What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, BranScanlon said:

Omg THIS. I've been saying this for YEARS!! :D Look people, they both want to feast on you. Vampires are just more verbal about it. 

Exaaaactly. They're both undead, eat humans, and repopulate via infection through biting.

😤

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Or at least put a KittyGoPro on them so you know where they are, whose wild birds (or socks) they're taking.

Whose flower bed they've decided is their new litter box.  People would be outraged if someone's dog left a nice pile of crap on their lawn or in their flower bed under a window.  Nothing beats having the lovely aroma of cat poop wafting into your open window on a warm sunny day.  

I've had numerous cats over the years.  Not one has been an "outside pet" which is an oxymoron.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

I'm sickened but curious cartoon yellow nose text eyewear vision care fictional character

Since you're curious...

If you're making marinara from fresh ingredients, you have a significant chance of encountering tart, juicy tomatoes. I neither care for sour marinara, nor little pools of pink water under my pasta. So, what to do if the tomatoes pinched from the neighbor's vegetable garden when they're away are tart and juicy? The traditional balance for tartness is sugar (I use brown). The traditional solution for excess water is to boil it off or add a thickener. I might use a little potato starch, or even mashed potato flakes if I'm too impatient for simmering.

Anise, fennel and licorice root are three different plants, all sharing the familiar flavor of anethole. Some people have a genetic antipathy for anethole, like those who hate cilantro. Even so, these spices are commonly used in Italian cooking and I have them in my spice cabinet.

Black jelly beans contain sugar, corn starch, pectin (another thickener) and anethole. They are nearly the perfect solution for a tart, runny marinara being made by an impatient cook. But, none of this is really terribly important. If stirring whole black jelly beans into a pot of marinara, or sprinkling them chopped onto a pizza, will get a Canadian (or any other guest) to say...

15 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(Eww ew ew ew)

I'm gonna make sure they see me do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Whose flower bed they've decided is their new litter box.  People would be outraged if someone's dog left a nice pile of crap on their lawn or in their flower bed under a window.  Nothing beats having the lovely aroma of cat poop wafting into your open window on a warm sunny day.  

I've had numerous cats over the years.  Not one has been an "outside pet" which is an oxymoron.  

I defend my hill!

The garden I tend to - belongs to my brother - backs onto a recreation ground which is a glorified dog toilet in the main and it is more than a little annoying to find dog eggs have been left just outside the gate or they've been allowed off leash and crapped in the actual garden. The regular dog walkers who do clear up after themselves get very annoyed at walking in others' dog mess.

I don't dislike dogs. I do dislike some dog owners, especially the ones who live in the adjoining house and think it's OK to leave a dog in the house to bark with separation anxiety for seven hours plus. 

Cats don't bark.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I defend my hill!

The garden I tend to - belongs to my brother - backs onto a recreation ground which is a glorified dog toilet in the main and it is more than a little annoying to find dog eggs have been left just outside the gate or they've been allowed off leash and crapped in the actual garden. The regular dog walkers who do clear up after themselves get very annoyed at walking in others' dog mess.

I don't dislike dogs. I do dislike some dog owners, especially the ones who live in the adjoining house and think it's OK to leave a dog in the house to bark with separation anxiety for seven hours plus. 

Cats don't bark.

No, but I've been awakened many a night by those outdoor pet cats fighting/mating or whatever it is that sounds like babies crying.  It's unnerving.  They have also jumped up on the outside window ledge in the summer to annoy my indoor cats.  One even scratched a whole in my screen.  Love my cats!  I love dogs, too.  Both should be under control when outdoors.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, but I've been awakened many a night by those outdoor pet cats fighting/mating or whatever it is that sounds like babies crying.  It's unnerving.  They have also jumped up on the outside window ledge in the summer to annoy my indoor cats.  One even scratched a whole in my screen.  Love my cats!  I love dogs, too.  Both should be under control when outdoors.  

Cats are still better than dogs.

I don't like the smell of dogs. 

But I do agree with you about the caterwauling in the middle of the night. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Cats don't bark.

My father hated cats. When I brought one home from the neighbor's litter, he huffed and puffed and said "I'm going to raise it to be a dog."

That's exactly what he did.

By the time Alex was grown, he would go for unleashed walks at Dad's side, rolling over when prompted, and offering a paw for handshakes or high fives. Though it was never really a "bark",  he learned that truncated growls earned treats and head scratches. Nobody had ever heard a cat make that sound, so all were willing to call it a bark.

Of course you can't really take the cat out of a cat. He was a skilled hunter and I was his favorite prey. He'd stalk me, indoors and out, in the dark. He once crawled up under the covers at the foot of my bed and, after lacerating my toes, slithered slowly up alongside my body. I lay ever so very still until I could feel his whiskers against my face. Then I pounced. For the next minute it was a fight to the death, after which he kneaded my head and fell asleep on it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

I defend my hill!

Cats don't bark.

What is worse are jaskasses who walk the dog and let them crap on MY lawn.  GTFO.   I was in the back yard back in the summer and came back to the front and some ass had his dog prepping to take a big dog dump on my front lawn. I yelled "HEY!!! If your dog s**** in my yard, I'm gonna beat your ass with a shovel!!!"   At the word HEY, the dog "prairie dogged" and ran back to his owner.   I do NOT take kindly to that.

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Since you're curious...

If you're making marinara from fresh ingredients, you have a significant chance of encountering tart, juicy tomatoes. I neither care for sour marinara, nor little pools of pink water under my pasta. So, what to do if the tomatoes pinched from the neighbor's vegetable garden when they're away are tart and juicy? The traditional balance for tartness is sugar (I use brown). The traditional solution for excess water is to boil it off or add a thickener. I might use a little potato starch, or even mashed potato flakes if I'm too impatient for simmering.

Anise, fennel and licorice root are three different plants, all sharing the familiar flavor of anethole. Some people have a genetic antipathy for anethole, like those who hate cilantro. Even so, these spices are commonly used in Italian cooking and I have them in my spice cabinet.

Black jelly beans contain sugar, corn starch, pectin (another thickener) and anethole. They are nearly the perfect solution for a tart, runny marinara being made by an impatient cook. But, none of this is really terribly important. If stirring whole black jelly beans into a pot of marinara, or sprinkling them chopped onto a pizza, will get a Canadian (or any other guest) to say...

I'm gonna make sure they see me do it.

That. . . all sounds horrible lmao -- but very interesting to hear about, nonetheless! Gotta appreciate an odd but scientifically sound solution! I had no idea there was an issue with tart/runny marinara... I also strongly dislike marinara and tomatoes so that's probably why. 🤣 I love spicy and/or fruity salsa though, as long as there's enough flavor to make me forget that I'm eating tomatoes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

It's arrogant to think we are the only planet with life on it

If the universe is infinitely large, then, statistically, by pure coincidence, there must be another planet out there exactly like ours. With people exactly like us. With the same names and same Social Security numbers. And an infinite amount of those exact copies of our planet scattered throughout the universe, at that. It sounds so ridiculous that, maybe, the universe is not infinite after all.

I hope that in my lifetime, we'll discover life on other planets or even on moons or dwarf planets, like Ceres or Pluto :P, in our own solar system.

• Like 1

A myriad of comments (since I'm too lazy to quote and comment on each one)

1.  Sweet pizzas?  Gross

2.  Pluto.  While I agree that once Pluto was established as a planet, it was rude and unnecessary to boot her out,  the definition of a planet is: An object that rotates a star, an object that has gravity (technically EVERYTHING has gravity in space) and big enough to have cleared any similar sized object from their orbit.  The 3rd one is what gets Pluto in a pickle.  

3. Tomatoes/ tomahtoes are a fruit.  A fruit is defined as coming from the flower of a plant. Veggies are the plant itself.

4. Whales are a mammal because of live birth and suckling by the calf until weaned. Fish are hatched from a laid egg, and the parent could care less about the offspring. 

And, yes, Rat , I'm pretty sure you weren't serious.

5. Zombies/vampires.  Zombies are generally defined as the the  "undead". or the dead reanimated. Vampires don't actually die, but are changed chemically. In media the term "zombie" being applied to a being whose mental capabilities have been lost is incorrect.  They aren't dead. The John Ringo "Black Tide" series explains this very well.  (It's a moot point, since neither a true zombie or vampire exist)

6. I believe Epstein did kill himself, but was given the method and time to do it by outside forces. (Glad he's dead)

I'm sure there are others, but that's for another post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If the universe is infinitely large, then, statistically, by pure coincidence, there must be another planet out there exactly like ours. With people exactly like us. With the same names and same Social Security numbers. And an infinite amount of those exact copies of our planet scattered throughout the universe, at that. It sounds so ridiculous that, maybe, the universe is not infinite after all.

I hope that in my lifetime, we'll discover life on other planets or even on moons or dwarf planets, like Ceres or Pluto :P, in our own solar system.

The environmental and evolutionary conditions for planets to evolve EXACTLY like Earth are slim and none. Similar, maybe,  but exact?   No.   It doesn't matter how big the Universe is.

One thing aside from that is, technically, if you believe in the "big bang", there has to be an end to the universe, therefore it is not infinite. That's just speculation on my part. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

There is no such thing as cancel culture, it´s a made up thing by people who dont want to be called out on their sh*tty opinions.

Cancel culture, like (other things that will get moderation involved) was invented by the government to control us and has since ironically spiralled out of their control.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

The environmental and evolutionary conditions for planets to evolve EXACTLY like Earth are slim and none. Similar, maybe,  but exact?   No.   It doesn't matter how big the Universe is.

And there's the difference between a cosmological answer and a statistical one.  Arduenn did start off by saying

15 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If the universe is infinitely large, then, statistically, by pure coincidence, ....

which is a big IF. Given that running start, though, it's statistically valid to conclude that somewhere out on the tails of the probability distribution there's a doppelganger Earth. Not terribly likely, I agree.  From a cosmological perspective, likely --> zero if the Universe is finite, as prevailing opinion would have it today.  It's fun to speculate, though.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.