Comments/Compliments on your avatar

Muffinstuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Many of us spend a significant amount of time and money customizing our avatars, and another thread has me wondering. Good or bad, how many of you all receive comments on your avatar? I often receive feedback on my height (6'2') and that I need to be taller. I politely disagree with them ;). 

• Like 4

Yes, I receive positive comments all the time. My avatar has a gothic look at present and people comment on that and say they like it. However, I did have one male IM me, and offer to "makeover" my avatar. His was hideous and out of date, by the way. He didn't like my head, he didn't like that I was wearing Freya, and said I should wear Maitreya (which is in my inventory) and of course I was too pale. I didn't even check to see if he was offering to pay, just told him where to go.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I get a lot of comments/compliments on my various looks. Especially if I have a more out there look going on. It's almost always positive or at the various least someone asking where I got something (and I'm always willing to share that info).  I haven't really gotten in negative comments  "in person" although I did share a look of the day screen shot in a group and got insulted by someone, in one of those "no offense but" type things.  But whatever. I do like getting compliments but even if a bunch of people don't like my looks I don't care because I create looks/outfits for myself.

A long time ago I did get a creepy IM for a guy who told me how he liked that I had a smaller chest and didn't have huge boobs or Lolas (back in the Lola days) like so many other women, how refreshing it was and at the SAME TIME he was IMing my friend (we were at a hang out place and it wasn't obvious we were friends) telling her how much he LOVED her voluptuous  look and offering to buy her Lolas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I happened to receive on couple of occasions compliments on my looks and shape to the point of people asking me for the exact body proportions I used to achieve my looks. When you strive for uniqueness and high quality it's very easier to notice it, even the small details on your outfit or looks make an impression in others ^_^

• Like 1

i get lots of comments on how cute or well put together my av it , which makes me especially happy when it comes from non-anime avatared folk :} makes me feel solidarity between different avatar styles, yaknow?

i also get the inevitable comments that start out with "cute avatar!" and then into... unwanted advancements - as is the struggle of having a feminine presenting avatar in public SL, i suppose.

i get a bit nervous messaging others about their avatars i like, worried they might think i'm trying to make advancements, but this thread sort of gives me the determination to not be so shy

Edited by asteriddle
wanted to finish my thought
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

When I bother to leave my sky pad, I frequently get IMs along the lines of "wow great avi", to which I reply "thanks, she should be, I spend enough on her."  Convos tend to peter out after that.

I feel you and I have some of the same experiences in SL. LOL  Of course my feeling is unless you want to have an actual conversation with me then don't IM but I guess I'm told that is anti social behavior. Shrugs..I just think you can admire an avatar and not have to actually IM them just to say that.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Haha 1

I get far more positive comments about my appearance when I'm a blue horse, but only when I'm amongst non-furries. Compared to other furries, my avatar is uninteresting but amongst humans it's striking and unusual. I get noticed, and people of all types will give me compliments.

When I'm human it's less frequent, I guess because I'm less unusual. Since I've switched to the Erika body and a curvier (fatter!) shape, it's surprised me that I haven't had any negative comments, people telling me that I should be slimmer. 

• Like 2

I do often get compliments on my looks; I appreciate it, especially if I've taken the trouble to put a special fantasy costume together.  I also often get curious questions about my missing arm, which I'm usually happy to answer.

I've only once had any negative comments and that was being criticised for my height being "too tall" and "unrealistic" - I'm well over 7' tall and this is absolutely intentional - my avatar is an elf, not a human, and I am supposed to be this tall. So the "height police" can stand on a box and kiss my gorgeous butt.

• Like 7

I usually get compliments with a side order of shock when I do after they find out I am using a Niramyth body. Half the time people can't seem to tell if I am using a mesh head or system head because I blended it so well together and I have my body toned down for the most part so I am not looking like a He-Man action figure. lol😎

I often get compliments on the go at events or shops. Some people also ask where I got an item from or my skin. If people ask me politely, I even answer them ☺️.

Unfortunately there are also people who say mean things, but that mostly happens in groups and the people themselves often look very bad - I guess they do it out of jealousy

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MillyWH said:

A long time ago I did get a creepy IM for a guy who told me how he liked that I had a smaller chest and didn't have huge boobs or Lolas (back in the Lola days) like so many other women, how refreshing it was and at the SAME TIME he was IMing my friend (we were at a hang out place and it wasn't obvious we were friends) telling her how much he LOVED her voluptuous  look and offering to buy her Lolas.

Guys never seem to figure out the gals in a region are talking...

16 hours ago, asteriddle said:

i also get the inevitable comments that start out with "cute avatar!" and then into... unwanted advancements - as is the struggle of having a feminine presenting avatar in public SL, i suppose.

i get a bit nervous messaging others about their avatars i like, worried they might think i'm trying to make advancements, but this thread sort of gives me the determination to not be so shy

Male or female you will get hit on. The mix of gender bending and none binary preferences really mixes things up in SL.

Complimenting others is a good thing. Never fear they will think it is a come-on. Just assume they will. Give your compliment and let it drop. Most people are polite and accept it then wait for the follow up come-on. If there isn't one, I think most consider it a sincere compliment. Some times some interesting non-sexual conversations follow. Better to get out there than live in 'what they might think', which is really our projection onto them.

Compliments... yeah I get them now and then. The rate they come in depends on where I am. Which also usually determines why they are making the compliment.

The Flickr compliments seem more sincere, which may just be how I see them. Lots of the SL compliments are just part of the guy's (...gal's) game. Still, I consider being hit on a compliment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, asteriddle said:

If I IM someone out of the blue to compliment them on their avie, I package it like "Hi, just wanted to tell you that I love what you did with your avatar, I especially like <the_thing_I_like>. That's really all I wanted to say, I hope you have a wonderful day!"
Sometimes that leads to a further conversation, and sometimes it goes unresponded to. Either way I get to tell someone I like their avie 🙂 

• Like 4

Its rare that anyone comments on my appearance, either positive or negative, but a few months ago a guy said to me that he thought my shape was the best-proportional shape he'd ever seen on a Gianni body. Given that I made my shape myself, that made me feel good. 

28 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Me: "*rambling random stuff about friend's store building and how I like the style*"
Friend: "I'm sorry that your avatar is fat."

... that's how Friend became an ex-friend and a /´%)" §)=?!and how I got convinced that trying to be, blegh, nice is a waste of time.

This is my other girl alt, whose shape I also made myself:

51404654441_edc197dd76_b.jpg

Anyone who tells her she's "fat" will get a pointy boot in the rear end and a mouthful of her considered opinions.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 6

On 8/26/2021 at 9:11 PM, Muffinstuff said:

Many of us spend a significant amount of time and money customizing our avatars, and another thread has me wondering. Good or bad, how many of you all receive comments on your avatar? I often receive feedback on my height (6'2') and that I need to be taller. I politely disagree with them ;). 

Men: hey nice avi, wanna sex?
Women: omg you’re so cute (always to other women)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.