Flexi hair. Yes or no ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do not miss pure flexy hairs to be honest since it clips trough your body and everything else, and got a unnatural movement in my opinion, but I do think it would of been nice if creators added some flexy strands with their hairs, so there's some movement going on, like for example barberyumyum's 47B hair, which is a rigged hair with a few flexy strands.

Since I mostly wear hair that is shoulder length or shorter, I don't really have the issue of the hair going through my body, thus I love flexi hair.  Most of my older ones are just way too high in complexity, but some are not super high and I'll wear them sometimes.  I also have some newer ones that combine flexi with mesh.

I also have a few mesh skirts/dresses that have some flexi additions that are too high in CI and those are great for dancing.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, Aethelwine said:

The way flexi moves is much more realistic than that animated mesh hair, it moves with the animations, and looks much more natural

This argument always baffles me. 

Have you ever seen someone dancing with long flexi hair? There is literally nothing realistic and natural about it. Even a simple walking ao will have it clipping through your body.

Totally realistic and natural though. Totally. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

This argument always baffles me. 

Have you ever seen someone dancing with long flexi hair? There is literally nothing realistic and natural about it. Even a simple walking ao will have it clipping through your body.

Totally realistic and natural though. Totally. 

That is true, but it was never something I noticed until others pointed it out then it is hard to unsee and I have then had a similar reaction to yourself. But some long hair is worse for it than others depending on how it is shaped, unrigged mesh hair does exactly the same thing and rigged long mesh hair avoids that problem but it comes instead with a sort of playdough effect around the neck that deforms unnaturally with movement and rigged mesh has none of the natural bounce and movement that flexi hair has.

Long hair never looks perfect here, why I go for shorter cuts, and shoulder length the maximum length I will go for with a regular look.

4 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

That is true, but it was never something I noticed until others pointed it out then it is hard to unsee and I have then had a similar reaction to yourself. But some long hair is worse for it than others depending on how it is shaped, unrigged mesh hair does exactly the same thing and rigged long mesh hair avoids that problem but it comes instead with a sort of playdough effect around the neck that deforms unnaturally with movement and rigged mesh has none of the natural bounce and movement that flexi hair has.

Long hair never looks perfect here, why I go for shorter cuts, and shoulder length the maximum length I will go for with a regular look.

I think flexi is more suitable for short hair styles making it harder to clip through the body. But even then, it doesnt "flow" and thats due to SL itself, honestly. Limitations. 

Someone mentioned animesh hair which could be a huge game changer but again... Attachment points are severely limited. 

i wear mesh hair now. But still love my flex tail

flex2.png.066bfd834dd40f8afe60ab2587457c87.png

my tail is 37 prims. The bow and gather is 5 prims - 2 textures. The tail flex is 32 flex cylinder prims - 1 texture. Each flex prim set to different texture sizings and rotations. And 1 of 4 flexible path settings - light to heavy

prim LI = 126. convex hull LI = 68.

weights: 11.4 download, 125.9 physics, 19.0 server. 5800 display

has two scripts, one for bow colour change and twitch. The other is a touch me variation of Smedley Says script

flex1.png

10 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

That is true, but it was never something I noticed until others pointed it out

This is what I think is so sad about the rush to "higher quality" in Secondlife. There you are, enjoying yourself and loving your world, and all of a sudden somebody tells you how awful part of it looks, and once you've seen it and accepted their point of view, you can't go back. The magic spell has been broken.

It's like being at the theatre watching a magic show and having somebody in the audience constantly babbling on about how the trick is being done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mercedes Avon said:

I wear mesh hair mostly now, but I was a hold out for a long time because I wore a lot of curly hair. I do not think you can get short curly hair that looks quite right with mesh (yet). I do still wear flexi from time to time.

I have on short curl mesh hair I LOVE and wear all the time.

51204461790_47746a2601_o.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Mercedes Avon said:

You proved me wrong. That looks beautiful. The avie is a stunner.

Thanks!  It's the only one I've found.  It comes in several styles/lengths at no.match.

Version 1, I think has 2 length.  Version 2, which is this one, has one.  I don't recall.the name.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.