Everything is for EvoX only

Sissi Slacker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lelutka heads. I mean, my main avatar wears it. My alts have Catwa HDpro/Akeruka/Logo/etc, and the selection of skins and makeup is very limited. I was so happy when BOM was added - I thought I could finally experiment with more niche mesh heads and bodies. 2020 was great, at least at something, because SLUV layers were everywhere. But these days almost everything new and shiny is made only for EvoX. Honestly, I don't notice much difference in quality compared to other heads or regular Evo, even playing on ultra settings. I guess we have ear blushes/tattoos now. Yay. It feels like a step back in terms of customization variety.

I know it's a basic "supply and demand" situation, but at this point whenever a newbie joins in or somebody comes back, they are always recommended to get a Lelutka head. It's a vicious circle which reminds me of those not-so-old days, when everything was applier-based and made for another monopolist brand.

I'm just rambling, so don't mind me. And huge thanks to those creators who still add Evo layers in addition to EvoX.

• Like 6

I'm wondering if the reason for everything being EvoX now is because everything has been released for Evo previously, and creators are catching up with offerings for EvoX.

I agree that it is awesome when creators support both Evo and EvoX. I'm also cognizant that the maps are different, which is a challenge for creators.

• Like 1

I said just the same when Simone was the only Lelutka head. "Everything is made for Genus and Catwa". So I know how you feel. Catwa had new heads all the time and everyone who did not have Catwa heads had Genus.

And you are right. It is a lot for EvoX now. Lelutka did a major jump up in the market when she gave away both a male and female head, and also updated a whole line of heads to EvoX.

So it was a clever thing to do. As there are weekend sales for EvoX all the time, newbies are advised to get EvoX, it is easier to shop for. The price for their heads are 2000 L lower than Majer. That is almost enough for a mesh body, for the price of a Majer head.

Plus that Lelutka had a sale last year, and will have a sale starting in a few days, with 50% off all heads. The more heads they sell, the more content is made for them. And so they get customers back.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Sissi Slacker said:

I know it's a basic "supply and demand" situation, but at this point whenever a newbie joins in or somebody comes back, they are always recommended to get a Lelutka head. It's a vicious circle which reminds me of those not-so-old days, when everything was applier-based and made for another monopolist brand.

There's still stuff being made for Genus and Catwa, and at different points in time, the roles were reversed. The market competitors are leap-frogging, which creates trends, and with creators wanting to maximise profit (and, why wouldn't they?), they generally try to keep up with the trends.

The Evo* line was a large step past Genus which was the 'big thing' before that, and whilst Catwa's HDPro line put it pretty much on par with Evo X in many regards, the Evo X trend had already begun and people were getting dug in, and Lelutka has been very productive with their Evo X line, offering a wide variety of heads.

*Correction: Accidentally wrote 'Evo X' when it was supposed to be just 'Evolution'. 

Edited by Orwar
Correction.
  • Like 4

When I bought my first head I chose Lelutka for the better prize e over Catwa, and the hud was much easier. I just demoed heads and this was my brand. Then Lelutka made their Lilly and Alain head and gave them away, call it better marketing. I absolutely love my Lilly head + free update to EvoX. Now they offer 50 off all the heads. No wonder why creators make their products for EvoX. Yes, Catwa made their line HDPro but Lelutka were first. 

When I bought my first mesh body, I purchased Ebody. I know, stupid thing to do. But I was wondering why all clothes are made for Maitreya. Now I know why. And it's not monopolists thing, it's better marketing

Edited by HelenaNavy92
  • Like 3

From a creator point of view, my business partner and myself stopped supporting all other heads outside of Evo X. Why? Sales. We tallied the sales for other heads versus Evo/EvoX and the numbers were very clear. Catwa didn't make us the upload costs back and Genus sales went from stable to not great while Evo and now Evo X soared. Time is money so we spend the time we would have taken to support the other heads to make more products for those where the sales merit our time and effort.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

There's still stuff being made for Genus and Catwa, and at different points in time, the roles were reversed.

Not enough to choose from at all. And I remember those days very well, refusing to buy a Catwa head because I didn't like any of them and ending up with nothing to play dress up with. Or the dreadful Phat Azz trend years ago. I certainly don't blame Lelutka for maximizing their profits. They are doing a good job, although the EvoX feature definitely feels anti-consumer and an excuse to lock the market. Evo classic was absolutely fine in terms of looks and still is. The difference in texture quality is miniscule, and it's not like SL needs more HD textures to hinder it's performance.

The latest weekend sales prompted me to start this topic, because I found nothing for my alts. If you just want a new skin, in addition to abandoning your shape and buying an EvoX head like everybody else, you have to basically start from scratch rebuying hairbases, brows, eye circles, tattoos, etc. Or just buy nothing, be content with the old stuff and occasional SLUV releases, and wait for another trend change. 

As I said, I realize the reasons behind it, both from a creator and customer point of view. At least most popular human mesh bodies use regular UV map (for now), but I feel like it's also  subject to change in the future.

• Like 2

How many wing eyeliners and smoky eyeshadows do you need for the other heads? 

There comes a point where makeup creators are just making the same things with minor variations. All you have to do is go to the mainstore, the same thing is probably there as the newest release.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, HelenaNavy92 said:

Now I know why. And it's not monopolists thing, it's better marketing

I can't recall actually ever seeing any marketing for Maitreya. And they didn't gain popularity by handing out creation kits either - there's still people making 'experimental' Maitreya fits. But it's almost half as expensive as its competitors (L$2,750, most others are somewhere around L$3,999-L$5K), it's extremely well-supported, it's very user-friendly, it's responsive to sliders which makes it popular for a wide variety of shapes unlike many other bodies these days that are made to be only a certain type of niche shape. It's also been around for a very long time, back when Maitreya came out (Lara's release was announced on Christmas Eve of 2014) there wasn't anywhere near as much competition as there is these days.

And even though Lara is 7 years old by now, it's kept up to date. It got its BOM update pretty soon after the feature was introduced, and in that update there were a lot of other nice features such as separating the layers into their individual attachments, and .. The save stick .. Which I found terribly useful for a few months .. Until I decided I'd rather just make alpha masks for the things that don't come with them out of the box. 

• Like 6

At one time if people were creating for just one head brand it was Catwa then Genus came along and that was flavour of the month for exclusive content then while Genus had to spend time out of the market Leltuka came along with Evo/X heads and they're currently flavour of the month until something better or more exciting comes along in the head market. If you're a creator and there's lots of heads using non standard UV maps it's going to be most profitable to create for what's popular

• Like 2

It's a shame to see that hardly anyone is releasing new stuff for anything other than Evo X. I mainly wear the new LeLutka heads but I still like my Genus head. And my alt wears LeLutka but isn't going to upgrade to Evo X because she depends on too many of her old items for her look.

You may be interested in the half price sale at Dotty's Secret right now, lots of makeup for various heads. Group members only but the group is currently free to join I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While all the new skins, tattoos and makeup layers may be for EvoX right now, there are still plenty of slightly older skins and makeup layers still available. The frequent changes in popularity for mesh heads and bodies in SL can be annoying at times, but it also forces clothing and skin creators to stay current and keeps consumers buying new items. 

I love the new Lelutka heads (especially at half off this Black Friday), but I'm choosing to remain Evo (not EvoX) and thus still be able to use last year's items. I'm betting most of these brand new sparklies will be discounted next year too.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

While all the new skins, tattoos and makeup layers may be for EvoX right now, there are still plenty of slightly older skins and makeup layers still available.....

Yep, there is no need to to be up-to-date, just not out-of-date.

• Like 2

Like Sissi said in the opening post, I struggle to see any difference between Evo and EvoX. I upgraded one of my alts to test this out, and decided that the cost of upgrading skin and make up on my other avis, right now makes no sense. Evo is plenty good enough for me. If anyone can show the difference in pics on here, I would love to see the difference.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Like Sissi said in the opening post, I struggle to see any difference between Evo and EvoX. I upgraded one of my alts to test this out, and decided that the cost of upgrading skin and make up on my other avis, right now makes no sense. Evo is plenty good enough for me. If anyone can show the difference in pics on here, I would love to see the difference.

There isn't any difference, per se.

Evolution uses their near version of the standard SLUV for heads. Evo X uses their entirely own UV mapping which gives more space on it for the face by removing their ears and placing them on their own channel.

You can't tell which people are using which just by looking at them. In theory, Evo X has a slightly higher resolution for the face, but in reality it's a rather negligible amount. The ears, however, rather than having a corner of the head's UV for their texture, now have their own channels which means that you get 'HD' ears. Which is nice for the otorhinolaryngologists out there, I suppose. Personally I don't usually go around looking at people's ears very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't see a difference between Evo and EvoX. I have the same kind of skin in both Evo and EvoX. Same tone, basically identical. (YS & YS)

I decided to take a copy of the head and set it up with the EvoX skin. It turned out that I use only the EvoX version, because all the HD makeup I buy every weekend is for both heads, and I also got a ton of layer makeup in the new UV mapping. It is no need to use the Evo head for me.

I thought buying lots of new hairbases would ruin me, but the included hairbases is great. I don't miss the old hairbases either. Most of them were ugly, to say it direct. With a white line in the old UV mapping, both as a ring 1 inch in from the face, and a line in the back of the head.

• Like 2

I can see the difference between the Evo and the Evox. It really depends on the skin and the details. I have a skin from when it first came out that has a tiny scar, the scar seems to have depth, but its a tiny detail. You also have to zoom in really close to see it, obviously. However, zoomed out there seems to be a kind of "effect" on Evox skins when zoomed out. I'd say it looks almost like ambient occlusion. Maybe its my graphics setting and windlights?

Anyway, everybody with an Evo head got an upgrade to EvoX, soooo there's still an option to use whichever one you like. \o/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I can't see a difference between Evo and EvoX. I have the same kind of skin in both Evo and EvoX. Same tone, basically identical. (YS & YS)

I decided to take a copy of the head and set it up with the EvoX skin. It turned out that I use only the EvoX version, because all the HD makeup I buy every weekend is for both heads, and I also got a ton of layer makeup in the new UV mapping. It is no need to use the Evo head for me.

I thought buying lots of new hairbases would ruin me, but the included hairbases is great. I don't miss the old hairbases either. Most of them were ugly, to say it direct. With a white line in the old UV mapping, both as a ring 1 inch in from the face, and a line in the back of the head.

I have an Evo and an EvoX skin from the same maker, and on the base skin I can't see a lot of difference; they both look fine to me. The difference comes with some of the add-ons. Like I have crow's feet from Izzie's, both the regular BOM and EvoX version, and they're way clearer and more obvious on the EvoX. And I've been buying up EvoX makeup on the weekend sales and it has way more detail than I've ever seen in a regular BOM makeup.

For now I'm still using regular Evo because I have a couple of add-on BOM facial imperfections that aren't available in EvoX yet and that I haven't found a good substitute for. But I'm hoarding EvoX makeup against that day, lol.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

I have an Evo and an EvoX skin from the same maker, and on the base skin I can't see a lot of difference; they both look fine to me. The difference comes with some of the add-ons. Like I have crow's feet from Izzie's, both the regular BOM and EvoX version, and they're way clearer and more obvious on the EvoX. And I've been buying up EvoX makeup on the weekend sales and it has way more detail than I've ever seen in a regular BOM makeup.

For now I'm still using regular Evo because I have a couple of add-on BOM facial imperfections that aren't available in EvoX yet and that I haven't found a good substitute for. But I'm hoarding EvoX makeup against that day, lol.

Izzie's has made more 3 EvoX stuff and has Black Monday sale on selected items, until December 2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/izziebutton/51700620224/in/photolist-2mLBcaS-2mLtE3d-2mLyYvS-2mLAFfG-2mLt2om-2mLws84-2mLzZnr-2mLxQBP-2mLyEFf-2mLwACy-2mLx1Ti-2mLssJe-2mLmL6u-2mLrrPa-2mLkPhb-2mLqYXK-2mLp5fa-2mLsvwz-2mLsiM7-2mLjhRD-2mLheta-2mLkN48-2mLgdAq-2mKHkWH-2mLkRhr-2mLj6a5-2mLeyaB-2mLcnhc-2mLcgy3-2mLc37t-2mL9nLx-2mL9aGC-2mL9fTh-2mLag1F-2mL78fA-2mL6wnj-2mL6KYt-2mKZHUU-2mL3qQ4-2mKW2Gf-2mKPtQk-2mKUbNc-2mKNo9S-2mKNdns-2mKRq6F-2mKDo1u-2mKKVvZ-2mKASH4-2mKBngJ-2mKsUcU

Edit to add: Those who look for other items than EvoX may find them on sale, since it says "selected items" I guess it will be much for older heads, and Izzie's is not outdated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And here I am with my GA:EG Jennifer head as I disliked Catwa heads back in there day for the *consent jittering* animation.  
Feel in love with the hud for GA:EG and the AO HUD you could get and the eyes you had to get.   Yes it was expensive.   But being an advanced avatar maker I also got MOD YES for the eyes and head from GA:EG as a note card request (had material related settings I couldn't touch otherwise).

Soo I had fun all these years

What I look like just a few days ago

Seems a friend wants to get me a Avalon head from LelEvox for a better mature look.     am not sure its hard to get my glowing tattoo to work as is (another reason why I use Mait body still as Legacy body looks great, its hud is very laggy, not really useful and the kit to to apply textures to the bodies has script bugs,  aka cant get the tattoo onion layer to glow! )

I just in general hate being told my head is outdated when the only thing all the  new heads offer is a new base default shape.   Where your sliders can only change that head so much.

Granted you run into all the textures and makeup that get made for such head... too  but.... 1024 by1024 texture can only be soo........HD ya know?   its style and personal choice at this point no?

Now I have noticed my head looks more *game* like then some other heads the shape does not lend well when next to other heads for that *reality look*   so some uncanny vally can happened.

But am not here for 1st life XD

Another cute picture

I am actually open to any comments about my look, I tend to not understand the current vibes in the community well, but please more then just *outdated*  give deets if you can

• Like 1

I think so too :(

friend is paying though so i can do a full makeover and see if it works regardless of I stick with it.   am kinda of a 1 avatar type fox so yeah I like one identity so changing is hard for me. But from what I noticed hardly anyone knows what GA:EG is....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.