Are we all being too nice ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

but it can't be that simple.

Unfortunately it is. The web is overrun by preteens, teens and young adults across social media and inside SL as well. These are the ones who complain if your sentence has more than 4 words in it. Or if you write two sentences and more. I'm talking about my personal experiences.

It's rare for me to meet mature adults who cannot handle a normal and long conversation.

5 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

According to the policies of this forum, harassment is disallowed. 

That is what I do not like.

You are for inciting and harassing.

I am not and neither is the forum.

That's nice. You're also quite wrong in your assessment of both what I "am for" and how moderation is approached.

Your definition of what constitutes such is meaningless. The moderation team decides that - a good thing too.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

Disagreeing, laughing, feeling sad, liking or thanking are REACTIONS.  Simply because a person interprets them as some sort of harassment does not make it so.  If that were the case, they would simply do away with them entirely.  

Feel free to be confused or scorn laugh all you want on my posts.  I'm adult enough to take things here with a grain of salt.  Being childish would be stomping my foot and whining, "She's picking on me, Mom!"

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The moderation team decides that

There are plenty of posts on the forum, over the years, that are filled with harassment that the moderation team ignores. You have to constantly contact them to get them to open your reports or nothing is done. Unfortunately, not all companies enforce their own policies to a T.

20 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

It is because we are dealing with young people with immature minds and short attention spans. they could be those who hated to read books in school. I recently dealt with young people complaining about Britney Spears posts on her Instagram. They only looked lengthy because of the way that IG is formatted. Yes, she does have posts that are several paragraphs, but that is called expressing your thoughts.

It is why I don't like Twitter. So much censorship with word character limits.

If you don't want to read, it's not needed for you to write a rude comment.

People do it because they have the anonymity of the web. They can be mean as hell and get away with it.

Yes, people's words do get under the skin. you see it all over social media, and how it affects people in the entertainment industry as well. 

It's getting crazier out here on the wild west of the web with people attacking left and right.

I'd love it if people could be nice or not say anything if they don't like what is there.

What happened to common courtesy and politeness?

What happened to the people who enjoy length discussions, in multiple paragraphs per post?

Gone with the wind, like the classic movie, gone in the past.

I'm fine with novella posts. It's the full length novels that get me all tl:dr deer in the headlights. Be concise. Lay off the excess verbiage. Say what you mean, mean what you say. And don't just hear, listen.  That's the really important part. Actually listening and not just hearing, letting it in one ear and out the other without even making a loop.

1c7s01.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

The web is overrun by preteens, teens and young adults across social media and inside SL as well. These are the ones who complain if your sentence has more than 4 words in it. Or if you write two sentences and more. I'm talking about my personal experiences.

It's rare for me to meet mature adults who cannot handle a normal and long conversation.

Oh, I quite agree about the ills of social media, the groundswell of poor grammar and awkward writing skills, and the overall scruffiness of youth.  I was there once myself (well, not the social media part, but we had all the fun of the 60s, which makes a lot of today's idiocy seem tame).  Sadly, unlike you, I can easily find people in their 60s and beyond who carry the same baggage with them.  Even a few in these forums.  Instead of focusing on the evils of being young, I think it's probably wiser to zoom in on the behaviors themselves, regardless of who's displaying them.  

• Like 4

Let's see if you'll understand it a bit better now:

What you find to be "polite" has no meaning here. What I find to be "polite" also has no meaning here. Further one can be "polite" while still heaping the harassment or flames onto another - often seen done over a period of time/spread out across varied, unconnected posts - sometimes even done behind the scenes or external to the forum as a whole.

At one point in the past, people actually weaponized the reporting system for the forum, going so far as to throw as many posts by someone they disagreed with or simply did not like at the moderation team to see what would stick. I know - it happened to me.

So yeah, pardon me for not sharing your narrow point of view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

My sad reaction wasn't sadness or empathy.  I just didn't want to wear out my confused button.

Well, sorry, I didn't know you were being disingenuous or not sad.  I took it to mean you were sad.    

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

If there's one thing missing for user retention in Second Life, it's an episode recap button. This is like the 13 th season of a complex multiverse high school drama with spinoffs and official canon that needs a wiki to untangle.

Like, how did it get to emoji replies being harassment? Eek?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Let's see if you'll understand it a bit better now:

What you find to be "polite" has no meaning here. What I find to be "polite" also has no meaning here. Further one can be "polite" while still heaping the harassment or flames onto another - often seen done over a period of time/spread out across varied, unconnected posts - sometimes even done behind the scenes or external to the forum as a whole.

At one point in the past, people actually weaponized the reporting system for the forum, going so far as to throw as many posts by someone they disagreed with or simply did not like at the moderation team to see what would stick. I know - it happened to me.

So yeah, pardon me for not sharing your narrow point of view.

I save reporting for totally inaccurate posts.  Dangerous posts.  I'm not going to report something merely because I disagree with what they've said.  Again, it's the "I'm gonna tell MOM" mentality to report those posts.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ValKalAstra said:

If there's one thing missing for user retention in Second Life, it's an episode recap button. This is like the 13 th season of a complex multiverse high school drama with spinoffs and official canon that needs a wiki to untangle.

snowflakesf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Disagreeing, laughing, feeling sad, liking or thanking are REACTIONS.  Simply because a person interprets them as some sort of harassment does not make it so.  If that were the case, they would simply do away with them entirely.  

Feel free to be confused or scorn laugh all you want on my posts.  I'm adult enough to take things here with a grain of salt.  Being childish would be stomping my foot and whining, "She's picking on me, Mom!"

stop_touching_me.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

We need a "creative" reaction button. 🤭

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The same can be said of the expectation of being polite. Being polite has its place as does being blunt. If you cannot handle the latter, that is on you. 

Usually the way bully's think...Just sayin'

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Well, sorry, I didn't know you were being disingenuous or not sad.  I took it to mean you were sad.    

Face it...the reactions are exactly what everyone thinks they are. All this justification and explanation is BS.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Face it...the reactions are exactly what everyone thinks they are. All this justification and explanation is BS.  

I think others are trying to justify it as well because it's done to newbies who don't know the "office politics" around here with laughing at posts that are not funny for one example.  In a newbie's eyes, it's rude if not downright bizarre.  When it happened to me after writing a post about the SL specs being for the Classic avatar, it was startling and bizarre to say the very least and it went on for days.  Others simply want their own way all the while, inworld in an avatar, we have feelings but those coming to a forum apparently do not.   I'd prefer to be able to disable them altogether as they are too time consuming.  I have to do work.  I don't have time for tons of likes.  I give them out here and there as time permits, and I am the same way on FB.  I'd prefer to reply to one of my family on FB then give out likes.  I cannot give out bazillions of likes.

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.