New SecondLife.com homepage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

The new homepage features the shiny new blue logo! What's up with the picture of a real person, and not an avatar?

These days it costs far more to buy a mesh head, body, skin, makeup, clothing & accessories than to just hire a RL actress in cosplay to take a pic? 😆

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 17

3 hours ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

What's up with the picture of a real person, and not an avatar?

What if it's part of the new default avatar lineup? :P

Making a prominent "Download" link for the viewer is good. That's been hidden for a long time.

"Remote Meetings Redefined" is brilliant.

Link to browse the marketplace is smart too.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

They couldn't have taken one of the awesome Pics of the Day?

Agreed.

Edited by Evah Baxton
  • Like 1

It was only a couple of days ago we were complaining about the awful pics used for the Premium page. LL seems to have responded with a "Oh yeah? Hold my beer . . .," and gone entirely in the other direction.

There is, obviously, no way you could ever achieve a look like that natively in SL. And triply so as a noob.

I foresee some very annoyed new users.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Evah Baxton said:

Making a prominent "Download" link for the viewer is good. That's been hidden for a long time.

"Remote Meetings Redefined" is brilliant.

Link to browse the marketplace is smart too.

Yes to all of that. But I think it was executed poorly with a very misleading image (as I ranted about in that other thread).
The old pages tended to look ... TOO much like a screenshot from 10 years ago. Many of the images do need updating. But this was just waaaaaaay too much "not SL." Do the new owners even know what they bought? (Or care?)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, fine. Sorry for posting my thread after you started yours. I didn't see this one.

You're clearly out of practice.

Maybe you need to get back in shape . . . stick around a bit, do some forum calisthenics? That sort of thing?

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm an annoyed old user.

Take a number. We're going to be waist deep in them when more people see this.

I just don't understand the thinking here. It's not just that this is "misleading." The vast gulf between what they seem to be promising and what the average new user is likely to see in their first, oh I don't know . . . forever? . . . is going to generate a backlash.

You can't lie this egregiously and not piss people off.

Where are their heads at?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This isn't the sort of mistake any seasoned LL staff would make. This really looks like the sort of bone-headed mandate that would come down from new management that's taking cluelessness to a whole new level.

Except that this is surely why the old executive is still in place? To provide the continuity and experience that would prevent this kind of stupidity?

(I don't know why I'm responding to you here, as we're currently talking about this in-world. Bone-headed of me?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Except that this is surely why the old executive is still in place? To provide the continuity and experience that would prevent this kind of stupidity?

(I don't know why I'm responding to you here, as we're currently talking about this in-world. Bone-headed of me?)

Would you rather believe that seasoned LL staff thought this up?

• Like 1

Well I tried to get to the home page in various ways and EACH time it redirects to my account backend page.  So I am not seeing what you guys are seeing apparently. Maybe just a test. Odd though not to have a 'welcome'. page. 

AH 

I went there in EDGE (new computer an only use Edge when I can't get there any other way). And THEN I can see what you are talking about. Apparently if you have cookies on and account it takes you to your account page?  Odd for sure (long time long ago webpage designer ).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing they say is **untrue** but they failed to say three very important things;

#1..Second Life is not any one thing. It can be a game, it can be a social network or it can be something else as you decide. The important thing to remember is that there *are* no Non-Player-Characters; so treat others like the Real People they are.

#2..Second Life is like Real Life; it is what you make of it (you just look younger/better/furrier here). Talk to people and use Search to discover things to do, because if you wait for someone to lead you by the hand; you may get lonely.

#3..Second Life is the realm of imagination. No one here is under any compulsion to resemble their Real Life appearance or demographics. That being said; we have some of the most beautiful minds and most-liberated spirits you will find on the Interweb.

image.gif

• Like 1

Maybe we're looking at this all wrong?

What if the faerie (is that a faerie?) shown on the splash page is a representation of their new target RL customer, not of what to expect in-world. Maybe they have inside knowledge that a Covid-19 variant is highly contagious and lethal to faeries and there will soon be a lot of them with time on their hands as they isolate in their... whatever it is they live in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.