Are we all being too nice ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I get most of y'all are older, but this ageist crap needs to stop.

So since reactions apparently require an explanation now .. I only did the 'sad' one to complete the deck!

02bd778c71a35db1069dc92b0446181a.png

2 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

It is because we are dealing with young people with immature minds and short attention spans. they could be those who hated to read books in school.

I'm confused as to how you find it okay to point fingers at random groups of people who you perceive to displease you, whilst preaching about how impolite people are. If a person consistently find themselves in flame wars and drama, chances are they themselves are the cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

So since reactions apparently require an explanation now .. I only did the 'sad' one to complete the deck!

I'm confused as to how you find it okay to point fingers at random groups of people who you perceive to displease you, whilst preaching about how impolite people are. If a person consistently find themselves in flame wars and drama, chances are they themselves are the cause.

You're a bit older than my son.  You remind me a bit of him actually.  You're both quite well spoken and polite when required.  He also doesn't keep quiet when he sees things are not as they seem.  A sense of humor can also be misjudged in a text only environment and humor doesn't always translate well from one country to another.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Wait! Wait. Wait...

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, there was a saying that went something like this:

I am NOT addicted! YOU are! Every time I get online, YOU are there!

Does that about sum it up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago [...]

I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there to point out that I wouldn't know, as I wasn't around a long, long time ago .. Ha, the forums make me feel so young! .. Well until the twenty year olds show up looking for other twenty year olds and you're about to say 'Hi I just turned 20!' but then you realise that was a decade ago. Oof.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

imagine how it feels when it's over 3.5 decades :)

Well it's half a decade until I know what three and a half decades even feel like .. 

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there to point out that I wouldn't know, as I wasn't around a long, long time ago .. Ha, the forums make me feel so young! .. Well until the twenty year olds show up looking for other twenty year olds and you're about to say 'Hi I just turned 20!' but then you realise that was a decade ago. Oof.

Ah, then you're a bit older than I thought.  You mentioned Pokemon and Harry Potter in the other thread so I assumed.  Shame on me.  I guess I got into Potter when my step daughter was about 9 or 10 so she's closer to your age.  Either way, I stand by my assessment that you're a well-spoken young man.  (Yeah, even saying that makes me feel old)

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Orwar said:
3 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

It is because we are dealing with young people with immature minds and short attention spans. they could be those who hated to read books in school.

Yeah well maybe she lashed out on that sentence but otherwise her post was good and fair.

However, it takes two to make the flame war and drama though.

I did not know Rowan was not sad.  I find it all bizarre that someone is laughing when posts are not funny and children can become neurotic or develop a neuroses because of parents with inappropriate reactions.  

It's just not needed and over-done on this forum here and that's my opinion of it especially in regards to newbies, but it doesn't mean all is inappropriate.  I've stated an instance where it was when it happened to me and how I've learned to deal with it for myself and others - it's annoying but I've learned to deal with the annoyance.  

However, if it's a troll or a troll in one's own opinion if it's not obvious, what happened to just ignoring it is also what I am saying?  Kytteh said the same - why not ignore it?

Edited by FairreLilette

7 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

If I have an opinion that governments are in cahoots with one another and we are just pawns in their game - so what.  If someone has an opposite opinion that governments are not corrupt and we are not pawns in their game - so what.  

I wrote my post because I think people over-react and generally, to me, it's a lot of drama queen/king reaction stuff that isn't necessary and also it's free speech and much of what I and others have said is not against the forum TOS either in the Community Guidelines. 

Nobody is questioning your freedom to post whatever is within the Guidelines & TOS.

However, the reaction buttons are there for us to use and there are no rules about how we use them, so we get to use them in whatever manner we want.

If I am truly confused about what someone wrote -- i.e. I flat out do not understand what they are saying -- I will used the Confused reaction.  If I understand what they are saying, but still can't figure out why they said it -- i.e. "WTH does that have to do with things? -- then I will also give the Confused reaction.

Even if points are given, I'll often still use the Laugh reaction for something along the lines of "I just cannot believe you said that" --- or it might really have been funny to me.

Similar, the Sad reaction could mean that I offer sympathy or it could simply mean that I'm sad that you think that way.

So many interpretations of things in this world.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

It is because we are dealing with young people with immature minds and short attention spans. they could be those who hated to read books in school. I recently dealt with young people complaining about Britney Spears posts on her Instagram. They only looked lengthy because of the way that IG is formatted. Yes, she does have posts that are several paragraphs, but that is called expressing your thoughts.

OK, you HAVE to be trolling 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let us not make the forums even more prone to the angries then usual. While it's (thankfully) mostly calm and way better then it apparently used to be. But when things get ugly. boy do they get ugly and it can kill engagement rather then encourage it.

As for Scorn-laughs and whatever, It certainly can happen. I've had my fair of  it happening. usually over the silliest of things. But it's certainly not a major harassment.  I just don't tend to pay it much attention. Though I can understand why some might consider it since it can quickly fill your alert messages pretty quickly.  Plus sometimes text and reacts can be pretty hard to read.Espically if you're autistic like me or just have a hard time with social cues. It's not matter of anyone particularly being wrong but rather different communication styles clashing. sometimes however...

..Some people are just calling fowl when they are the real source of harassment and bad vibes. Projection is strong with those ones and  eventually as the cool kids say. They will get "vibe-checked" and get hit with reality.  Or a mod's ban hammer,  either/or.

Also geeze, while I'm glad the main source got their posts scrubbed off the thread. some folks really gotta lay off the ageism. I think there is one thing all of us can agree on through experience is that stupidity knows no age.  It's not restricted to just the young or just the old. 🤣

Edited by Robin Kiyori
  • Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Modern social media is driven by engagement.

It's the primary metric of a successful platform.

Every other platform generates engagement by pitting users against each other.

As much as we might dislike drama, it's addictive and engaging as all hell.

What would engineered friction in SL even look like? 

if the point of engineered friction/drama is to generate income/wealth for the platform owner and their users then by this measure the most successful mechanism in SL for this was land cutting and ad farming on the mainland

when this was disallowed then the mainland became a way less drama environment and consequentially less wealth generating

in a time before that then the drama between the settlers and the badlanders in the beginning times when due to lack of land the settlers went over the wall and began settling in the badlands

and then before that prim hoarding

land and the resources it provides is the biggest friction/drama and wealth generating thing. Same RL same SL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

You make me feel like I'm robbing the cradle. 🤭

• Like 2

By the way this keeps getting dragged back to the forums (and post reactions, omg), I'm starting wonder how many here have zero interest in any kind if social interaction in world and use the forums to plug that hole.

There used to be a saying about the World of Warcraft forums. Those happy with the game are in the game playing the game, those who aren't are on the forums.

Maybe it's time to shutter general discussion on the forums entirely for the sake of in world engagement! Just think of all the trouble we could be causing in world!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

By the way this keeps getting dragged back to the forums (and post reactions, omg), I'm starting wonder how many here have zero interest in any kind if social interaction in world and use the forums to plug that hole.

There used to be a saying about the World of Warcraft forums. Those happy with the game are in the game playing the game, those who aren't are on the forums.

Maybe it's time to shutter general discussion on the forums entirely for the sake of in world engagement! Just think of all the trouble we could be causing in world!

I mostly use the forums for those times when I can't be inworld.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.