Flexi hair. Yes or no ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like Flexi hair but agree that it looks odd clipping into your body. That's why I always chose shorter styles because it looks less like it was doing that.  

Hair is supposed to move.  I'm used to the mesh hair now but I do wish for the time that clothing can have movement as well as hair and have it look natural.  Some of the mesh long dresses are so pretty until you go dance in them and then you have this huge wire hoop around your ankles making it look silly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's the one downside to mesh.  Before, when it was all prims and sculpties, your average SL user could build something without an external program.  I do miss that at times.

Sculpts were fine for most things but I never did like how they looked when used for hair or clothing or anywhere on an avatar. Because they were static. I just could not stand seeing things like short skirts cutting your legs off at the torso joints when your avatar leaned forward. It just screamed FAKE! FAKE! Never could get past that. And when used for hair... might as well go back to using the default hair. 😱

6a00d8341bf74053ef0263e95ab4dc200b-800wi

• Sad 1

Flexi gets a thumbs up from me for certain avatars where it looks great.  I like the bouncing curls at times like Janet speaking about the Afro styles because it's fun but these avatars I'm speaking of are super low complexity they can wear it without much problem.  But, yes, flexi will add to your avi's complexity.  

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I think mesh hair looks gorgeous,

It never moves right though. It is very rare for people in RL to glue the tips of the locks of their hair onto their shoulders and arms and backs but that's the effect fitmesh hair emulates.

Flexi hair has a ton of issues but at least the locks move independently of the avatar's body and for me that's the clincher. I only use flexihair (except of course for hairstyles short enough they can be rigid) and would never even consider a fitmesh hair.

• Like 5

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Animesh hair !!

Literally another avatar on your avatars head !

I was just about to ask if anybody had tried that. It should fix the main issue with fitmesh, its dependence on the avatar's skeleton, but it still wouldn't be free flowing the way flexis can be. I don't know but it's certainly worth a try.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I was just about to ask if anybody had tried that. It should fix the main issue with fitmesh, its dependence on the avatar's skeleton, but it still wouldn't be free flowing the way flexis can be. I don't know but it's certainly worth a try.

Normal Accounts can only have a singular Animesh item attached at any given time. Premium Accounts get two.

Hair would be an absolute waste of a slot.

• Haha 1

Can animesh be scripted to follow physics or does it only work through an animation?  Also if it can work through physics, I wonder if we would have the same problem of it flowing through our bodies as we do with flexi-hair.

Edited by Istelathis

59 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It never moves right though. It is very rare for people in RL to glue the tips of the locks of their hair onto their shoulders and arms and backs but that's the effect fitmesh hair emulates.

Flexi hair has a ton of issues but at least the locks move independently of the avatar's body and for me that's the clincher. I only use flexihair (except of course for hairstyles short enough they can be rigid) and would never even consider a fitmesh hair.

I agree, but it still really looks pretty to me.  I just pretend we are back in the 80s and use a lot of mousse 🙃   

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Can animesh be scripted to follow physics or does it only work through an animation?

It only moves through animations and that's why I'm not completely convinced.

8 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I wonder if we would have the same problem of it flowing through our bodies as we do with flexi-hair.

We would.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I think a couple of creators have tried it in the past or it could just be mesh that is animated. For some reason I’m thinking Stealthic tried it. I’m pretty sure I have it in my inventory somewhere. Tried it out, tee he’d at my swinging ponytail for about five minutes, wore it once and kinda forgot about it.

6 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I think a couple of creators have tried it in the past or it could just be mesh that is animated. For some reason I’m thinking Stealthic tried it. I’m pretty sure I have it in my inventory somewhere. Tried it out, tee he’d at my swinging ponytail for about five minutes, wore it once and kinda forgot about it.

I think I have the same one you are describing here.  I didn't like the way the ponytail moved by itself in the back of the head.  It didn't look real or cute the way flexis do.  I wore it once for about five mins as well and I never wore it again.  

I can't quite remember but I think the ponytail kept moving even when my avatar stopped.  For animesh hair, it would need a way to stop and start it or it's like the blob on your head...it leaps and creeps and glides when the avi isn't moving.

EDIT:  It would probably be super laggy too.  I find animesh is very lag intense for me anyhow.

Edited by FairreLilette

10 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sculpts were fine for most things but I never did like how they looked when used for hair or clothing or anywhere on an avatar. Because they were static. I just could not stand seeing things like short skirts cutting your legs off at the torso joints when your avatar leaned forward. It just screamed FAKE! FAKE! Never could get past that. And when used for hair... might as well go back to using the default hair. 😱

6a00d8341bf74053ef0263e95ab4dc200b-800wi

Hey, that's Phillip Linden, the first Linden god. He's allowed to wear any kind of hair he wants. :P

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Haha 1

Flexi does clip through the body which often especially in long hair looks bad. But really long mesh hair doesn't move right either stretching oddly. And that animated Lelutka hair on the first page just looks scarey.

The way flexi moves is much more realistic than that animated mesh hair, it moves with the animations, and looks much more natural 

Mesh is better for precision now but even now I am very fussy and only a handful of hairs I like on myself... Others seem to find lovely hairs... but on me I am extra fussy.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

I like the combination of mostly-mesh hair with added bits of flexi, just to give it that little bit of dynamic movement.

Mesh hair on its own is generally way too static (even if rigged) if the avatar is supposed to look realistic/detailed. Hair made entirely of flexi prims is easily overdone and ends up looking pretty chaotic while the avatar is moving.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.