New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Community Manager

For details about our new policy change regarding gacha, read our blog post

For further questions, please join the conversation in this post. 

***UPDATE: Due to the sheer volume of responses, it will be difficult for us to attempt to answer all questions in this thread in a systematic way, so we will put put together an FAQ and update the main blog post with it shortly.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 20
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 12

Wow, let the screaming begin.  The end of the month seems awfully short!  What about places like the Arcade which are ALL gacha?  That isn't nearly long enough for them to change gears.  I hardly have any so as a merchant this really wont affect me but I am really feeling sorry for those for whom it is a major revenue stream.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

So Kudos to the person that comes out with the Normal Vendor and sells the actual product pictured on vendor face and calls it Gotcha, I guess.

I don't understand yet how this violated gaming, I haven't read that mess since like 2011, 12 maybe but I DID enjoy Gachas and thought it was a pretty cool marketing tool in SL, but like pretty much everything else over the years, Did and use to, seem to be the most used descriptives when it comes to marketplace. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

goodness.. this seems so extreme. I have several gacha Hair out .. if I understand correctly, people can resell gachas that have already been purchased but we cant use gacha machines to see them anymore -- is that correct? But we can sell items that were once in gachas as long as they are in clearly marked vendors so people know what they are buying??

Did the higher powers somehow decide that gachas are too much like gambling? is that the reason behind this?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Anabelle Marquis said:

can we break apart our gachas and sell regularly?

Yep, they're not stopping regular selling of things. It's the sales method ending, not the items. I really hope people do this as I liked all the little pets and weird things people put in gachas. I'd pay more to get copy/no trans versions of the ones I really want rather than having to go random for a transfer one.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bridge McMahon said:

What would have prompted this ruling and seems there will be a lot less revenue for Linden's from the sales, resales and events so it must be a good one. 

gachas are gambling, just as are lootboxes in mobile games.
That's illegal according to the law of several countries LL operates in, and seriously frowned upon in many others.

What surprises me is how it took them so long. Maybe they finally got a cease and desist letter from the EU.

• Like 36
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

This is going to irreparably harm a massive portion of the incredibly dedicated and hardworking creative community of this game that earns your company it's income. You owe them at least a reason. Livelihoods will be harmed and a month is not long enough. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bridge McMahon said:

What would have prompted this ruling and seems there will be a lot less revenue for Linden's from the sales, resales and events so it must be a good one. 

As I understand it, there are legal issues here, or coming very soon, in several large jurisdictions domestically and  internationally in which SL operates. Their hand is basically forced here, don't blame them.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

For people who haven't been paying much attention to the gaming atmosphere...

Government regulatory bodies have been criticially eyeing loot boxes as the gambling mechanisms they are and starting to enforce new regulations on them in various countries; and gachas are, basically, the exact same thing as a loot box.

So, I would imagine that is what is behind this decision. It's better to be ahead of the curve than behind it.

• Like 40
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

I don't keep up with this stuff that closely, but from what I've read Europe is looking to crack down more on addictive gameplay(which is not quite the same as "gambling" imo), but I presume that's the regulatory climate they're referring to, and was only a matter of time. Or the regulations could be something more closely related to Tilia.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.