New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Krow Ames said:

Lots of opinions here.

The reality is, this change is unneeded unless your local grocery store is also going to get rid of their quarter machines in the front. It is exactly the same concept. Like it or not, gacha is huge. You are made aware before you ever spend money that you only have a chance to get one of the items. The only people that agree with this change are the ones that want items from gachas, but don't want to play the game.

Content creators should absolutely make money for their hard work. They were taking a chance as well. The super cool rare item that's probably worth 500 or more? They're risking that you'll get it for a single 25L roll and be on your way. This change does nothing but limit people. It adds nothing and removes a choice. Let people be free and make their own choices on where to spend their money.

I am sorry to tell you this, but they are still making money for their hardwork on regular sales items. Its like you seem to think that Gachas, are their only means of income or that their hardwork on their regular sales items is somehow invalid 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ok do this instead...

Have a conveyor belt of set items..in a set numerical order..  lets say AF's  The  Cabin set.. ..  :) 

The conveyor belts NEXT ITEM can be  bought and can be displayed.. it tells you its the Cabin bed... you know what the next item is and you have a choice to buy it... or you wait.. or come back till that item changes.... ie someone else comes along and wants that item... they buy it so the next item on the  conveyor belts comes along..  so you then have a choice to keep buying the items in turn..  :)  Viola you can afford the whole set in one day or you are waiting.... 

Edited by ConnieG Sorbet

12 minutes ago, mmmlisi4ka said:

It is very profitable for LL to stop gacha machines, when the creators will transfer their items to the MP, and almost all transactions will pass through the MP,  LL will receive their 10 percent.

As opposed to the USD $229/month for the price of a region or $350/month for a "skill gaming" region.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

The problem is actually being dealt with, the fact it negatively impact gacha resellers is not a bug, it is a feature.

Gamblers do have fun while they gamble their all their savings away, people also have fun in skinner boxes. An item you have no use for is "not getting anything back".

Supply & demand, if there is no demand, the value of a product is effectively zero.

No if the problem were being directly dealt with then the few key people/companies causing the problem would be dealt with directly. This is a blanket they just assume that its all being done and handled in the same way so instead of targeting those actually causing the problem its better just to smack it all down at once, which again can have an outward ripple.  Secondly  not everyone who gambles is intent on gambling their life savings away, that implies that everyone's gonna be addicted to gambling, which is purely not the case and there is plenty of evidence to show that gambling addicts only make up a small portion of those who gamble. Just because the item is of no use to you doesnt mean you cant sell it, garage sales have existed for a long time in the real world and gacha resells exist within SL, your pretty much reselling something you dont want. or just like in the real world you could simply toss it out. It doesnt mean that item doesnt hold value it just means that item doesnt hold value to you.

• Like 1

This is Absolutely ABSURD!! your buying  a product  from the Machine , there are Hundreds of Creators who rely on this Money to make New products we all love!! I don't see it as gambling {period} its not like the dang Fish bowls where it to me is gambling . there your not guaranteed money back.!!  With gacha you are buying something!! I see the Creators soon leaving after this crap!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

I haven't read the whole thread but my only question is what happens to gatchas that are inworld and the makers have gone and the store is a zombie?

Also, I feel sad that a lot of the stuff that was in gatcha will probably just go away.

Anybody have an answer to my question?

2 minutes ago, Caprisin said:

Loot boxes got branded as gachas cause mobile companies wanted to be slick and try to trick people... And frankly it worked as I see so many in this thread trying to link gacha and loot boxes together .. WHICH are different even though there is still a chance for said items.

Gachas have always been up front with a insert or picture of what you get

Might get.

It's not guaranteed, therefore you're taking a chance. That's gambling.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, ConnieG Sorbet said:

Ok do this instead...

Have a conveyor belt of set items.. lets say AF's  The  Cabin set.. ..  :) 

The conveyor belts NEXT ITEM can be  bought and can be displayed.. it tells you its the Cabin bed... you know what the next item is and you have a choice to buy it... or you wait.. or come back till that item changes.... ie someone else comes along and wants that item... they buy it so the next item on the  conveyor belts comes along..  so you then have a choice to keep buying the items in turn..  :)  Viola you can afford the whole set in one day or you are waiting.... 

I'm in the corner of the region, cammed and camping your machine, i have the pay dialog open and I'm poised to snipe the item you want. There are 10 other people doing the same.

think locking the machine to the last user for a time period will help .. not on a region where scripts are lagged out and it's going to take 20 minutes to process refunds.

If you think gacha's are sucky now, this is going to be much worse.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Sikara Denver said:

what gonna happen to the gachas that are on our MP???? Do we need to remove them all too??

It was stated in the blog post and many times in this thread --- NO you do not need to remove them.  If people know EXACTLY what they are paying for, you can sell it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm doing my best not to say it. 

I'm happy to say I was wrong about LL's ability to become skittish in "climate change" as distinct from law, but I will point out that gloating about this now means taking glee in real harm to creators, many of whom make a living in SL. When the gambling law induced an end to chance gambling, only partially mitigated by "games of skill", and the policy to end banks and stock markets and such went down, some people including war veterans and people in impoverished third-world countries lost their livelihoods. I can't be happy about that even though I want LL to abide by the law and enforce its TOS, it's better for the economy ultimately.

• Like 2

Well, I'm glad, personally.  I just want to buy the particular item I want, and so many times there are things in gacha machines that I like but I don't want to waste a lot of time and money trying for them.  I understand that a lot of people enjoy them, but that's my take anyway.

• Like 5

Just now, Yoofaloof Pacer said:

I'd love to hear from any hardened gacha players and how it's ruined their life.

It's not ruined my life, but I have been a whale before (~1000 USD dropped on blind boxes in videogames) until I realized how wasteful it was. Never again. Swore it off entirely. Even for cheap ones in SL.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, Deathly Fright said:
21 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

I haven't read the whole thread but my only question is what happens to gatchas that are inworld and the makers have gone and the store is a zombie?

Also, I feel sad that a lot of the stuff that was in gatcha will probably just go away.

Anybody have an answer to my question?

My guess is that nothing happens until LL discovers the Gachas or someone reports them.  Then, the gacha machines will be returned to the seller by LL.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That seems like the perfect answer for all gatcha merchants.  I honestly don't see the problem.  I haven't purchase much of anything from a gatcha in ages.  I have actually purchased the fat pack on a few when that was an option.  Throwing money at something to get that illusive rare?  How about just selling it at a higher price?  That is, if it's not junk which quite a few are.

I also have bought a fatpack of all the gacha items when it is available. The message I want to send content creators is that I would rather pay more for one individual item I want, rather than endlessly (and sometimes fruitlessly) play a gacha machine.

On a related note, I *did* finally go drop some Lindens at few of the gachas at my friend's gallery, and I am quite happy with the results! So I think we should expect a boom in gacha sales during August...particularly for those retailers who choose to shut down over this decision, as my gallery/store-owning friend is thinking of doing in response to this.

statues.png

Silas.png

Nefertari bust.png

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aili Panthar said:

I understand LL hands are tied and they are going along with rules and regulations of various countries. I'm not mad at them. But I enjoy gachas. Yes, it can be addictive but it’s not dangerous. It’s not like gambling in real life. I’m not gonna go into debt and take out a loan from the mafia and end up dead when I can’t pay it back over gachas. It’s pixels. You understand when you buy one, you’re gonna get a random item and there's a risk involved that it might not be one you want. It’s not abusive, exploitative, or harming anyone. It's fun in the same way when you would get a random toy from a cereal box.

I also think there’s a huge difference between a small business creator in Second Life selling gachas to other adults, and some huge game corporations selling lootboxes and making millions of dollars from scamming 12 year olds who swiped their mom's credit card.

Yes and the whole thing is that Gacha is a real life thing too. It is big in Japan, Gacha is short for Gachapon.

gachas are so freaking fun because you never know what you will get and is the same that trying bad food, is just an experience that gives you something to laugh about and to tell about, it is to sad that won't be allowed anymore, cus is the same as everything "you don't like it, then don't buy it" but for people like me who likes it, i won't be able to buy it u.u  well... i still have a month to spend my salary on them :v cus i freaking like it and i don't give a fk about it, that's what i work for... to spend in whatever i like :D

Edited by monykony
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jaydenAlexis said:

This is Absolutely ABSURD!! your buying  a product  from the Machine , there are Hundreds of Creators who rely on this Money to make New products we all love!! I don't see it as gambling {period} its not like the dang Fish bowls where it to me is gambling . there your not guaranteed money back.!!  With gacha you are buying something!! I see the Creators soon leaving after this crap!! 

It doesn't matter what you see it as. It matters what it is.

As for creators leaving, why? They get to make all the money from an item, rather than voucher touts grabbing it all. It's more money for them, not less.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.