New SecondLife.com homepage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Whoever likened it to an MMO is right on the money. No idea what they're going for. Anyone clicking through thinking that is gonna be hella disappointed. 

SL doesn't and can't offer instant gratification, especially for new users. That first login experience is brutal.

Failure to manage and create realistic / achievable expectations makes people feel lied to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It looks like a strange render - the detailing in the hair strands don’t even appear to be photoshopped in, but rendered. Perhaps the image was used as a suggestion that “you can be anything you want to be” 

but all I really want to do now is play an mmo based on the movie Avatar where I don’t have to spend 13k lindens, and live my best Navi life. 

Where’s my new starter avatar + bow and arrow? 😭

• Haha 1

I am guessing it is related to the new commercial they teased back in December.

If that commercial is almost ready to be released, it makes sense to match the homepage to something similar.
*Edit - this is the blogpost

Edited by Braclo Eber
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I tried to get to the home page in various ways and EACH time it redirects to my account backend page.  So I am not seeing what you guys are seeing apparently. Maybe just a test. Odd though not to have a 'welcome'. page. 

AH 

I went there in EDGE (new computer an only use Edge when I can't get there any other way). And THEN I can see what you are talking about. Apparently if you have cookies on and account it takes you to your account page?  Odd for sure (long time long ago webpage designer ).

I turned off cookies so it didn't go to my account. Didn't want to have to log out then back in.

1 hour ago, Braclo Eber said:

If that commercial is almost ready to be released, it makes sense to match the homepage to something similar.

That 'commercial' tease and the new website homepage (only) design - I want my Linden Dollar fee money back 😒

Who creates a new website and only does a homepage update and leaves all other pages as direct links from the homepage the old 2010 look....

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

That 'commercial' tease and the new website homepage (only) design - I want my Linden Dollar fee money back  😒

Who creates a new website and only does a homepage update and leaves all other pages as direct links from the homepage the old 2010 look....

some one doing a static roll out, instead of a mass roll out.   

10 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

some one doing a static roll out, instead of a mass roll out.   

I would have said the same if it was a complicated site with lots of pages but literally they have 5 pages to convert. Home, Download, sign up, Login and Destination Guide. 4 if you remove the sign up page.

Worse still is that the places page actually matches the theme but destination guide doesn't??

Not to mention that the places page has a more fitting footer for the homepage whereas the new homepage's footer fits the 2010 theme prior. The site is a mess.

Marketplace is a ecommerce page and they can differ in theme.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

I would have said the same if it was a complicated site with lots of pages but literally they have 5 pages to convert. Home, Download, sign up, Login and Destination Guide. 4 if you remove the sign up page.

Worse still is that the places page actually matches the theme but destination guide doesn't??

Not to mention that the places page has a more fitting footer for the homepage whereas the new homepage's footer fits the 2010 theme prior. The site is a mess.

Marketplace is a ecommerce page and they can differ in theme.

I remember they moved everything over to lithium, that included the other pages,  now with that move, those sites because self hosted, unlike their lithium forum with was lithium hosted,  now that style has stuck from lithium, to me,   with how I roll out,   I typically push the first page and then roll with the others when I have time, I have zero idea how many people they have on their webdev side either, so with that said, this might be a roll like I have to do to verify everything, which sucks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I remember they moved everything over to lithium, that included the other pages,  now with that move, those sites because self hosted, unlike their lithium forum with was lithium hosted,  now that style has stuck from lithium, to me,   with how I roll out,   I typically push the first page and then roll with the others when I have time, I have zero idea how many people they have on their webdev side either, so with that said, this might be a roll like I have to do to verify everything, which sucks. 

Hmm didn't know about the lithium hosting so yeah possibly. The issue with all this though is how long it will take LL to update the remainder. Considering they seemed to be working on the website last year with the logo update and the change to the places page being different to all others it makes me wonder whether it will stay like it is for a little to long which is what we all have come to expect with LL.

Edited by Drayke Newall

2 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Hmm didn't know about the lithium hosting so yeah possibly. The issue with all this though is how long it will take LL to update the remainder. Considering they seemed to be working on the website last year with the logo update and the change to the places page being different to all others it makes me wonder whether it will stay like it is for a little to long which is what we all have come to expect with LL.

well those lithium pages have been with us, 2011ish?   so what ever intergration they had with lithium, I bet is still in the html code someplace and they are having to do a page by page replace,  since removing ones self from a hosted solution and keeping the look and fele is sometimes just easy as commenting or removing certain lines, and hacking them to work.   I would love to help replace them, but not sure LL wants to do a self hosted CRM solution or not.

4 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

well those lithium pages have been with us, 2011ish?   so what ever intergration they had with lithium, I bet is still in the html code someplace and they are having to do a page by page replace,  since removing ones self from a hosted solution and keeping the look and fele is sometimes just easy as commenting or removing certain lines, and hacking them to work.   I would love to help replace them, but not sure LL wants to do a self hosted CRM solution or not.

I would have thought at that point it probably would have been easier to build a new website rather than try edit existing code that has snippets of lithium hosting code in it, but I have only done 2 basic websites and that was around 2012 so maybe things have changed. I am certainly no pro that's for sure XD

Edited by Drayke Newall

2 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

I would have thought at that point it probably would have been easier to build a new website rather than try edit existing code that has snippets of lithium hosting code in it, but I have only done 2 basic websites and that was around 2012 so maybe things have changed. I am certainly no pro that's for sure XD

I moved our community with the car forum some years ago with a hosted solution,   even after all I did, there are bits of hosted code still in them so they function and that's even in the CSS that makes calls to the old hosted solution so some of the images stay working...   I need to fix that, but limited on time.     A new site,  yeah they should and they should look hard and deep for a real solution where they can keep it rocking for years to come without having it go stale.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Braclo Eber said:

I saw it for the first time, and I don't get it.

Unless, this is video #1 and video #2 show you how they dress up avatars, without any studio, makeup team and lifting up, in Second Life.

Like: "Look at all you would need in Real life to create fantasy images, while you can create "almost" the same in Second life".

Because I can make avatars like that, and just add effects to the hands, to make SL images look "almost" like RL.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

A new site,  yeah they should and they should look hard and deep for a real solution where they can keep it rocking for years to come without having it go stale.

For me and in these times I just find the whole new homepage to static. No movement or dynamic punch to it, not to mention white space with static floating boxes on drop shadows.

Their meetings learn more link landing is far better. HOME | Second Life Work - Virtual World Meetings, Event & Conferences Dynamic movie that says more about SL than the fairy pic and screen width everywhere and little whitespace.

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I saw it for the first time, and I don't get it.

Unless, this is video #1 and video #2 show you how they dress up avatars, without any studio, makeup team and lifting up, in Second Life.

Like: "Look at all you would need in Real life to create fantasy images, while you can create "almost" the same in Second life".

Because I can make avatars like that, and just add effects to the hands, to make SL images look "almost" like RL.

I would dare say given the green screens they are going to have different fantasy worlds behind them and then try and play on the whole be whoever you want to be manta. 

Terrible idea that has been overused if you ask me.

Edited by Drayke Newall
Their not there

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.