those involved chose to be there and they died because academics got it wrong , because vehemently opposing views paralyzed all possibility of alternative solution . 

Upwards of 50 million people died for no logical reason at all and they were just like me and you .

Edited by cunomar

52 minutes ago, cunomar said:

No you did that i can only guess to promote some sort of self absorbed sense of superiority ?

The point you miss is that not one of those involved chose to be there and they died because academics got it wrong , because vehemently opposing views paralyzed all possibility of alternative solution . 

Upwards of 50 million people died for no logical reason at all and they were just like me and you .

I don't know what you're talking about but since I used to have a RL boss who was wounded at Normandy, I could comment that "freedom" doesn't mean absolutism as to freedom of speech to people who invoke that term; sometimes they mean "the American way of life" which has order and restrictions as much as freedom; sometimes they mean "the four freedoms"; sometimes they mean justice. I don't think this topic is effectively discussed on the SL forums with anonymous avatars. Meanwhile, I don't AR people. Who's with me? I believe I only have 2 people blocked now, yet the block isn't working. I recently blocked them merely because they felt they had to use the emoticons negatively on not only my posts but the posts of many others. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.