Philip Rosedale is back as "Strategic Advisor"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember when SL was like an upscale Roblox, and everyone could learn to build inworld With prims — but ppl clamored for mesh and got it. Which meant it was no longer necessary to build anything if you didn’t feel like learning 3d, but to just import and sell. 

And SL shrunk.

So I am hoping for more along the lines of making SL more accessible and bugs fixed rather than more new bells and whistles. 

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I remember when SL was like an upscale Roblox, and everyone could learn to build inworld With prims — but ppl clamored for mesh and got it. Which meant it was no longer necessary to build anything if you didn’t feel like learning 3d, but to just import and sell. 

And SL shrunk.

So I am hoping for more along the lines of making SL more accessible and bugs fixed rather than more new bells and whistles. 

You either flow with the times or get left behind. Prims are primitive and very unattractive. Second Life could benefit from mesh tools, replacing prims.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Well, this is indeed very good news, for all sorts of reasons.

I don't myself see Rosedale as the messianic figure that some do, but he's smart, thoughtful, experienced, and generally knows what he's talking about.

It is also an excellent indication, as some have noted, that SL's long term viability is more stable than some of us had feared -- and that the current ownership sees the platform as an opportunity, rather than as a mere "asset."

I also like the downplaying of the metaverse hype that is implied by this. While the plan is clearly to try to leverage SL to be an important part of "the metaverse," whenever that really, actually, substantially does become a thing, Rosedale's own thinking on this subject is well-informed and entirely sensible (although I still disagree with him about the importance of translating facial expressions into virtual form). This isn't going to be a "SL needs to become BIG tomorrow!" thing -- he, and apparently LL, have a clear sense of the reasonable time frame within which this might (or might not) happen.

So, yeah. Good news.

• Like 6

I think we're going to be ok for a few more years.

From the link Coffee posted.

Second Life has a real virtual economy with an annual gross domestic product of $650 million. It processes 345 million transactions a year for virtual goods, real estate, and services. More than two billion user-generated assets exist inside Second Life with 8 million unique items sold on its marketplace.

By anybody’s measure, that’s pretty much a metaverse. It’s just not a gigantic one.

After the deal, Linden Lab will have about 165 people. High Fidelity’s tech team will bolster Linden Lab’s engineering team by about 20%. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 5

I'm honestly more excited about the extra developers we're going to have and maybe there is something fun in those patents. (This is likely why the roadmap was not specific about what new shiny was on the cards, they couldn't say without giving the game away).

Hoping Philip will beat the "platform advancement" drum nice and loud and should there be meaningful change, his presence should allow it to happen without too much of a screaming fit on our part. He's been pretty active dipping his toes in other virtual spaces, so maybe ... 

.... and we do need that rockstar swagger leading the charge, not just for our peace of mind, but for the wider evangelizing that needs to happen.

• Like 13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.