Kill it in it's crib Premium: "ploos" , it's "Plus", please

Cam Mode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Gah, calling the upcoming Premium membership upgrade option [slated for May intro last info received]     "ploos "   is just gross. Heard it from multiple Lindens in office hours and talks .

Premium Plus,standard pronunciation  sounds    just    fine . But calling a product by a gross "ploos" is just ugh.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

40 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

speaking of, is there any info on this as of yet or is it all still a mystery ?

Lindens cannot share anything before the marketing team would. PPlus is aimed to be launched in the second part of May. No binding details about any benefits given, there are some suggestions See https://modemworld.me/2022/04/07/april-2022-web-user-group-summary-premium-plus/

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

One thing is certain, it will cost us extra money.

Probably so, but it's possible it could save money for some folks. I stumbled on this possibility recently when I was trying to explain how multiple Premium accounts could end up saving total annual tier costs (net of stipend). I realized that my spreadsheet will need a whole new tab for Plus, and that the plan could offer enough more "bonus" tier to achieve the same savings as those multiple additional non-Plus Premium subscriptions, especially if Marketing understands how those multiple Premium accounts work today.

Granted, they'll probably lard it up with a bunch of silly "benefits" as justification to charge way more than any tier savings would be worth. They're Marketing, after all; getting customers to part with more money is their job.

In any case, Plus is almost certainly a non-starter for me. Because I only use grandfathered higher-stipend accounts as Premium, and they've apparently decided Plus members get no "grandfathered" benefits, I can't imagine the plan would be worth considering. (One exception: if it includes grid-scope Experiences, I'll create a non-grandfathered alt and gladly pay a pretty penny for it. But I doubt the Plus decision-makers have any idea what Experiences even are.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Probably so, but it's possible it could save money for some folks. I stumbled on this possibility recently when I was trying to explain how multiple Premium accounts could end up saving total annual tier costs (net of stipend). I realized that my spreadsheet will need a whole new tab for Plus, and that the plan could offer enough more "bonus" tier to achieve the same savings as those multiple additional non-Plus Premium subscriptions, especially if Marketing understands how those multiple Premium accounts work today.

Granted, they'll probably lard it up with a bunch of silly "benefits" as justification to charge way more than any tier savings would be worth. They're Marketing, after all; getting customers to part with more money is their job.

In any case, Plus is almost certainly a non-starter for me. Because I only use grandfathered higher-stipend accounts as Premium, and they've apparently decided Plus members get no "grandfathered" benefits, I can't imagine the plan would be worth considering. (One exception: if it includes grid-scope Experiences, I'll create a non-grandfathered alt and gladly pay a pretty penny for it. But I doubt the Plus decision-makers have any idea what Experiences even are.)

You must post the new spreadsheet when we know what's in Plus and how much it will cost. 😉

I am hopeless in math, so I will never figure out what's the best deal. I wish I was a grandfathered Premium, but that deal may have ended already before 2007.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am hopeless in math, so I will never figure out what's the best deal. I wish I was a grandfathered Premium, but that deal may have ended already before 2007.

Unfortunately, 2007 just missed it. Here's the relevant section of the Knowledge Base:

Stipends for old accounts

The stipend amount for older accounts depends on what type of account you have and its age.

Premium accounts created or upgraded from basic:

• On or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  • Between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  • Before July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.

Certain old basic accounts get a stipend; basic accounts created

• Before May 29, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week, if they log in that week.
  • After May 29, 2006 do not receive a weekly stipend.

Note: Nobody actually knows what happens if a grandfathered Premium account downgrades to Basic (do they still get the L$50?) nor if they then return to Premium (are their grandfathered rates restored?), nor if they now upgrade to Premium for the first time after all these years (do they still get the grandfathered rates?). People claim to know of a precedent, and even cite the Knowledge Base article as statutory authority, but every time it comes up there are contrary claims, so I've decided there's some Stipend Linden who flips a coin for each account.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

If the stipend doubles it will be more than the 500L, I guess that is why they said  that grandfathered accounts will get the Plus stipend. What will need clarification is if they revert to premium what stipend do they get

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tary Allen said:

If the stipend doubles it will be more than the 500L, I guess that is why they said  that grandfathered accounts will get the Plus stipend. What will need clarification is if they revert to premium what stipend do they get

Right, but as it stands right now, grandfathered accounts are essentially free on the annual Premium plan, the subscription cost offset by the value of the grandfathered stipend. (Although any annual subscription comes with some risk and, as interest rates start climbing back to normal, the cost of money.) The Plus plan may offer better-than-grandfathered stipends, but the marginal subscription cost is apt to be very much higher unless it's also bundled with a boatload of bonus tier.

Edited by Qie Niangao
("essentially" redundant)
  • Like 2

Saying it like that sounds embarrassingly bad.

I pay $460 roughly a year for my current land rent. They better floor me if they want me spending another $200, and calling it that is not a good start(if that is the case).

Though tbh doubling everything isn't exactly exciting me either.

Edited by CalypsoJewel
  • Like 1

I listened to the WUG meeting, where Reed used both "Plus" and "Ploos".  I got the impression that it was internal LL jokey slang, and that if I listened to it again (god forbid) I might be able to discern a pattern to when he used "Ploos".  A few points:

> I think it's great that Reed was comfortable enough with the folks in that meeting to speak "off the cuff".  

> I can see how over time, over YEARS of meetings about Plus, billions of presentations about it, constant jiggling with its benefits and pricing ... a team would get REALLY tired of the words "Premium Plus".  It could be that "ploos" developed as a sort of special name to indicate that THIS is the version that will actually be rolled out.  The version that LL is not going to dink with any more, huzzah!

> I wouldn't worry about hearing it a lot, I REALLY doubt there's any risk that they'll use it in any official communication.  They must know that, to outside ears, it sounds hopelessly smarmy and affected.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.