New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Alan Cyr said:

"It's the law in places we operate and we need to comply"?

15 minutes ago, RexBoye said:

Then let's hear it straight from the horses mouth, not willing to speculate when folks livelihoods are at stake. 

What else does the first sentence of the blog post mean?

Due to a changing regulatory climate, we’ve had to make the difficult decision to sunset a very popular sales mechanism for content in Second Life.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Aili Panthar said:

I understand LL hands are tied and they are going along with rules and regulations of various countries. I'm not mad at them. But I enjoy gachas. Yes, it can be addictive but it’s not dangerous. It’s not like gambling in real life. I’m not gonna go into debt and take out a loan from the mafia and end up dead when I can’t pay it back over gachas. It’s pixels. You understand when you buy one, you’re gonna get a random item and there's a risk involved that it might not be one you want. It’s not abusive, exploitative, or harming anyone. It's fun in the same way when you would get a random toy from a cereal box.

I also think there’s a huge difference between a small business creator in Second Life selling gachas to other adults, and some huge game corporations selling lootboxes and making millions of dollars from scamming 12 year olds who swiped their mom's credit card.

I am actually right there with you, but at the same time...when you buy lindens...arent you essentially getting nothing back...well nothing tangible XD

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dima Plessis said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give creators more time. This is making a lot of work for gacha creators to update their products to comply with the new policy, not to mention several events that sell gachas will either have to change their events or close entirely. Please give creators more time to adjust.

update what?... they can simply sell it under the current settings, just not longer as chance to get it...

• Like 7

I agree with people saying it’s very short notice they could’ve done the announcement earlier , I’ve heard rumbles about this for a while now. But for someone that has made huge gachas , it was fun while it lasted but I do feel it has run its course, I already had decided last Halloween was our final gacha so this comes at a good timing for me personally.I feel bad for the ppl that make a living off it but who knows , every end has a new beginning :) 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, meowmeowzer said:

A gacha machine has prizes that are more and less valuable.

Based on desire. Because the creator puts "RARE" on it does not mean it's the most desirable item in the gacha. If a kid wants the blue gumball rather than the red one, the blue one is now more valuable. So now we have to regulate the level of desire? This is absolutely absurd. You're reaching for straws to justify your hardline stance against gambling. How authoritarian of you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

As a consumer this is great news to me. I got in to the habit of giving myself maybe 1k for gachas and that's my mark. If I don't get what I want.. oh well. It's supremely irritating to get the same piece from a gacha machine 6/10 pulls, and then it won't resell on top of it. You basically just throw money away at that point.

I feel for honest gacha makers(who's odds are not set stupidly low on their machines), but as a whole I will not be sad to see these things go.

Edit: So will this also affect Powder Pack? Since you are moreso than not told what you are getting, but only who it's from.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Yep, they're not stopping regular selling of things. It's the sales method ending, not the items. I really hope people do this as I liked all the little pets and weird things people put in gachas. I'd pay more to get copy/no trans versions of the ones I really want rather than having to go random for a transfer one.

I agree with this completely. 

• Like 2

People are blaming LL for this, but do you really think that they'd turn down free money?  This has to be a decision that was made for them by some regulatory body.

Gacha probably falls under the same umbrella as lootboxes in some countries.  Someone probably finally noticed this and sent LL a strongly worded letter and a delightful fine to pay.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

This wasn't completely unexpected, but please give creators more time to remove and rework their gacha content.

Consider that some creators have hundreds of gachas (not gacha items, gacha machines). Without the proper time to repackage their items, creators could remove their gacha items for sale entirely instead of keeping content available on SL- this could be a huge loss of content for consumers.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, DeeJay Peapod said:

With most gachas they provide a picture correct? ergo by that thought, you can see what you have a chance of getting, its not like they are taking your money and not giving anything in return you are still getting something back. and with all things if you want it bad enough youll do it anyways...or you can just scour the market for resellers...its not the gacha fault or the creator...."predatory gachas" falls down to the person who decided to play or not to play the machine. sometimes its just the thrill of it...

lol just start making normal packs and stop shaking down whales

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Just now, Alex Carpenter said:

Good riddance to this horrible sales tactic.

Couldn't agree more.

I do feel sympathy however for those who became dependent on gacha sales, and hope they transition successfully to new and better ventures.

• Like 4

But other adult stuff is still okay in SL?  Sorry, but this is lame.  Rather enjoyed gachas.  Everyone knows that you only play the ones where you like everything you could possibly win, and you just resell stuff you got extras of.  This is likely to devalue the stuff reselling.  ...Now I'm wondering who to thank for invading my reality escape, the pandemic or the newer generation?  Oi.  Someone come up with a fun work around before I replay the Half-Baked scene where he quits, yet again!  🤪🤣

Edited by MajikVixen Lorefield
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sora Cyclone said:

People are blaming LL for this, but do you really think that they'd turn down free money?  This has to be a decision that was made for them by some regulatory body.

Gacha probably falls under the same umbrella as lootboxes in some countries.  Someone probably finally noticed this and sent LL a strongly worded letter and a delightful fine to pay.

lmao LL doesnt get paid for gacha machines....they get paid for the mesh and texture uploads and thats where it ends so unless a reseller is putting it on the MP 

• Like 1

Personally, I won't miss them. I especially won't miss having my Marketplace search results cluttered up with 6 zillion gacha resale items that only vary a tiny bit from each other, or have three or four vendors selling the same things for different prices.

I understand why LL is doing this, and I'm sure they wouldn't be if their hands weren't being forced by governments. Don't like it? Complain at the governments banning loot boxes.

As for creators selling this way: guess you have to find another way to market your product.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Not when everything you buy from now on 100% no-modify.

Tbh I veeeery rarely ever need that Modify option, so this wouldn't put a damper on my SL personally. Feel for those it would. I think the only things I ever want to modify are tinting hairs(a few creators just have bad color selections in their huds).

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.