New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Not when everything you buy from now on 100% no-modify.

I don't buy no mod/no copy items as a rule. If the gacha sellers want to compete with the non-gacha sales model, they will either adapt or go away.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

Except when you buy a breedable, you know what you're getting. Breeding itself doesn't cost anything and is totally voluntary on the part of the owner so not the same thing at all.

Not "specifically".  If I buy a KittyCats from another person, then I do know what I am buying - assuming it is not from a Gacha vending machine.  However, if I buy a new kitty box from the KittyCats store, all I can do is select the gender.  I do not know what fur/eyes/ears/tail/etc.... that I will be getting -- not even the dominant showing traits.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

i would rather buy a gacha item from one "good" creator where i know the item will at least end up in "good" quality.

Which is a falacy. Due to the volume requirements, gachas in SL have to be produced as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

4 hours ago, Bridge McMahon said:

What would have prompted this ruling and seems there will be a lot less revenue for Linden's from the sales, resales and events so it must be a good one. 

4 hours ago, Evola Courtois said:

I don't keep up with this stuff that closely, but from what I've read Europe is looking to crack down more on addictive gameplay(which is not quite the same as "gambling" imo), but I presume that's the regulatory climate they're referring to, and was only a matter of time. Or the regulations could be something more closely related to Tilia.

Best answer so far is this from someone in a group: "I honestly believe that this wasn't a decision LL wanted to make but were rather forced as gambling is illegal in a lot of countries so its either ban gachas or ban accounts accessing sl from those countries... we would all make the same choice if we were LL" and this warning from New World Notes back in June https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2021/06/expect-a-real-life-crack-down-on-second-life-gachas-says-lawyer.html?fbclid=IwAR2wGJrNdX7gaysBThsNl5dS6yPOO3yixI3Wf8rUWOLlj5dki4isRMusA-c

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HeatherLaShae said:

I agree 100%. If you thought you paid a lot when it was gacha, just you wait.

Unless people agree NOT to pay such huge prices and force them to lower the prices they will end up costing more than the Gacha's ever did.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2

i don't see how Gacha's are a form of Gambling when alot of places have Sploders and there more Gambling then Gacha's are Gacha's you know what your getting and for a cheep price its like Horses they have photos of what you can and cant get from them how will one's who have such things be able to make Linden if you are taking away how they make Money in Second Life 

2 hours ago, belladonna Wexhome said:

there are tons of items - including avi's - that can make someone look cute af without being a gacha.  and gacha's aren't cheap when the person wants one specific item (and not always rare or ultra) and they are dropping sometimes hundred of DOLLARS/EURO'S on linden in order to get the item.  

Also, the fact that this will stop home and decor stores from releasing items as no copy (cause yeah, one patch of grass is all i need) is brilliant (and i mean they still could in their store but they would be blasted across the universe if they did that).

Want to sell things one item at a dang time cheaply so it's more about quantity - join a weekend sales event.  People can pick exactly what they want and you're stlil selling it for 75L.

I agree. I am absolutely in favor of LL's decision. Gacha are the plague and people have been taking advantage of this system way too long. I did buy some and it is a more frustrating experience than it is pleasant in my opinion. How many times I wanted to buy something I've seen on someone else in world, just to end up in front of a gacha machine and abandon the idea because I knew very well that I would probaby spend way more than I was ready for. Or find it on MP for a price that is insane because 1. The person selling it probably spent too much on it as well. 2. RARE is written on it. (Not all the time I know, but most of the time)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I notice a lot of people saying that gachas were a scam. No, they were not a scam. Everyone who played knew what they were getting - a CHANCE to get a rare item. LL is only following international laws to protect their business - as they should do. If the laws were not changing, LL would surely leave it alone. Personally, I enjoyed the gachas. I will be sad to see them go. But I am sure the more creative creators will find new ways to market their creations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crim Mip said:

I don't buy no mod/no copy items as a rule. If the gacha sellers want to compete with the non-gacha sales model, they will either adapt or go away.

no coz people which created gachas will now either do one of the followed things:

(Lets go with a sample and say a gacha creator made super good small avatars so lets keep that in mind)

- The creator will create different versions which will end up heavly overpriced since now you actually can CHOOSE which version you want (think about a card game where the super rare cards are also super expensive...)

- The creator will only do half-baked avatars now since its not anymore worth it anymore since the income is literally lower than before

- the creator will only create super limited versions of the avatars he made before, maybe just 1-3 version of the before 12 versions.

and for all of that will be said that the prices will sure rise - i mean as i said, a card game which has rare cards in it are also sold mostly overprices, keep that in mind.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ATHENA1978 said:

i don't see how Gacha's are a form of Gambling when alot of places have Sploders and there more Gambling then Gacha's are Gacha's you know what your getting and for a cheep price its like Horses they have photos of what you can and cant get from them how will one's who have such things be able to make Linden if you are taking away how they make Money in Second Life 

SECOND. LIFE. WAS. NOT. MEANT. FOR. PEOPLE. TO. MAKE. A. LIVING. ON.  

that's what people do NOT get.  The fact that LL lets people cash OUT of LL is the Luxury.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, belladonna Wexhome said:

that's what people do NOT get.  The fact that LL lets people cash OUT of LL is the Luxury.   

IF that was true there would not be so many ways to make money in SL. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, belladonna Wexhome said:

Tell that to the Land Barons

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Which is a falacy. Due to the volume requirements, gachas in SL have to be produced as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

i duno if you know avatars like the ones from Nutbusterz which creates super cute gacha avatars and are heavily animated, have a working battle system, have handdrawn/created textures and use full functional AOs ever saw (not making avertising here but im making a point here) but...i guess you never saw them.

Edited by Faly Breen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Torric Rodas said:

I predict that people will change their machines to show the next 5 or 6 prizes in sequence, meaning that you have to pay the Gacha a known amount of times to get the big prize, or elect not to play at all if the prize you want is not shown.

If you knew the sequence of prizes, would this obviates the 'random chance' element and therefore make it 'legal'?

Furthermore if you display the next 5 prizes only and the big prize is actually 20 turns away, you could still say that those buying the 5 on display, still knew exactly what they were buying.  Thus its no longer a game of chance.

Actually you could just show the 'now' and 'next' prize in a hover text..  up to the resident if they want to buy it, and move ever closer to the big prize?

Would that be a solution?

That's actually pretty creative and might be enough to pass the test. Nothing says every item being sold has to be available all the time, just that when you spend the L's, you know what you'll get that specific time. Eventually the 'big' prize would show up and likely whomever was buying at that point would buy the ones in front to get it. Essentially it would do the dice roll prior to the sale instead of after. This would still eliminate a lot of fluff items since who's going to pay for crap if they know they will be getting crap.

• Like 2

OMFG FINALLY!!!! FINALLY now we get to just BUY what we want, instead of spending gazillions to buy that rare arse item those of less than optimal luck can never achieve!!!!

But speaking of fatpacks, the next BS that needs to stop is "special items only in fatpacks". But that's way far beyond LL's reach, I suppose. They cannot control human greed.

As a customer AND creator BOTH, I do not like either sales methods, but right now my friends and I are celebrating this victory. Creators will create nice things and put them AT THE STORE... where we don't need to buy 90 items we don't want, and spend a small fortune attempting to get the one we do want, when we could just buy that one we wanted for a fair price in first place.

Yep... short of winning on some sort of (nonexistent) SL lotto, I couldn't be any happier.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

This is a US based company with no offices any more in Asia or Europe. A German law cannot be enforced on US soil.

Not exactly, but Germany can ban its citizens from accessing SL at all.  The UK would be next.

7 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

"why are you here?"

"Murder."

"i see. And you, tuff guy?"

"raping someone."

"ah...and you over there?"

"Sold gacha items in Second life."

Nope. Wouldn't be the resident content creators going to jail. It would be Patch, and whoever is the next CEO.

2 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

Except when you buy a breedable, you know what you're getting. Breeding itself doesn't cost anything and is totally voluntary on the part of the owner so not the same thing at all.

My guess is that the initial sale of starter pets will have to change, so they are either free, or have known traits. 

Offspring are not entirely random; they inherit traits from their parents. If you mix up your pairings and study the offspring over time, you can work out the hidden traits. So I don't think the breeding process would need to change (unless there are breedables which truly are random offspring and don't have any kind of inheritance mechanism - those might have to change, but that does not apply to KittyCats or Amarettos).  What will definitely have to stop is the random bundle barrels, where you pay to get a random baby bundle.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, belladonna Wexhome said:

over 15 years to late for that. a lot people DOES make a living out of it, telling them "now" would actualy force them to leave SL and go to similar "games" like VRchat. So if LL would literally call them out to "not" make a living anymore from what they earn in SL, guess how much WILL be left anymore from SL in 2 years. NOTHING.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So, I see that a lot of people on here don't like gachas. I have never played a gacha machine. I say to each their own. I do have them in my store, but I make very little from them. All items on them were made by Feelgood Trip, and his ex wife. I could sell them on the MP, and Caspervend, and I might make more money. But everything is set for transfer, no copy. So I may have to change the perms. But I still don't know where LL is saying changes in  legislation. What  legislation? I don't know of any new rules for prize machines.

It looks like Second Life is just like real life. Too many busy bodies.

Just now, Laylah Yaseotoko said:

People are acting like there is only Gachas to buy. If someone has everything they sell in Gachas it's time for them to conduct business the other way, other than that I am not really seeing a loss.

again in some cases i can understand that but some businesses actually have to run on such systems like collecting cards or similar. Srsly, tell me HOW else will you sell "random card drops" in booster packs if they are not suppost to be random?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.