Are we all being too nice ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think there are some issues with certain topics that cause a lot of "drama"; i.e., religion and politics especially.  Some of the politics, IMO, should have been excused though due to COVID as government took over our lives.  I have a feeling politics may not come up too much anymore as we attempt to be a more post-COVID world moving around again.   We are not completely out of the woods yet though regarding COVID, that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying governments shouldn't be as big a part of our lives as they were.

Edited by FairreLilette

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Read under my name here.  Just to clear up the confusion.  😄🤔

Its funny because nothing shows up under your name on mobile so I really was confused until I switched to desktop and was like, "oooooooh".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Its funny because nothing shows up under your name on mobile so I really was confused until I switched to desktop and was like, "oooooooh".

And it's not a WTF to be mean.  I'm rarely confused about what someone says just why they sometimes say it.  I'm sure others feel the same about things I say but I certainly take no offense at their choice to be confused or scorn laugh at me.  What a boring place RL and SL would be if we all agreed.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And it's not a WTF to be mean.  I'm rarely confused about what someone say just why they sometimes say it.  I'm sure others feel the same about things I say but I certainly take no offense at their choice to be confused or scorn laugh at me.  What a boring place RL and SL would be if we all agreed.

Yeah, honestly it did bother me at first (not enough to make a whooooole thread about it lmao) but eventually I was like, "she's either confused alot or wtf'ing" 😂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

I'm not sure it's always the case, but with English being a second language where I'm from, and with the study of English in school being focused on British English and culture (or at least was when I went to school), we had it drilled into our skulls that one should always approach a stranger with 'pardon me' and that failing to do so could be perceived as extremely impolite. Those please and thank yous may not be as prevalent in modern English either in Britain or the US as it was back in whenever my generation's teachers were given their impressions of English (60's-80's) - and what English media were available over here at that time were primarily films, which often put a high standard of eloquence and politeness in many of their characters. 

Heck, Swedish was much the same until the 'Du-reform' of the 70's, which completely ruined not just the language, but the social hierarchy. 

Anyway, personally I don't think that politeness is a bad thing, I find it rather refreshing with a proper 'how do you do', in a world of 'yo whatup's. 

I'm with you, I do appreciate politeness. But I do sense hesitance from people when it comes to making contact but then again, I could be wrong.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

And it's not a WTF to be mean

But, what is a WTF other than confused?  Usually, WTF means for example "what are you saying" or something to that effect if it's not mean.

It's like I may have said a derogatory post about all governments in general and that they are all corrupt in their own devious ways at one time and gotten a WTF reaction?  What is so WTF or surprising or strange that someone would say that at all on a message board especially when I was a newbie and there is no clause in the SL forum TOS that politics are not allowed in the off topic General Discussion area?  And, I also mentioned a few things about the stock market being all too transparently corrupt when I was new and gave my explanation which was short enough to not be a TLDR and got another WTF.   If people don't want to read what I wrote why not just scroll by?

It's not so strange that governments manipulate stock markets.  They do it every day.  Take Bitcoin which just made a bearish head and shoulders pattern on their chart right when China says it is banning Bitcoin mining in one of it's provinces'.   I do not believe China's banning was just a coincidence to form the bearish head and shoulders pattern for Bitcoin.  That head and shoulders bearish reversal pattern was all perfectly orchestrated between very rich men and leaders of countries.  It didn't just happen by accident.  But, if you don't want to read it, don't read it.  Why try to stifle free speech when it's not against the TOS?  And, that's what I feel some are doing - trying to stifle free speech and/or just be controlling.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

For me, SL is a place to go to relax and/or get creative, without having to be social. My work requires me to be social and when I get to have SL playtime, that is me time. I do get social with my small circle of awesome friends I have made in SL over the years, but we are usually voicing on Discord while we play in SL.  Why?  Discord rocks, and I always have technical problems with getting SL voice to play nice with my headsets. It's just super frustrating, so why. There may be a lot of folks who come here to be social, but there are also a lot of folks who come here to escape being social. I'd much rather explore interesting sim builds solo or with a friend I'm talking to in Discord than go to a club build. Also I suspect a lot of folks who come to SL are introverts, otherwise they would be getting their social on in RL. If I am being social, I like nice people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

But, what is a WTF other than confused?  Usually, WTF means for example "what are you saying" or something to that effect if it's not mean.

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm rarely confused about what someone says just why they sometimes say it.

Like the rest of your post below that line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I'm just too worn out to be mean or ever argue much with anyone anymore.. It takes up valuable energy, plus can put a damper on the day..

It used to be really easy for me to get sucked in, but I've been practicing a lot on just avoiding things..

There was a time though that I had to get that last word in.. hehehehe

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:
15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm rarely confused about what someone says just why they sometimes say it.

Like the rest of your post below that line.

I saw your post that said that regarding it's the why they said it.  Why do you say anything you say?

If I have an opinion that governments are in cahoots with one another and we are just pawns in their game - so what.  If someone has an opposite opinion that governments are not corrupt and we are not pawns in their game - so what.  

I wrote my post because I think people over-react and generally, to me, it's a lot of drama queen/king reaction stuff that isn't necessary and also it's free speech and much of what I and others have said is not against the forum TOS either in the Community Guidelines. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's nice. You're free to say what you like (for as long as Linden Lab says you can - no, you have no right to free speech here or anywhere that is not government owned) and others are quite free to react how they please, within the confines of the ToS and CS.

This means using the reactions in a way you personally may not like - confusion to mean a WTF, a laugh to mean something similar or to find the entire premise "amusing" (among many other meanings).

Considering the overall tone that is enforced here (and it is, despite what some may think), such reactions are among the few ways one can register such WTFs (and more) while remaining ToS/CS compliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I saw your post that said that regarding it's the why they said it.  Why do you say anything you say?

If I have an opinion that governments are in cahoots with one another and we are just pawns in their game - so what.  If someone has an opposite opinion that governments are not corrupt and we are not pawns in their game - so what.  

I wrote my post because I think people over-react and generally, to me, it's a lot of drama queen/king reaction stuff that isn't necessary and also it's free speech and much of what I and others have said is not against the forum TOS either in the Community Guidelines. 

If someone gives you a confused reaction, so what?  

Sometimes, it's just not worth the time to try and actually decipher what is being said or why someone has even brought up some off the wall off topic stuff.  My WTF is my free speech in response.  Or my sad or laugh.  How someone interprets that is up to them.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Sometimes, it's just not worth the time to try and actually decipher what is being said or why someone has even brought up some off the wall off topic stuff.  My WTF is my free speech in response.  Or my sad or laugh.  How someone interprets that is up to them.

This - infinitely.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

In one of my other posts about this though was that it is over done.  I finally read the posts of the thread that was locked as I had not read the thread before I answered in that she was being targeted, well that's how it feels at times.  Not all the time, but at times, it does.

• Like 1

Are we being too nice?

I feel that some of the "forumites" would like us to be nicey-nicey which translates to not be controversial. 

That does stifle free speech a bit here.  

However, I did not come to SL nor to go inworld to be mean in any way.  As a matter of fact, I feel mean people suck and the thing I dislike most about SL are the griefers.   

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

I feel that some of the "forumites" would like us to be nicey-nicey which translates to not be controversial. 

That does stifle free speech a bit here.

I agree.  There's a difference between disagreeing and being nasty.  In my opinion, it's a mistake to go overboard by tamping down on disagreements when what we should really be doing is getting people to use a civil tone when they disagree.

9 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

However, I did not come to SL nor to go inworld to be mean in any way.  As a matter of fact, I feel mean people suck

THIS ^^  That's why I don't usually get into forum catfights. I have better things to do with my time and blood pressure than dealing with mean people.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

In one of my other posts about this though was that it is over done.  I finally read the posts of the thread that was locked as I had not read the thread before I answered in that she was being targeted, well that's how it feels at times.  Not all the time, but at times, it does.

That locked thread was hilarious.  It was a response to me giving a post she made a confused reaction and I did explain to her why after she ranted in that thread also.   As you can tell from the locked thread, there's sometimes a valid reason for not actually engaging with certain people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.