What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do whales swim in the sea and get hunted by Japanese fishing boats?   ✔️

Do whales use their tails to swing through trees in the jungle?     

And whales smell fishy. So I will stick with fish 🙂 I think the biologists are just trolling us! 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If the universe is infinitely large, then, statistically, by pure coincidence, there must be another planet out there exactly like ours. With people exactly like us. With the same names and same Social Security numbers. And an infinite amount of those exact copies of our planet scattered throughout the universe, at that. It sounds so ridiculous that, maybe, the universe is not infinite after all.

I hope that in my lifetime, we'll discover life on other planets or even on moons or dwarf planets, like Ceres or Pluto :P, in our own solar system.

My French teacher at school believed this and I tend to think that's why sometimes I wake up and feel out of sync with the world I am in, because somehow The Power That Is Bigger Than All of Us has pinched me out of one bed and placed me in another identical one on another galaxy that is just ever so slightly different.

Today I have heard three new phrases that I didn't understand until I used Dr Google, but on my own planet Earth I would have understood every word because these three phrases wouldn't be in existence there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Do whales swim in the sea and get hunted by Japanese fishing boats?   ✔️

Do whales use their tails to swing through trees in the jungle?     

And whales smell fishy. So I will stick with fish 🙂 I think the biologists are just trolling us! 

The biologists really started trolling when they revealed that whales have skeletal remnants of hind legs that are canid in form, suggesting whales descended from large land mammals that share a common ancestor with wolves. 🤣

Edited by LilNosferatu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

The biologists really started trolling when they revealed that whales have skeletal remnants of hind legs that are canid in form, suggesting whales descended from large land mammals that share a common ancestor with wolves. 🤣

Bonkers! I could believe a goldfish, but not wolves :S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:
1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

The environmental and evolutionary conditions for planets to evolve EXACTLY like Earth are slim and none. Similar, maybe,  but exact?   No.   It doesn't matter how big the Universe is.

And there's the difference between a cosmological answer and a statistical one.  Arduenn did start off by saying

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If the universe is infinitely large, then, statistically, by pure coincidence, ....

which is a big IF. Given that running start, though, it's statistically valid to conclude that somewhere out on the tails of the probability distribution there's a doppelganger Earth. Not terribly likely, I agree.  From a cosmological perspective, likely --> zero if the Universe is finite, as prevailing opinion would have it today.  It's fun to speculate, though.

Infinities are tricky things. There are infinite whole numbers, none of which repeat. Gabriel's Horn has infinite length and surface area, but finite volume. You can fill it with paint, but you can't paint it.

Zero (absolute nothingness) is similarly tricky... and not found in nature, which truly abhors a vacuum.

We might well be infinitely far away from determining the constraints on potentially infinite universes, so any speculation about things like repetition, or lack of it, is... speculative.

I've highlighted Rolig's belief, which I share. The prospect of infinite fun is compelling.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Grammar, which isn't infinite.
  • Like 2

Just because some fool managed to drag it's slimy butt out the ocean, doesn't mean you should eat it.

There are no gods, because we killed them.

Billionaires as a concept is obscene. In practice they represent the worst of our nature.

Free will is an illusion, we obey the same rules and are made of the same stuff as everything else.

"Hi, how r u ?" is not a conversation starter, it's violence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Cancel culture, like (other things that will get moderation involved) was invented by the government to control us and has since ironically spiralled out of their control.

Id love to know what other things you theorize are government conspiracies.

Oh, I forgot, another hill I would die on is:

Stanley Kubrik did NOT fake the moon landing, that thing was real, people went to space, walked on the moon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Oh, I forgot, another hill I would die on is:

Stanley Kubrik did NOT fake the moon landing, that thing was real, people went to space, walked on the moon.

But of course he faked it!  How else could they push their narrative that the earth is round and not flat? 

A flat earth has no hills, right?

(hope sarcasm font is installed with the next forum update)

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

All of the birds died in 1986 due to Reagan killing them, and replacing them with spies that are now watching us.

The birds work for the Bourgeoisie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

if you believe in the "big bang", there has to be an end to the universe

I don't believe in de Big Bang. I only trust that astronomers are correct in determining that galaxies twice as far away from us move twice as fast away from us, at a rate (approximately 70 kilometers per second per megaparsec) that suggests that the density of the universe was incredibly high 13.8 billion years ago. Astronomers will be happy to admit they are wrong, if someone can provide proper proof against this consensus. In the mean time, research done with your tax money keeps confirming this notion. Can't wait for more precise results from the James Webb Space Telescope in the next few years.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Added a link to an article about Wendy Freedman's JWST Cycle 1 program.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I don't believe in de Big Bang. I only trust that astronomers are correct in determining that galaxies twice as far away from us move twice as fast away from us, at a rate that suggests that the density of the universe was incredibly high 13.8 billion years ago. Astronomers will be happy to admit they are wrong, if someone can provide proper proof against this consensus.

Oh i'm not arguing FOR it.  That's why I put "if".''

I think it's one of those things we will never figure out.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.  I DO think the "big bang" has more of a religious context than many scientists would want to admit. Just my thoughts.  Not anything I'm willing to go up the hill for.

10 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Or at least put a KittyGoPro on them so you know where they are, whose wild birds (or socks) they're taking.

A friend's cat once dragged in a neighbours roast chicken through the cat flap.

I expect the neighbours learnt their lesson not to leave the roast to rest on their window sill after roasting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1. Mayonnaise is the foulest substance mankind has ever created.

2. Your children are not your retirement plan. They are individuals with their own goals and dreams, and it's unethical and selfish to chain them to this kind of indentured servitude of looking after you when you're old.

3. Fish is the flesh of an animal and should never be called vegetarian. I don't care what some guys in funny hats tell you.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

1. Mayonnaise is the foulest substance mankind has ever created.

Says you. Miracle Whip on a ham and cheese sandwich is amazing!

24 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

2. Your children are not your retirement plan. They are individuals with their own goals and dreams, and it's unethical and selfish to chain them to this kind of indentured servitude of looking after you when you're old.

No one said they were.. Thats what retirement and investments are for.

25 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

3. Fish is the flesh of an animal and should never be called vegetarian. I don't care what some guys in funny hats tell you.

That would be Pescatarian. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.