New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"The ESRB states that the label “In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items)” will “be assigned to all games that include purchases with any randomized elements, including loot boxes, gacha games, item or card packs, prize wheels, treasure chests, and more”.[2] PEGI states that the label “Paid Random Items” will apply where there are “in-game offers to purchase digital goods or premiums where players don’t know exactly what they are getting prior to the purchase (e.g. loot boxes, card packs, prize wheels)”.[3] Both the ESRB and PEGI will continue to label games with in-game purchases (but without randomized transactions) with an “In-Game Purchases” label."  ---- compiled together for easy understanding, unless there was a more recent change ? Found here https://www.fasken.com/en/knowledge/2020/06/1-games-that-offer-loot-boxes-will-be-clearly-labelled    Not sure why SL can't just do the same. This is something that applies to SO many games.

Edited by Moonrise Azalee

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

That's not a law in the US. Just because Canadians are in SL doesn't mean that LL has to do Canada's prosecuting for them. LL is a private company. A Canadian prosecutor would have to attempt this, and there would have to be a reason and a precedent. Not seeing it. This advisory is from 2010, and SL had 11 years of gatcha after that. Next.

I'm not hearing any US lawyers or prosecutors in this thread but a lot of Internet lawyers.

No, that is a describtion of an illegal gambling device under the Carlifornian Gambling Law. I believe, correction, I am sure that the headquarters of Linden Labs are situated in California.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caprisin said:

read the flowchart .. Anything that has a value and chance. 

Read my past post again, since trade cards and toys from blind bags have value thanks to collectors... And its a chance on what you get. They are illegal gambling devices .. Like I said you can't pick and choose .. Its all or nothing,

I think most folks would find that a little simplistic. We're not likely to get a EU regulation banning the (often quoted in this thread) gumball machines. It's a matter of gradation. A line will be drawn. We can pretty much guarantee that gumball machines and those toys in bubbles will be on one side of it, and Lootboxes and gacha will be on the other.

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

As far as I know, LL doesn't have servers abroad any more. They closed their offices in Europe and Asia long ago.

Still LL has to collect the EU's VAT as long as they offer their service in the EU.
So I guess they have to comply with all kinds of other international rules as well to keep SL open for an international public.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Alan Cyr said:

If you look at the law, then 7Seas is illegal, Raffles are Illegal, Auctions are Illegal, all carnival games are Illegal..... What are we left with, there can be no chance at anything, everything must be known.

Edited by Drakkhis
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

thats also what i thought since it basicly would count as gacha since:

- it HAS a rarety system

- you have to buy bate to get the more rare fishes

- IF you even GET a fish is random

- WHICH fish you get is also random

And we are talking about 7seas, a super old (but still nice) fishing game in sl god dang it...

Is there a way to sell the fish? Honest question.

16 minutes ago, Magnek Fang said:

Well, that's a bomb drop.

There's a whole bunch of avatars that are only available as Gacha, and they were a cheap way of becoming a cute critter. What's gonna happen to those?

there are tons of items - including avi's - that can make someone look cute af without being a gacha.  and gacha's aren't cheap when the person wants one specific item (and not always rare or ultra) and they are dropping sometimes hundred of DOLLARS/EURO'S on linden in order to get the item.  

Also, the fact that this will stop home and decor stores from releasing items as no copy (cause yeah, one patch of grass is all i need) is brilliant (and i mean they still could in their store but they would be blasted across the universe if they did that).

Want to sell things one item at a dang time cheaply so it's more about quantity - join a weekend sales event.  People can pick exactly what they want and you're stlil selling it for 75L.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alan Cyr said:

yes. as much as i remember i could sell it. its no mod/no copy but its trans like every gacha item - and they basicly count as collactables since they are tones of fishes.

This was inevitable given the crackdown on loot boxes in other games. I can't say I'm upset. I've always hated the randomness when there is an item I wanted to buy. I also hated that most of the items were no copy/no mod. Kudos to the sellers that allowed exchanging an item for one with those perms. Far more often I encountered creators who acted like I had crapped on their shoes when I asked if that was possible. I expect some creators will pack up and leave and for others they will raise prices to levels that are actually fair for the items they made.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

This was inevitable given the crackdown on loot boxes in other games. I can't say I'm upset. I've always hated the randomness when there is an item I wanted to buy. I also hated that most of the items were no copy/no mod. Kudos to the sellers that allowed exchanging an item for one with those perms. Far more often I encountered creators who acted like I had crapped on their shoes when I asked if that was possible. I expect some creators will pack up and leave and for others they will raise prices to levels that are actually fair for the items they made.

did you srsly ask for fair prices for items which were normaly created to be random? Srs wake up call but: i doubt that will be the case. such gacha items which were created to be random IN MIND will end up heavly overpriced...

Edited by Faly Breen
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alan Cyr said:

Yes, they are transferable, and if I remember correctly, there are rare, ultrarare, etc breeds of fish as well as individual items you can collect and then use to create a whole new item, like parts to build a boat, i think?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadowed Luik said:

Yes, they are transferable, and if I remember correctly, there are rare, ultrarare, etc breeds of fish as well as individual items you can collect and then use to create a whole new item, like parts to build a boat, i think?

yes, blueprints and materials are also a thing you could cast/catch in 7seas as well as rare clothes (for LL bodys but still) and other stuff next to fishes like actual fishfinders or a battlecrab to make your own mini tournamet.

2 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

did you srsly ask for fair prices for items which were normaly created to be random? Srs wake up call but: i doubt that will be the case. such gacha items which were created to be random IN MIND will end up heavly overpriced...

Then they won't sell and/or other creators will make similar items to compete.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.