New SecondLife.com homepage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 hours ago, Braclo Eber said:

I am guessing it is related to the new commercial they teased back in December.

If that commercial is almost ready to be released, it makes sense to match the homepage to something similar.
*Edit - this is the blogpost

Makes sense but are they planning on finishing the rest of the website??? The forums and main page are all nicely updated and looking nice while the rest of their website and marketplace looks severely dated. Its weird. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

A younger female face and you've got it.  At a distance it looks like an aging trans guy.  

I think you got your transes mixed up. Trans girl is the one you're looking for. And that's basically what I am. (I used my usual head and shape for this pic). Oh and thanks for the insult. I'll be sure to remember it.

And I already know about the fantasy community, I've been in it for the past several years.

What I did there was a brief experiment in how possible an avatar like that would be. My conclusion is that it's only possible with Maitreya, so it's not something that can be achieved by the average new starter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I think you got your transes mixed up. Trans girl is the one you're looking for. And that's basically what I am. (I used my usual head and shape for this pic). Oh and thanks for the insult. I'll be sure to remember it.

I was comparing it to the SL Photo, and the RL model was a woman (I think). So you used a male Catwa head on a female body,  which is why I said the head looked like a guy.  Trans girl is what I should have said, but it had the head shape of a man, so that's what came out.  No insult intended, and not sure what your chosen gender has to do with building an SLavatar that looked close to the RL photo.  You didn't say it was your normal avatar, with blue skin, so why would I think that was you? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I was comparing it to the SL Photo, and the RL model was a woman (I think). So you used a male Catwa head on a female body,  which is why I said the head looked like a guy.  Trans girl is what I should have said, but it had the head shape of a man, so that's what came out.  No insult intended, and not sure what your chosen gender has to do with building an SLavatar that looked close to the RL photo.  You didn't say it was your normal avatar, with blue skin, so why would I think that was you? 

I use a female head, female shape and female skin, both normally and in this pic.

The McDonalds burger and the KFC chicken nuggets in their ads don't look exactly as what you get once inside the "restaurant" either.
So I cut LL some slack.
Exaggeration is common in advertisement.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

Look at all the games, the pictures on the box are never exactly what you get.
TV commercials show stories with the characters that are never possible when you install the game.

Of course they don't show a sim crossing that goes sour at their home page,  or the gray world  after TP-ing into Bellisseria.
This thread smells a bit like: "Yes!! we can do some LL bashing, let's do plenty off it." to be honest.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Yes I can.

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Look at all the games, the pictures on the box are never exactly what you get.

This hasn't been the case in a long time. Screenshots on retail packaging are expected to be exactly representative. Game developers have gotten a lot of industry backlash with misleading footage for press and trade shows.

The expectation is very clear.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The McDonalds burger and the KFC chicken nuggets in their ads don't look exactly as what you get once inside the "restaurant" either.
So I cut LL some slack.
Exaggeration is common in advertisement.

This is a case of selling the sizzle, not the steak. Anyone who's eaten food knows it doesn't look like the ad imagery.

It's a tougher sell when the food is... imagery.

• Like 1

They think that the issue is SecondLife is perceived as old and are trying to refresh I guess. The age of Secondlife hasn't stopped me playing and if I knew what I could do on SecondLife as an outsider today I would still sign up even though the platform is old.

What I think SL Really needs to do is stop worrying about brand image and worry about brand recognition, do a Coca-cola and get its name everywhere. Make sure everyone with a computer knows what Secondlife is and what it can do and the cool things they can do with it. Keep it on peoples minds until they are tempted to try it.

Also, work on churn, new users don't mean much if they quit after 10 minutes

14 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

They think that the issue is SecondLife is perceived as old and are trying to refresh I guess.

A lack of forward product development has created a situation where that is true. 

SL is old and it's going to take more than a slight logo adjustment and blue elf cosplay to change.

LL needs to embrace the image and go all in.

SL is the most progressive user created space on the internet and should push hard to associate it's brand with all aspects of that.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, we all get giant green screen sound stages, flying hoist rigs and trainers, high-tech motion capture, and professional cosplay costume and makeup artists to create our individual Second Life?

That might be worth logging in to watch.

• Like 1

The Lindens have never gotten the front page right, what can you do, they make virtual worlds, not web sites.

On the other hand, those fancy new "immersive" web sites today that you can't scroll on normally (meant for touch pad  or mouse top scroll which ordinary people who aren't gamers don't really use) drive me crazy, just had to work on one for months on end in RL. 

I think LL has to find that happy medium between complicated hipster high tech web site winning accolades from their peers, which norms can't really scroll through and low-end bare-bones site that will load in developing countries with poor Internet. They could be at that happy medium, and we wouldn't know it.

I don't think it's the worst thing to have a real human being on the front page, because after all, they're trying to appeal to real human beings who might then imagine themselves going into a virtual world to do...something. 

I think they took the idea of this particular LARP guy from that movie? What was it called? Alien? Where all the people have blue skin? And it's like a planet with big leafy foliage? You know the one.

The other thing they have introduced is the feeling of teleportation as you move from page to page. I think that's an innovation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The other thing they have introduced is the feeling of teleportation as you move from page to page. I think that's an innovation.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Is it this?...
2006978907_ScreenShot2021-04-22at5_01_59PM.thumb.png.bb8e3d84eb7f53ccc8756f7379725503.png

That teleport-like progress bar appears every time I return to the splash page, and takes 3.5 seconds. People who have never experienced SL will not understand that this is a reference to teleporting. They'll just see it as a senseless and frustrating 3.5 second page load delay. Those of us who do understand teleporting might see that as an ironic (though still frustrating) truth-in-advertising nod to the sometimes senseless teleport delays and failures that mar the SL experience.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The Lindens have never gotten the front page right, what can you do, they make virtual worlds, not web sites.

On the other hand, those fancy new "immersive" web sites today that you can't scroll on normally (meant for touch pad  or mouse top scroll which ordinary people who aren't gamers don't really use) drive me crazy, just had to work on one for months on end in RL. 

I think LL has to find that happy medium between complicated hipster high tech web site winning accolades from their peers, which norms can't really scroll through and low-end bare-bones site that will load in developing countries with poor Internet. They could be at that happy medium, and we wouldn't know it.

I don't think it's the worst thing to have a real human being on the front page, because after all, they're trying to appeal to real human beings who might then imagine themselves going into a virtual world to do...something. 

I think they took the idea of this particular LARP guy from that movie? What was it called? Alien? Where all the people have blue skin? And it's like a planet with big leafy foliage? You know the one.

Well, the problem here is they only changed the front page. You’re supposed to give the entire website a complete makeover so it doesn’t look tacky. Their entire site structure is a mess. I used to design websites so this really gets under my skin.

Yes, it’s a lot of work and they need to hire an outside team to do it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.